Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh Jumbo Wings in VA Beach/Norfolk area?

Options

We gave our daughter and son-in-law a Large Egg for their house warming gift. They were transferred from San Diego to Norfolk w/ his new Navy Orders. He flys and now is training on MH-60 Sierrras. 

Does anyone know of a good butcher shop where he could find fresh jumbo wings?
New Albany, Ohio 

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

We gave our daughter and son-in-law a Large Egg for their house warming gift. They were transferred from San Diego to Norfolk w/ his new Navy Orders. He flys and now is training on MH-60 Sierrras. 

Does anyone know of a good butcher shop where he could find fresh jumbo wings?

What's up, man.  I'm in Newport News, which is nearby.

Traditional butcher shops around these parts are pretty scarce.  The only one I know of is Central Meats in Chesapeake, but I tend not to shop there because the prices are astronomical.  Last time I was there they wanted $7.99/lb for a choice brisket. 

Local grocers are pretty well stocked, though.  For meats, I shop at Costco as much as I can and get almost everything I need.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    OK, this sounds like the opposite of what you want, but bear with me.  Kroger frozen wings.  They are really good in the event you can't find fresh. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
    Both Kroger's and Walmart's fresh wings are large.  I just cut off the flipper and do the two sections whole.  Costco's wings are already separated and on the small side.

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I know I get in trouble for being straight forward sometimes but you don't want jumbo. Those are from birds that have been engineered for fast growth and a large finish. They lack flavor. Also avoid enhanced poultry.
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    Have them check out Pendulum Fine Meats in Norfolk.  Don't know if they have jumbo wings but they sure have lots of high quality meat that would pair well with the new egg. 

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG