Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need collard greens recipe!

Options
slovelad
slovelad Posts: 1,742
i know someone here has a kick ass recipe.. let's hear it!

im going to eat them with some beef short ribs for dinner (seasoned with salt pepper EVOO and a very light dusting of the oak ridge ghost chile rub, becaus that sh*t will tear you up if you put too much lol)

Comments

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I make mine very simply. 

2-3 bunches if greens, stems removed and chopped to 1" squares. Chop a pound of bacon and a large white onion. Cook the bacon down, then cook the onions down in the bacon fat. Add some salt and pepper, and about 1 1/2tsp crushed red pepper. Throw in the greens and two cups of white wine. Turn the heat way way down. Stir every 30 minutes until done. I usually let mine go about 6-7 hours. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I braise it with a smoked ham knuckle (think that's what they're called), onion, garlic, s & p, timed like Miles' above.  
    Collards are hard to find around here, I grab them anytime I see them.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    One bunch of collard greens. Remove stems, roll them up and slice in ribbons. One bunch of kale, stems removed and chopped. One bunch of turnip greens, chopped. Depending on your part of the country, combine all of the greens and give them a salt bath to remove all of the grit and sand. Rinse thoroughly in fresh water. If they have already been cleaned, just toss everything into a pot and add EVOO and garlic salt. Cover and simmer for about an hour, stirring a few times. You can also use salt pork drippings instead of EVOO. Just slice in about 1/4 inch slices and pan fry. Also, don't forget the cornbread.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • slovelad
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, I ended up cutting off a chunk of the end of the beef rib and use it to flavor the greens, worked awesome and the meat was braised and delicious in the greens.

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Try serving collards with pepper vinegar sauce, you'll love it; true southern food there. 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • slovelad
    Options
    CPARKTX said:
    Try serving collards with pepper vinegar sauce, you'll love it; true southern food there. 
    @CPARKTX my grandma always served them that way, I was missing the pepper sauce! I just don't eat them enough to keep it around 
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Greens+pepper jelly=awesome!
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    @JRWhitee can hook you up with joy.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Wait a minute -- is it even LEGAL to cook greens without country ham or a country ham hock?  I guess bacon would do in desperate circumstances, but greens without any pork at all?  Not around these parts, thank heaven!

:)
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Wait a minute -- is it even LEGAL to cook greens without country ham or a country ham hock?  I guess bacon would do in desperate circumstances, but greens without any pork at all?  Not around these parts, thank heaven!

:)
    Fat Back and Bacon...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    slovelad said:
    i know someone here has a kick ass recipe.. let's hear it!

im going to eat them with some beef short ribs for dinner (seasoned with salt pepper EVOO and a very light dusting of the oak ridge ghost chile rub, becaus that sh*t will tear you up if you put too much lol)

PM me your email and I will send it to you.

Johns Creek, Georgia