Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rusted fire ring

Options
has anyone every experienced this? Kind of odd to me... never had moisture in the egg. Do you think it is still safe to use?

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    There is moisture in the air and its iron. I would be shocked if it was not rusty. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,347
    Options
    Of course it's safe to use 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Common, and yes safe to use.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • drdeal
    drdeal Posts: 23
    Options
    Cool - thanks for the help!
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    edited August 2017
    Options
    It should work right to the point that it rusts completely through, so... many years.  When the day comes, consider the High Que grate.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    no offense, but that is the grate. The fire ring is that ceramic round thing that sits on top of the fire box in which your rusted grate resides at the bottom. I just wanted to cover those terms if and when it comes time to file a warranty claim. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    RRP said:
    no offense, but that is the grate. The fire ring is that ceramic round thing that sits on top of the fire box in which your rusted grate resides at the bottom. I just wanted to cover those terms if and when it comes time to file a warranty claim. 
    Your correct Ron. If the fire ring rusted, we would have an oddity!
  • dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    RRP said:
    This forum is full of oddities. ;)

XL BGE
    MD
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    dsrguns said:
    RRP said:
    This forum is full of oddities. ;)
    You got that right. 

Little Rock, AR

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    He posted a photo to show what he meant, so that was good. Not a big deal. It's like the little gadget that holds the cartridges used in a semiautomatic pistol. Probably 90% of people call it a clip, but the proper term is magazine. We all mostly get it, but it's great when the right word is used.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    At least he didn't call it the plaCesetter. 

Little Rock, AR

• RRP
    Options
    Perhaps so, but I'd rather see plaCesetter than that stupid "conveggtor" name! :s
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    RRP said:
    Perhaps so, but I'd rather see plaCesetter than that stupid "conveggtor" name! :s
    Yeah that word doesn't even exist in my vocabulary. Thats almost grounds to buy a KJ. Almost. 

Little Rock, AR

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    He posted a photo to show what he meant, so that was good. Not a big deal. It's like the little gadget that holds the cartridges used in a semiautomatic pistol. Probably 90% of people call it a clip, but the proper term is magazine. We all mostly get it, but it's great when the right word is used.
    I shudder each time I hear 'clip' used in that context.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Let's make damn sure we know all the parts names correctly... Quiz on Wednesday. Smh
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Options
    You're okay until your mangrate rusts.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    It's iron oxide... Not rust. Just in case a chemist calls. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RRP
    edited August 2017
    Options
    henapple said:
    Let's make damn sure we know all the parts names correctly... Quiz on Wednesday. Smh
    Reminds me of this old story:
    a woman from the hills storms into a big city hospital and demands:
    "I want to see an upturn!"

the receptionst replies, "an upturn? You mean an intern? "
    Woman: "intern upturn whatever"

Receptionist: "how may the intern help you?"
    Woman: "I need a contamination!"

Receptionist: "contamination? You mean an examination?"
    Woman: "look, b*tch, I don't know the right terms, but Billy Bob drewed me and I haven't demonstrated in 3 months and I think I'm stagnant!