Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggmates composite or wood shelves?

Options
Bombshell
Bombshell Posts: 1
edited August 2017 in EggHead Forum
Im buying my first BGE tomorrow, yes I'm a newbie

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    Welcome! Congrats! You will get mixed answers for mates. I like the look of wood mates better if you keep up with the maintenance on them. The composite is maybe a little easier to clean/maintain but maybe looks a little cheaper. Whatever you decide will be a win. The mates come in handy no matter which one you decide on
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Composite. No weathering no refinishing. I've had both and now all of my eggs have composite. Most importantly congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the club. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
    Options
    Composite here.  Only problem with composite is you cannot set hot things directly on them.  Aside from that, they are maintenance free except for occasionally hosing them down.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Greetings and welcome.  Composite gets my vote for the mates.

Phoenix 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I'm in the composite camp. It took me a while to convert, but the lack of maintenance is key and the fact you can get the "three slat" model which offers more real estate then the others are key IMO. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    I have composite. Not as 'nice' as wood, but more practical.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited August 2017
    Options
    The wood looks better, but it weathers and stains.  The composite ones are larger, no maintenance, but in the end are plastic.

Not sure about heat resistance.....anybody ever had an ember land on them or set a hot grate on them?

Kind of comes down to if you're going to cover the egg or not.

I had the old cedar mates, so when I rebuilt my desk out of tigerwood, I replaced the slats on the mates with the scrap boards so it matched.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    I'm in the process of removing the wooden 4-slat mates and replacing with 2 6-inch red oak 1x6's.  I'm staining them the same as the deck, but them I am going to also either poly them or epoxy them.  Thinking of also trying the fiberglass impregnated concrete that'll be very lightweight, but also offer some heat resistance..... I've gotta play with it first before I'll make an official go at it!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    My two cents is to buy the egg only. You can find a nest and mates on Craigslist for virtually nothing. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,342
    Options
    I like my wood slats. I'd like my table even better, if I'd get it built
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I like the wood     Think the plastic look cheap   mine get stained from things I sit on them or spill but a little wood/deck stain will make them look good again and match a side table
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    I'm in the composite camp. It took me a while to convert, but the lack of maintenance is key and the fact you can get the "three slat" model which offers more real estate then the others are key IMO. 
    Any idea on the size difference between the 2 and 3 slat composite design on the XL?
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    GoldenQ said:
    I like the wood     Think the plastic look cheap   mine get stained from things I sit on them or spill but a little wood/deck stain will make them look good again and match a side table
    I put about a half dozen clear coats on mine before using them. Replaced the screws with stainless as well. 
  • WeberWho
    Options
    I'm in the process of removing the wooden 4-slat mates and replacing with 2 6-inch red oak 1x6's.  I'm staining them the same as the deck, but them I am going to also either poly them or epoxy them.  Thinking of also trying the fiberglass impregnated concrete that'll be very lightweight, but also offer some heat resistance..... I've gotta play with it first before I'll make an official go at it!
    I also switched out to red oak. Something a little more durable 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Any idea on the size difference between the 2 and 3 slat composite design on the XL?
    It's got to be @ 4-5" on each side. It doesn't sound like much, but it's significant. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    My two cents is to buy the egg only. You can find a nest and mates on Craigslist for virtually nothing. 
    Along this train of thought.  . . 

Egg only and get a nice stainless prep table.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    It's got to be @ 4-5" on each side. It doesn't sound like much, but it's significant. 

I believe they discontinued the 2-slat. 
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    WeberWho said:

My wife is pretty accommodating but how the heck did you talk yours into keeping the egg in the house. Nice shelves.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I switched from wood to XL three slat composite on my LBGE. Lots more work space and they look much better than the weathered wood ones.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • WeberWho
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    WeberWho said:

My wife is pretty accommodating but how the heck did you talk yours into keeping the egg in the house. Nice shelves.
    Thanks! @td66snrf Cold winters here in MN. Too cold in the garage so I brought it into the house. I also had to figure out if I could make large mates fit on a small egg. My wife doesn't seem to mind when I start pulling things into the house. She wasn't too happy when I spilled a bunch of chemicals on kitchen table and ruined the finish on it. (Different project) Too be honest she wasn't mad. She called it before it even happend. She was right!

Minnesota
  • bjeans
    bjeans Posts: 191
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    WeberWho said:

I told my husband we should get the Nest Handler for a couple of reasons, including if it was snowing hard we could more easily wheel it into the kitchen until the snow was over and he shoveled a space for it. He's the one who said we wouldn't want to bring it into the house. (Agree, really pretty shelves.) 

Beth
    Ex LBGE owner and current BGE liker 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Along this train of thought.  . . 

Egg only and get a nice stainless prep table.  
    I say build a nice cinder block outdoor kitchen with granite or concrete tops, stone veneer on the outside, built in fridge, sink, and storage area.  Then a nice full roof, lights, tv, and stereo.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options
    Composite gets my vote. Easy to clean, more work space and no refinishing.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    bjeans said:
    td66snrf said:
    WeberWho said:

I told my husband we should get the Nest Handler for a couple of reasons, including if it was snowing hard we could more easily wheel it into the kitchen until the snow was over and he shoveled a space for it. He's the one who said we wouldn't want to bring it into the house. (Agree, really pretty shelves.) 

Beth
    +1 on the handler.  I consider that a necessary safety addition if you ever plan to move your egg, even just a few feet.