Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Resort ideas for my parents and kids, beachfront of possible.

Options
Mud Pig
Mud Pig Posts: 489
edited July 2017 in EggHead Forum
Everyone,
To make a long story short, my parents have gone way out of there way by watching my two older sons as the primary daycare providers for the last 5 years. My wife and I could not afford the nanny costs associated with that until recently. Now that we have hired a nanny I'm looking to take my parents on a Thank You vacation in August. My Dad doesn't want to travel internationally, so I'm looking for a nice beach front resort with a pool, or a resort that is just overall luxurious and fun at the same time with a pool. Somewhere that you don't need a passport to go to. 

Im planning on footing the bill for them and bringing my oldest son and myself along to make sure they have a good time. 

Looking for ideas, especially if you've stayed at a place that just blew you away as an amazing family resort. We are based near D.C. And don't mind flying somewhere. 

Thanks!

Comments

• KALIKSnBONES
    Options
    The Cheeca in Islamorada would do nicely.  One of our favorite place to go and we live in the state! So much to do up and down the Keys and The Cheeca is top notch.

https://www.cheeca.com/
    Large BGE making it's home in Jacksonville, FL.
  • KALIKSnBONES
    Options
    Or stay at The Moorings where Bloodline was shot.

http://themooringsvillage.com/
    Large BGE making it's home in Jacksonville, FL.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    We did the club med in Florida.  Wasn't blown away, but we specifically needed something that was all inclusive, and within the United States for various reasons. No regrets.
  • Mud Pig
    Options
    Thanks, I hadn't thought about the keys. I'll have to do some digging on that option. Has anyone got any suggestions for the West Coast, say around LA or San Francisco?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    never did it but if i did, 3 to 4 days in san fran, a week or more hawaii
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Kiawah island in SC is a special place. 

https://kiawahresort.com/accommodations/the-sanctuary-hotel

Greensboro, NC
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    Any place along 30A in the Destin Florida area. Powered white sand, great food, etc.
    McKinney, TX
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
    We've always done Sanibel Island Florida, white beaches and great sunsets. Although Destin is also a great  choice, pretty much the west coast of Florida is beautiful.
    O-Town, FL

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    If you want luxury and plenty of space and all the amenities- head down the coast to St. Simons Island and stay at Sea Island. 

Ocean, pools, PGA tour golf courses, highly rated spa, shooting, horse riding, and top notch food. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Mud Pig
    Options
    Some very good options here, thanks everyone. I'm surprised some of the Cali eggheads haven't spoken up. Then again, mother ship is in Atlanta so the east coasters are always out in force. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Puerto Rico?  No experience personally, but know folks who go yrly 
  • Mud Pig
    Options
    Puerto Rico?  No experience personally, but know folks who go yrly 
    I have thought about that option. I've never been and don't know a thing about the island. If someone knows a great resort I'm all ears. TripAdvisor only goes so far with their reviews and I don't really trust them. 
  • UNCHeels08
    UNCHeels08 Posts: 116
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Kiawah island in SC is a special place. 

https://kiawahresort.com/accommodations/the-sanctuary-hotel

I haven't stayed at that hotel (we usually rent a house or condo type place spot with a group), but I second Kiawah as an awesome destination. 
    Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Kiawah is unreal. High class living. 
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Southwestern coast of Florida (Naples, Marco Island, up to Ft. Meyers) is gorgeous and feels like Caribbean without the travel hassles.  What the guys said above about NC and SC coast is also true.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Sanibel is cool. Very non-commercial. Not sure you'll find much of a resort there. Great shells and fishing though. 

Casa ybel bel is one of the nicer places.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Left Coasters working too hard-I'm sure some will be along soon.  
    Do you have a general area preference within the lower 48?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    18 years running to Seaside Florida. Both granddaughters learned to ride a bike there. 18 years we have never locked the front door ever. Been twice this year. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• the_crease
    the_crease Posts: 132
    Options
    If interested in San Diego at all, check out Paradise Point in Mission Bay.  We do staycations sometimes and this is a great private island resort with multiple pools, beaches, watersports, biking and fun.  

http://www.paradisepoint.com/
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    FATC1TY said:
    If you want luxury and plenty of space and all the amenities- head down the coast to St. Simons Island and stay at Sea Island. 

Ocean, pools, PGA tour golf courses, highly rated spa, shooting, horse riding, and top notch food. 
    Agree on all but "oceans". SSI is not a great beach/water location at all unless you can boat the marshes and make your way to Two Way Fish Camp and hit up Mudcat Charlies. If you and your Dad play golf, this is as good as it gets. And, you can go pretty much year round. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
  • gtcharlie
    gtcharlie Posts: 65
    Options
    One more vote for either Kiaweh or Seabrook right next door.   Probably the best vacation I have ever taken with the family.
  • Mud Pig
    Options
    After much deliberations I settled on The Sanderling Resort on Duck Island in the Outer Banks.  My Dad is originally from a small town outside of Raliegh, NC and he hasn't been back to NC in years. Should be a nice time for all.  Now I need to plan on where to take them to eat.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Oh shoot.  SOrry I got in late, but I would've said somewhere in Galveston!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Mud Pig said:
    After much deliberations I settled on The Sanderling Resort on Duck Island in the Outer Banks.  My Dad is originally from a small town outside of Raliegh, NC and he hasn't been back to NC in years. Should be a nice time for all.  Now I need to plan on where to take them to eat.
    I was just going to write a post on PR, but saw you made this fine choice.  My family lives in Duck and we travel there regularly. I know the Sanderling Resort well.  It's a beautiful beach out front, uncrowded, nice couple pools, and should be an overall relaxing vacation.

For places to eat, there are several upscale dining options right in Duck to choose from along with the Paper Canoe which is across the street from your resort.  The most renowned place in Duck is called The Blue Point. I'd call now to get a reservation. If you can't get a reservation, just stop by for lunch.  Much cheaper, still good food.  And if you go for dinner or not, stop by for sunset at their soundfront lawn/bar area.  BP is a little pricey all around, but it's nice.

My favorite place in Duck, hands down, is Roadside.  The owners are great.  The food is awesome whether you sit at the bar or a table.  Drinks are good as well.  They also have a fantastic backyard bar area that feels more like you are hanging out in a friend's yard for drinks then at a restaurant.  I'd go there before anywhere else.

There isn't good BBQ in Duck.  Don't look for it.  Best coffee is a place called Treehouse coffee.  Another unique restaurant kind of hidden in Duck is called Eastside.  Not your typical beach faire, but everything is good.  It's a nice place to just order a pile of things and eat family style.

There are dozens of good restaurants north of where you will be staying in Corolla (go to Lighthouse Bagels for... bagels) and hundreds of restaurants down the beach south of Duck if you make a day trip.  Down south we tend to like the casual privately owned restaurants serving fresh seafood in a fun atmosphere.  Always get the fish of the day.  Of those, check out; Tortuga's, Goombay's, Rundown, Blue Moon Beach Grill, Chilipeppers and for a fun casual treat check out Fisheads restaurant on the pier.  Great sights, it's all the way down in South Nags Head if you get that far.

Mostly though, we just stay in Duck.  Most places are busy for the early dinner crowd.  Don't get discouraged.  Have a cocktail.  If you don't mind eating late, there is room everywhere after sunset.

If you like beer, bring an empty growler if you have one.  There is a new Growler business in Duck that will will up To-Gos for you all week, let you taste as much as you want before filling.  It's a nice option.  Get one of those insulated ones and it'll stay ice cold while you sit on the beach.

Enjoy your vacation.  I'm sure your folks will love it.

LBGE/Maryland
  • Mud Pig
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Mud Pig said:
    I was just going to write a post on PR, but saw you made this fine choice.  My family lives in Duck and we travel there regularly. I know the Sanderling Resort well.  It's a beautiful beach out front, uncrowded, nice couple pools, and should be an overall relaxing vacation.

For places to eat, there are several upscale dining options right in Duck to choose from along with the Paper Canoe which is across the street from your resort.  The most renowned place in Duck is called The Blue Point. I'd call now to get a reservation. If you can't get a reservation, just stop by for lunch.  Much cheaper, still good food.  And if you go for dinner or not, stop by for sunset at their soundfront lawn/bar area.  BP is a little pricey all around, but it's nice.

My favorite place in Duck, hands down, is Roadside.  The owners are great.  The food is awesome whether you sit at the bar or a table.  Drinks are good as well.  They also have a fantastic backyard bar area that feels more like you are hanging out in a friend's yard for drinks then at a restaurant.  I'd go there before anywhere else.

There isn't good BBQ in Duck.  Don't look for it.  Best coffee is a place called Treehouse coffee.  Another unique restaurant kind of hidden in Duck is called Eastside.  Not your typical beach faire, but everything is good.  It's a nice place to just order a pile of things and eat family style.

There are dozens of good restaurants north of where you will be staying in Corolla (go to Lighthouse Bagels for... bagels) and hundreds of restaurants down the beach south of Duck if you make a day trip.  Down south we tend to like the casual privately owned restaurants serving fresh seafood in a fun atmosphere.  Always get the fish of the day.  Of those, check out; Tortuga's, Goombay's, Rundown, Blue Moon Beach Grill, Chilipeppers and for a fun casual treat check out Fisheads restaurant on the pier.  Great sights, it's all the way down in South Nags Head if you get that far.

Mostly though, we just stay in Duck.  Most places are busy for the early dinner crowd.  Don't get discouraged.  Have a cocktail.  If you don't mind eating late, there is room everywhere after sunset.

If you like beer, bring an empty growler if you have one.  There is a new Growler business in Duck that will will up To-Gos for you all week, let you taste as much as you want before filling.  It's a nice option.  Get one of those insulated ones and it'll stay ice cold while you sit on the beach.

Enjoy your vacation.  I'm sure your folks will love it.

Wow, thank you for the full rundown of Duck and the surrounding areas.  This was exactly what I was hoping to get advice on and I sure will go ahead and make some reservations now.  Thanks again.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    @Mud Pig, so how was the vacation?

Any good eats recommendations?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,303
    Options
    Hawaii is a US state?
  • Mud Pig
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    @Mud Pig, so how was the vacation?

Any good eats recommendations?
    Sorry to get back to you so late. Vacation was fun, the resort was great, duck itself was very quiet. I’d recommend it if you want a relaxing time.  Keep in mind there aren’t many food options near by Hilton Head was nice and quiet as well with much better food. We did that the following year.