Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smobot

Options
I received my Smobot today. According to Eric and Curtis, who sell them, I am their first production customer. 

Will install all and test this weekend. 

Michael
Large BGE
Reno, NV

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I got mine a few days ago (Kickstarter) and have it running right now.

No food - just testing it to see how well it runs and holds temp on my KJ Jr. The damper is not meant to fit on a Jr. It's a bit too large so it is bolted on a bit off center.

So far so good. It's been running since 2:00PM EDT with a set point of 275°F.

It has had a few swings of a few degrees above or below but for the most part it stay right on the mark.

I'm surprised it is still holding temp after eight hours. I just had some lump left over from my last use and didn't think there was enough left in there to be running this long.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SBGonzo
    SBGonzo Posts: 137
    Options
    Ohh, I want one. Lol Are they now selling them? 
  • reinhart36
    reinhart36 Posts: 253
    Options
    HeavyG said:

I'm surprised it is still holding temp after eight hours. I just had some lump left over from my last use and didn't think there was enough left in there to be running this long.

Thanks for posting - all of you!

@HeavyG - as a side note, controlling temps in that old charcoal that's running thin is especially tough.  With a fresh load of lump, you should see more stable results.

Thanks again for the support!

Eric

• HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Thanks for posting - all of you!

@HeavyG - as a side note, controlling temps in that old charcoal that's running thin is especially tough.  With a fresh load of lump, you should see more stable results.

Thanks again for the support!

Eric

Oh, I don't fault the Smobot at all, I'm sure the lump pile is such that I would have difficulty holding a temp this steady with no controller or a fan type controller.

Quick question - how do I interpret the numbers for the damper graphic open/closed?

Thanks!

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• reinhart36
    reinhart36 Posts: 253
    Options
    I'd say, don't worry about what that mouse-over number says right now.  That was an oversight, and the picture was just intended to be a notional indicator of damper position.

We're in the process of deploying the new mysmobot, which will report a meaningful damper position, use the proper time zone, and will offer remote setpoint changes, etc.  That's just days out.

Thank you kindly!
    Eric
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    edited August 2017
    Options
    HeavyG said:

No food - 

shocking.  =)=)=)=)=)=)=)
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Legume said:
    HeavyG said:

No food - 

shocking.  =)=)=)=)=)=)=)
    Hahaha...good one!

• HeavyG
    Options
    I'd say, don't worry about what that mouse-over number says right now.  That was an oversight, and the picture was just intended to be a notional indicator of damper position.

We're in the process of deploying the new mysmobot, which will report a meaningful damper position, use the proper time zone, and will offer remote setpoint changes, etc.  That's just days out.

Thank you kindly!
    Eric
    Do you plan to force data refreshes to the users browser or will users need to continue to manually refresh their browser to display?

Do you plan to offer alarms/notifications for high and low temps for the probes?

Thanks.

• Smokin_Trout
    Options
    I used mine for the first time yesterday. Tried logging into the new website and it didn't recognize my password. Not a big deal, reset the password and got right in.  Poked around a little and it asked for password, had to reset it again. Tried resetting and putting in a ticket, but it still wouldn't take it. 
    @reinhart36 HELP
    It does a great job holding Temp. 
    Need a few notifications for food and egg temp low and high. 
    Would also be nice if you had an option for setting up a start up mode that would run it to 400 and then drop it back down to help getting clean burn. Then the same kind of thing when shutting down to burn off the grate. 
  • bigegger
    bigegger Posts: 87
    Options
    How wide open is the bottom vent when a smobot is used?
    LBGE with 76" Challenger Cooking Island
  • HeavyG
    Options
    bigegger said:
    I leave mine open a couple of inches or so.

• CanDid
    CanDid Posts: 106
    Options
    bigegger said:
    It is recommended that the bottom vent is halfway open for low & slow. Open more for 350-400 degree setpoint temps.
    BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    1/2 way open? Dayum. I'm usually credit card thickness on the bottom and 3/4 of the daisy openings for a low and slow. 
  • CanDid
    CanDid Posts: 106
    edited August 2017
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    1/2 way open? Dayum. I'm usually credit card thickness on the bottom and 3/4 of the daisy openings for a low and slow. 
    Yes, that is what @reinhart36 recommended in a previous smobot discussion. I'm sure if you're doing something different and its performing well, then it doesn't matter. I think that's just a starting point.

DISCLAIMER: I don't own one.... yet. I've just been following all the discussions, researching them and watching all the videos. I'm sort of a nerd like that.
    BGE XL
    NWArkansas