Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo ribs: 1.25 - 1 - .25 I may never cook low and slow ribs again.

Options
epcotisbest
epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
edited August 2017 in EggHead Forum
So I was experimenting this evening and decided to try a variation on turbo ribs and this was a home run. Used a little olive oil and a pork/coffee rub, heated grill to 350 indirect and tossed on a couple of small chunks of apple wood and let it ride for one hour and fifteen minutes. Then I wrapped the ribs with a mixture of butter, honey and a little bbq sauce and put them back on for an hour wrapped. Then unwrapped them to see what they looked like and just left them unwrapped for another fifteen minutes before taking them off. Delicious, very moist and tender. 2.5 hours total cook time. The temps did rise a little after putting the foil wrapped ribs back on, but I caught it at about 400 and brought it back down.
If anything, these may have been a bit too tender for my taste, but that is because of the wrapping in foil. I wrapped them this time because last time doing turbo without foil they did not seem tender enough.
Still very good and about half the time of low and slow with all of the flavor.

Comments

• Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    Well done!  Have yet to try turbo ribs but am a fan of turbo after doing pork butts that way
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    Rte1985 said:
    Well done!  Have yet to try turbo ribs but am a fan of turbo after doing pork butts that way
    Thank you. I have not tried turbo butt yet, but plan to soon.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Turbo is where its at. I did I think just under 2 hours baby backs and they were awesome. I have a thread somewhere. Nice job!

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• epcotisbest
    Options
    Turbo is where its at. I did I think just under 2 hours baby backs and they were awesome. I have a thread somewhere. Nice job!
    Thank you. Yeah, these were good, and might have been even better had I cooked them for a shorter amount of time. I'll cut back to 1-.75-.25 next time and see what happens. I like experimenting.
  • Jellyworm
    Options
    I have not tried turbo ribs yet but after this that will be the way I go on my next rib cook!  Congrats and thanks.
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • gbvinla
    gbvinla Posts: 96
    Options
    You can't argue with success!  Great looking cook.
    Large BGE x2  Now we're cookin' in Dothan Al.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    They look great. I like the idea of adding BBQ sauce to the foil (if you are foiling) rather than waiting and brushing it on last. It saves a step and is less messy.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• epcotisbest
    Options
    They look great. I like the idea of adding BBQ sauce to the foil (if you are foiling) rather than waiting and brushing it on last. It saves a step and is less messy.
    Yeah, one less step and still quite tasty.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I'm a turbo fan. Most times I don't even wrap. Those are so good looking ribs man. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Another turbo fan here for both butts and ribs - BUT I never foil turbos since to me it ruins the bark by steaming it into mush. You might try skipping the foil next time to see if you like them better that way.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    texaswig said:
    I'm a turbo fan. Most times I don't even wrap. Those are so good looking ribs man. 
    RRP said:
    Another turbo fan here for both butts and ribs - BUT I never foil turbos since to me it ruins the bark by steaming it into mush. You might try skipping the foil next time to see if you like them better that way.
    Thank you.
    The last time I did turbo ribs they were not quite tender enough going the no foil route, so I decided to try foil this time and I like it. Yes, the bark was a bit soft, but there was still good flavor and these were much more tender than the no foil turbos I have done, so I guess that is the trade off, less tasty bark but more tender overall. I think I will try foil again next time but maybe less time in foil and more time unwrapped at step three.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I'm a turbo fan, too.....even on my smoker. I don't wrap or flip.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    The turbo ribs are in the home stretch!   
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    BeerMike said:
    The turbo ribs are in the home stretch!   
    Those look really good. How did they turn out?

• BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    This was my first turbo ribs, and I most likely will not do turbo again.  The ribs were very flavorful, but the ends were over done to the point of being crispy and burnt. Even wifey was not thrilled with the final product.  So I will go back to low and slow to keep wifey happy!   =)
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin