Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometers and accuracy

Options
Palisin
Palisin Posts: 64
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my BGE for 6 months and the thermometer is the only let down. It was a firebrething beast at first but it now cooks for me instead of me. However my thermometer has deteriorated. I have recallibrated several times and my frustration level hit peaks this weekend while cooking 4 cornish hens. They took two hours because I could not get an accurate reading, and I did not want to burn them. Is there an alternative themometer that can be used in the BGE other than the BGE piece? Please share any experience or insights.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    therm1.jpg
    <p />Palisin,
    The thermometer is fine and works well but needs a spacer behind it so it's face does not touch the dome. The spacer keeps the plastic face from warping and letting moisture in.[p]Also, be careful that your thermometer tip does not touch your food. I think that is could have happened - how big are 4 cornish hens?[p]Place a spacer of some sort behind the thermometer face and the dome. I used a U shaped piece of aluminum but others use a copper pipe, wine cork, bottle cap, etc.[p]Tim

• You know, I thought something was wrong with my thermometer until I learned that this is not the same as cooking in a conventional oven -- it was explained to me here that until one gets a sense of cook times, it is best to consult the forum for specific cooks. Curiously, my puzzlement came when cooking cornish hens also, they took much longer than we expected -- but, hey, they were wonderful eating. km

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    kmasner,[p]It's hard to use conventional times and temps in the Egg. Experience is the best teacher and there is a lot of it around here. Feel free to ask first and cook second.[p]Tim
  • McKevin
    McKevin Posts: 47
    Options
    Palisin,[p]Trend is very well thought of in the barbeque community as a whole. The link is to a big, easy to read dial with a 50*-500* range.
    NOTE, if you go this way you will likely have to enlarge your hole...[p]Kevin

[ul][li]Trend at The Barbeque Store[/ul]
  • Palisin
    Options
    I have cooked hens b4 they take a little longer because they have a higher fat content as with any meat the more fat the longer the cook time( but not 2 hours). It normally takes a little over an hour@ 350-375. The thermometer is an integral part of establishing cook times. Has any one used any other thermometers other than the BGE brand. I saw the larger whole recommendation. Has anyone tried this? The worry I have is cracking the ceramic.

• Palisin
    Options
  • Palisin
    Options
    Cornish hens are the size of a large grapefruit