Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Open pit rotisserie ---- ghetto setup

Options
So this evening I was bored, the kids were outside riding bikes, so I decided to build an open pit rotisserie setup using my outdoor fire pit.  I had 2 rules, (1) using materials I could find in the gararage, i.e. no trips to Home Depot and (2) it had to be removable, something I could break down when not in use.  I had the rotisserie setup from an old gasser, that we discarded once we got the BGE, which I repurposed. I built a simple stand for the motor using brackets and a 2x4. Probably not a good idea to use wood, but that's what I had...lol. We will see if it catches fire. (I might have to rethink this). I probably will have to get a few bricks to elevate it a bit. Anyway here is my ghetto (no trips to the hardware store) rotisserie setup!

(During the summer I throw all the sticks that fall down in the pit....for the first fall outdoor fire...too hot now in Atlanta)

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Way to audible but let me see if I get the punch-line.  All this work and not firing it up cuz it's too hot... ??
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SBGonzo
    SBGonzo Posts: 137
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Way to audible but let me see if I get the punch-line.  All this work and not firing it up cuz it's too hot... ??
    Soon my friend soon lol. Oh and my wife thinks I am crazy...2 eggs, a blackstone and now this. Lol 
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I think this is a GREAT idea come fall and winter.  The only thing I would be worried about is the wood putting off too much smoke or the wrong kind of smoke.  I'm guessing you would let the thick stuff burn off before you put the meat on the rotisserie. 
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You'll be fine with the wood.

There's a video on utube by a guy who uses a weber rotisserie setup. He contends it's better not to put the weber dome on, that leaving it open is preferred. I don't recall why. =) I have done that with my weber a couple of times and it worked well though it does take a while. Note the wood bracket by the motor...

So you're good to go.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SBGonzo
    Options
    You'll be fine with the wood.

There's a video on utube by a guy who uses a weber rotisserie setup. He contends it's better not to put the weber dome on, that leaving it open is preferred. I don't recall why. =) I have done that with my weber a couple of times and it worked well though it does take a while. Note the wood bracket by the motor...

So you're good to go.

Ok Sounds good, I guess I will give it a go with the wood and see what happens. The wood will be at the edge (outside) the fire pit, well away from the flames. 

• SBGonzo
    Options

Hub said:
    I think this is a GREAT idea come fall and winter.  The only thing I would be worried about is the wood putting off too much smoke or the wrong kind of smoke.  I'm guessing you would let the thick stuff burn off before you put the meat on the rotisserie. 
    Thanks, the plan would be to let the smoke die down and build up a good bed of coals before starting to cook.