Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate Setter

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Besides ribs, what else, meats or seafood, do u recommend to be BBQ'd on the plate setter. thanks for all your help.
Frank

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Frank Dilling,
    perhaps it's just your choice of words, but food is not cooked "ON" a plate setter. It is used as an indirect device or with a pizza stone on top of it to bake pizzas, bread etc. Not meaning to split hairs here but the "on" threw me.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Frank Dilling,I meant "using" the plate setter not "on" the plate setter. Sorry for the confusion.

• uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    Frank Dilling,
    I think of the plate setter as being used to shield the food being cooked from direct radiant heat. Anything that is going to be on the grid for a long time would likely need the indirect method, i.e. Boston butt, brisket, etc. Even with a raised grid, I think the direct radiant heat will really speed things up, and probably produce a big difference between the top and the bottom of the food. Turning would be more likely to be required. If you're trying to use the juices in a pan under your meat, shielding the pan would help prevent burning of the drippings.
    Also, the added ceramic mass would help some with temperature stabilization.
    Most people here seem to recommend putting one's pizza stone on the plate setter to moderate the stone's temp. and help prevent burning.
    My 2c.

• Frank Dilling,
    I'd be careful Frank, I've heard some people say (the crazy ones) that those plate setters can get as hot as the sun. Don't believe 'em though. They're great for keeping hot spots evened out and flame-ups almost a thing of the past. My favorites are briskets and butts.[p]Stefan.

• uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    SonOfDaMayor,
    I think I see why my post caused some confusion. The direct radiant heat I was talking about was without the plate setter. I think the plate setter blocks all that. That was the point I was trying to make, anyway. I would not consider a low and slow without some form of radiant heat shield.
    Free flight of ideas can get me into trouble sometimes.

• uncbbq,
    Oh, I understood what you were saying. I was taking the opportunity to poke fun at some of those other fellers as well as give you my two cents.[p]STefan.

• uncbbq,
    I put the plate setter on legs up and the cooking grid on top of the legs then place my pizza stone on top of the cooking grid when doing pizza.[p] Cook them between 500º and 650º and haven't burned a crust since changing to this method. 6 to 8 minutes for a large pizza with multiple toppings and a heaping big ole pile of cheese is pretty fast but long enough for burned crust if you're not careful.

• Meatloaf, Paella, Chili, Red Beans and Rice, Baked Beans, Pizza, Bread, Pies to name a few[p]Basically anything that would normally bake in an oven.[p]... and SirKeats cat with Dizzy Pig (of course)[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• I am cooking pretty much everything with the plate setter these days (legs up, grid on top). I learned my bbq ropes from the Argentineans and they do everything slow. I cooked up some nice tenderloins the other day about 40 minutes at 325. You don't get the sear, but you get a nice even cook throughout the meat. I haven't had such a nice steak since eating parilla in Buenos Aires. I also threw on some chorizos and they cooked up so moist, I couldn't believe it. They were a little quicker, maybe 25 minutes. Corn is another awesome plate setter item!
  • EdF
    EdF Posts: 121
    One thing I often do is when doing that kind of indirect cook is to pull out the plate setter at the end, open the vents to raise the heat, then give it a quick sear.