Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef rib advice

Options
Gym
Gym Posts: 366
Hey all
I picked these beef ribs up at the grocery store this morning. They're not the fanciest cut by any means, but I thought I'd give them a try. I searched the forum for people doing a similar style, but everyone seems to have posted pics of much larger racks of ribs. These are only a little over 1"thick. Could any of you point me in the right direction of how to cook these? I was thinking of having them tomorrow night.

Comments

• gbvinla
    gbvinla Posts: 96
    Options

This is just a guess, but here goes. I would try indirect at 250 to whatever your desired IT is then pull the plate setter and reverse sear 1-2 min per side. I only say this because they have more of a steak look than ribs.

That's the fun of these gadgets. We get to play and learn as we go. Hope this gives you more to think about. Lol

Large BGE x2  Now we're cookin' in Dothan Al.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Most often, short ribs like those are used for Korean galbi/kalbi style BBQ. But they are a little thick for that. Still, the method might work. Marinade them for a couple of hours, basic oil and soy sauce and other flavors you might like. Then cook hot and fast, 300F or so, raised direct. It's likely they may be somewhat chewy, 'cause the most commonly used short ribs are from the chuck section. The trade off is tasty
  • Gym
    Options
    Any advantage to low/slow for multiple hours? Cook till passes Bend test? Or is hot/fast the only way to go? 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    This is the same meat as the racks you have seen discussed.  It is just cut differently.  Seem a bit thick for Korean style fast cooking.  I would go for longer lower temp cook and cook until tender.  Based on the way these are cut, the bend test is not going to tell you anything.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Around here those would be considered flanken cut ribs. I usually trim the fat at the top so you can just bite into them. I agree with @gdenby marinate and cook them hot and fast.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    if you put enough salt on them it seems to melt the fat, probably why the korean cook works. i cook these med/rare, use 10 times tha salt you might normally use, it falls off during the cook, these are made for a squeeze of lime. im about 5 for 6 with these coming out tender

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1204903/my-short-rib-steak-med-rare

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gym
    Options
    if you put enough salt on them it seems to melt the fat, probably why the korean cook works. i cook these med/rare, use 10 times tha salt you might normally use, it falls off during the cook, these are made for a squeeze of lime. im about 5 for 6 with these coming out tender

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1204903/my-short-rib-steak-med-rare

Those look incredible! Thanks for the info/link to your cook.