Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza beginner

Options
jld
jld Posts: 63
I've been egging for almost 10 years, but I have almost no pizza practice. My wife just emailed her friends to come over on Friday to have grilled pizza. Help!

I have large egg and a plate setter. I'm happy to pick up a stone or a steel before Friday. I hear I'll probably also need a way to get the stone/steel 3-4" above the gasket with the plate setter in the egg.

So a few questions:
- Steel or stone? What diameter do I need to fit properly in the dome of my egg?
- What setup/temp should I use?
- What dough should I use?
- What style of pizza is tasty but also forgiving? How thick should it be pulled?
- Any other advice?

Comments

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    Parchment paper, temp depends on the dough, plate setter legs up, grid then stone or even elevate stone a little more. After a couple of minutes you can remove the parchment paper, rotate pizza for even cooking. I have a BGE stone made for the large. Good Luck !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Stone is fine.  Steel takes longer to dial in.  If you like making pizzas and various bread, consider a steel, but a stone is what I would start with.

I use Tipo 00 flour, but it's a specialty flour for certain types of pizza.  Regular All Purpose (AP) flour works fine.  My recommendation is to find a popular recipe for the pizza dough type you like that is minimalist and measured by weight.  Salt, water, yeast, flour.  Keep it simple.  Learn technique. Or just buy some dough.  No shame there.

Parchment paper.  Toppings: less is more.  Get/make lots of dough and do a test pizza with just cheese on it.  It'll tell you how the crust cooks relative to the toppings.  You want both to cook evenly, and that depends on your dough, mostly, toppings secondary.
    edited July 2017
    Options
    There are so many ways to cook pizza on the Egg, it's one of the most fun journeys to go on. As you're starting out and cooking for friends at the same time, I personally recommend keeping it simple, and if you have time do a practice run first, even if it just to make a simple cheese and tomato pizza.

As to your questions

I've only used stone, so can't comment on steel, and there are folks here that have cooked pizza direct on the stainless steel grid. You must ensure that your pizza stone can take the heat, I've lost count of the number of people that have shown standard oven pizza stones cracked when using at a higher temp in the Egg. I use the BGE ceramic pizza stone.

For a first time, go low, 500F. It's easy to keep cooking an underdone pizza but impossible to turn back time and uncook an overdone one. I started at this temp, worked my way up to 715 for thin crust.

Agree with what @nolaegghead on the dough, keep it simple. If this is your first time you could simplify and buy the dough, just focus on getting the Egg bit right.

Less is indeed more. A simple pizza is cheese, partially cooked sausage meat and spinach. Too much sauce, cheese or wet ingredients (e.g. mushrooms) can lead to a soggy base.

These link to my blog post on how I make dough and cook pizza, there are some hints and tips in there.

https://thecooksdigest.co.uk/2016/08/24/cooking-pizza-with-a-big-green-egg/

https://thecooksdigest.co.uk/2016/08/12/oven-baked-ham-and-mushroom-pizza/

And good luck, let us know how it goes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Preheat the egg and stone longer than you are used to or your first pizzas will not be right.

Fill the egg with lump.  Pizza for a crowd means running at higher than normal temps for a long time and opening the dome often as well.  You don't want to run out of lump.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    jld said:
    So a few questions:
    - Steel or stone? What diameter do I need to fit properly in the dome of my egg?
    - What style of pizza is tasty but also forgiving? How thick should it be pulled?
    - Any other advice?

Some responses to your questions:
    - Steel or stone? - Either work.  Steel transfers heat much faster so you have to adjust timings and temps compared to using a stone.  Most folks on this forum use stones so the advice you get will be based on stones.  Stones will be lighter and rust is not a problem. You want a stone that is at least 5/8" thick made of cordierite. Both the BGE and CGS stones meet this.  If you have a good pottery supply store near you, you can get a kiln shelf.  Pizza stones and kiln shelves are the same thing.  Kiln shelves sell for less than an equivalent pizza stone. While you are at the pottery supply store you could also get some kiln shelf posts to use as spacers in the egg.

- What setup should I use? - Indirect plate setter then an air gap and then the pizza stone.  Cooking height of the pizza stone is important - the key is to get the stone close enough to the dome to get the right amount of radiant heat coming off the dome. If the stone is too far from the dome, the toppings will not be done by the time the dough is cooked. If the stone is too close to the dome, the toppings will burn by the time the dough is cooked. The proper height will depend on the dough recipe, cooking temp, dough thickness, and amount of toppings. Many find the sweet spot to have the stone 2-3" above the felt line - but remember you will need to dial it in for yourself. We all make our pizzas a little different so take all the advice as a starting point and make adjustments for your personal style.

- What temp should I use? - Whatever temp the dough you are using is designed for.  To start I would recommend using a dough designed for typical American style pizza - 500º plus or minus 50º.   Don't try Neapolitan style as your first pizza especially with guests to impress.  Make sure to give the ceramics enough time to soak up all the heat they will hold. Warm up time will be 45-60 minutes - you need a steady-state if you want to be able to consistently produce good results.

- What dough should I use? - Lots of options but to start get a dough designed for moderate temps.  Lots of recipes on line or here on the BGE forum.  You can also get ready made at most grocery stores.  Your local pizzeria may also sell dough balls. There are many types of pizza and they have differing cooking needs. In general, I think of the differences in terms of "thin crust/high temp/short time/high hydration dough'" vs "thick crust/lower temp/longer time/lower hydration dough". Many people like what is often called American style pizza. This is medium to medium-thick crust cooked at moderate temps for longer times. 500°F +- works well for this. 

Most of the pizzas I see posted on this forum are medium thick crust with a heavy load of toppings. The 475-550º range is fine for this style. A lot of the dough recipes circulating are designed for this temperature range.  Cooking in this range gives is the most forgiving in terms of time/temp. Once the egg is up to temp you can cook multiple pizzas in succession.  Make smaller pizzas with different toppings to offer your guests a variety of options.

- Any other advice? - Take it easy on the toppings.  Just a few kinds on any one pizza.  Don't over sauce - let the dough and toppings be the main attraction.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    jld said:
    I've been egging for almost 10 years, but I have almost no pizza practice. My wife just emailed her friends to come over on Friday to have grilled pizza. Help!

I have large egg and a plate setter. I'm happy to pick up a stone or a steel before Friday. I hear I'll probably also need a way to get the stone/steel 3-4" above the gasket with the plate setter in the egg.

So a few questions:
    - Any other advice?

Id go stone

13A" dia should suit your needs

Get stone on top of bricks or other risers so it is as high as possible in the dome,  be sure to have platesetter legs down with full box of lump,  mesquite burns hot

Temp should be 650 or so in dome

For maiden voyage try tj's if you can or see if a pizzeria will sell you some.  Buy extra in case of casualties

Most forgiving pizza? No idea but you cant go wromg with margherita

Last piece of advice, watch as much youtube on it as you can, read varasanos recipe, handle dough carefully and aimply have fun.  Be sure you get a peel amd use lots of bench flour....
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options

I use Tipo 00 flour, but it's a specialty flour for certain types of pizza.  Regular All Purpose (AP) flour works fine.  My recommendation is to find a popular recipe for the pizza dough type you like that is minimalist and measured by weight.  Salt, water, yeast, flour.  Keep it simple.  Learn technique. Or just buy some dough.  No shame there.

Cary, question for you. have you ever tried the Tipo 00 in making your own pasta? I haven't....but was curious how it works if you had been down that road.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    jld said:

So a few questions:
    - Any other advice?

"My wife just emailed her friends to come over on Friday to have grilled pizza."
    Looks to me like your wife is the one with the problem. She's the one who sent the email! :rofl: ..............Yeah, I know...

BGE Stone, 14". 

I would suggest buying dough from your favorite pizzeria. As mentioned, buy extra, just in case. Form it into dough balls, cover and refrigerate. Be sure to take them out at least two hours before you plan to shape the pizza. Leave them covered on the counter.

I use this setup... Platesetter, legs down. Some sort of heatproof spacers, about 4" worth. Pizza stone on top.

Temp, about 5-550° is plenty for generic pizzeria dough.

When you form the dough balls, make 'em ab
    out the size of a softball, maybe a little less. When you stretch them out later, that should give you about 12-13" in diameter with enough thickness. The rounder your dough balls, the rounder your pizza will be. But you can't taste round so don't worry too much about that.

Here are two videos on how to shape a dough ball...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he-V1J86REA

...and how to stretch out the dough (first 4 minutes)... 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjYqw1CLZsA

If you want to make your own sauce, here's a very good one.
    http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/new-york-style-pizza-sauce.html

Good luck!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Cary, question for you. have you ever tried the Tipo 00 in making your own pasta? I haven't....but was curious how it works if you had been down that road.
    @northGAcock I have not.  I've used it to make bread and it makes the style of bread I like to make worse.  

I use a 50/50 mix of tipo 00 and AP in my pizza.

Options
    Like mentioned about many many ways to make a pizza.  I use 2 stones (sometimes), one low  and the other as high in the dome as I can.  When I use 1 stone I keep it low and put the pizza right on the grate (has worked fine and the crust come out nice).  I cook around 600 degrees +/- 100.

I do a Tomato Basil, Swiss Cheese, Prosciutto and Grilled Onion that my family loves.

I chop Tomatoes and put them on first
    Next the Basil, Grilled onion and Shredded sharp Swiss. I finish with the Prosciutto. The kids even love it.

I also have had luck with the pizza dough from the supermarket in a pinch.  I divide it into 2 pieces and make smaller pies, I find that easier to manage (they cook in 7-8 minutes).

Good luck and make sure you make it fun (have a beer).
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• tigertams
    tigertams Posts: 3
    Options
    First timer with pizza as well.  Great advice from all.  May be a dumb question, but do I preheat the pizza stone in the BGE or put pizza on the stone and then put in when the stone is room temp?  Thanks in advance.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited July 2017
    Options
    tigertams said:
    First timer with pizza as well.  Great advice from all.  May be a dumb question, but do I preheat the pizza stone in the BGE or put pizza on the stone and then put in when the stone is room temp?  Thanks in advance.
    ALWAYS preheat the stone. Put it in when you light the lump. When the egg gets to temp, the stone won't be that hot yet so wait a while longer (30-45 minutes) for it to get there too. Or check it with an IR thermometer if you have one. And if you're using cornmeal or the like, it goes on your peel, NOT on the stone.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options

The purpose of using a pizza stone is to store a large amount of heat that can be rapidly transferred to the dough.  By preheating the stone, heat is stored. It is transferred to the dough by conduction.  Most pizzas benefit by this rapid heat transfer.  

Not only does the stone need to soak up a lot of heat, but the dome does as well. Warm up times may actually be closer to one hour.  You should really have a steady state condition in the egg before starting to cook the pizza. The ceramics take much longer to heat up than the air. 

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    You've received a ton of good advice here. I have had good results with pizzas (I fully endorse parchment for the simplicity), but am a total amateur compared to many on here. Having said that, pizza might be the one thing on the BGE that I would not want to attempt for the first time with company coming over. I would recommend a trial run, if possible, before the pressure that comes with hungry guests. Good luck!
    Stillwater, MN
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options
    tigertams said:
    Always pre-heat and please ensure that you have a pizza stone that can take the temp of the Egg. Stones as thin as the one below almost certainly won't work and will crack in the Egg:

Big Green Egg sell a popular one.
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    Options
    Here are a couple of pies we did last week.  The one is obviously pepperoni, the other is a roasted garlic & ricotta with chicken and spinach.  The roasted garlic one is my new fave.  If subsequent pizzas are burning or cooking too quickly try wiping the stone with a damp rag between pizzas.  This will lower the temp of the stone a bit.  My set up is PS with legs down.  3 firebricks oriented horizontally with the pizza stone on top of the bricks.  Pizzas were cooked at 550 degrees for 5-6 minutes.  I use parchment paper on an airbake pizza pan to transfer the uncooked pizzas to the stone.  This works for me because the pizzas are bigger than my peel.  The peel works great for removing the pizzas from the stone once the dough is cooked.  
    XL  Central Ohio