Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland Gasket

Options
Ordered a Rutland Gasket for me and a fellow egger so just wanted to say Thanks to Ron @RRP for all of his help and quick response.  I'll be installing mine in a couple weeks so I'll post completed pics.  
Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 

Comments

• egginNthefreeworld
    Options
    Ron is the best. Got mine on the other weekend and LOVE it!
  • Nate77
    Nate77 Posts: 16
    Options
    I am in talks with him now about a new gasket for my large. I still have the original gasket that came with mine. 
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Great guy and great product!
  • Nate77
    Options
    Did any of you put a gasket around the top of your egg where the daisy wheel sits?
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I need to get one for my Mini Max. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    Nate77 said:
    Did any of you put a gasket around the top of your egg where the daisy wheel sits?

I have a generic gasket around the top of the Egg to help seal the wheel/cap against unwanted air. In my head I think that helps the Egg shut down after a cook. I doubt it is true but...

Cheers,

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Nate77 said:
    Ron would be the best one to ask, but I think the Rutland around the upper vent would be overkill and the higher profile might cause a problem.  I have the standard gasket that came with the egg and it seems to work fine.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Nate77 said:
    Ron would be the best one to ask, 
    I replied to his email asking that. While some people buy them for a mere dollar when ordered with another some don't. It's a personal thing. Actually is has only been in the last 5 or 6 years that BGE started placing a gasket on the throat. I personally find it to be a hassle if I was using a daisy since the daisy has to be lifted off to adjust the setting, whereas without a gasket then once you learn the trick of lining up the the machine screw heads then adjusting without a gasket to hinder the turning is easy! OTOH if someone uses a SmokeWare cap then the gasket makes sense. To each his own I say.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    Options
    I ordered a Rutland from Ron, got it within 2 days with full instructions. Highly recommended. Definite upgrade to the stock gaskets. 
  • mgoblue0484
    mgoblue0484 Posts: 148
    Options
    I'm still a fan of the old school gasket. Took the Rutland I had on and returned to the felt. Tried several times to remove the gap that I had with the Rutland gasket, from the back of my egg. Not sure if I stretched the Rutland gasket when I installed it or what. I had it for quite some time. Since returning to the old gasket, no issues. I also put a piece of the felt gasket on the upper vent. It secures the daisy wheel and the top cap; nice tight fit. I may return to Rutland for another try when this felt seal starts to fail.

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    I'm still a fan of the old school gasket. Took the Rutland I had on and returned to the felt. Tried several times to remove the gap that I had with the Rutland gasket, from the back of my egg. Not sure if I stretched the Rutland gasket when I installed it or what. I had it for quite some time. Since returning to the old gasket, no issues. I also put a piece of the felt gasket on the upper vent. It secures the daisy wheel and the top cap; nice tight fit. I may return to Rutland for another try when this felt seal starts to fail.
    @mgoblue0484 not to be a hater... but the Rutland or let has nothing to do with the gap, it has to do with your bands. With good bands you should be able to set the dome to lay flush even without a gasket.

that being said, not sure if either matters a whole lot, some guys here don't even use a gasket (or hell, some don't even use a Daisy wheel or anything else on top) but that's too rebellious for me. 
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Options
    Ron is the best. Got mine on the other weekend and LOVE it!
    i gotta agree, Since i can screw up opening a can of beer, i got one of Ron's just  to have as a spare for my new medium. Ron's help and  information were  outstanding.
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • RRP
    edited July 2017
    Options
    From what you described your planes were to of whack and normally that issue is an easy fix. Did you buy the Rutland from me? If so I would have gladly helped you resolve the problem, but too late now.
  • mgoblue0484
    mgoblue0484 Posts: 148
    edited July 2017
    Options
    RRP said:
    From what you described your planes were to of whack and normally that issue is an easy fix. Did you buy the Rutland from me? If so I would have gladly helped you resolve the problem, but too late now.
    I did. No worries. Like I said, I'll probably go back to the Rutland, when this gasket fails. It was the plane of the top band at the rear of the egg. You know when you work on something and you work, work, and work, and just isn't working. The frustration set in when I couldn't get the lined up. When I put the new felt gasket on...a light came on... I figured it out. Perfect seal, no overhang, nice and tight.

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• Nate77
    Options
    Ok I sent Ron a message this morning and ordered my gasket. It shipped today. I can't wait to put it on and see how much better it is. 
  • setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    Options
    Gotta say I habe bought them from Ron and just did another as my brother in law was so impressed it's all he's been asking for. Installing it for him this weekend as a present.
  • RRP
    Options
    Nate77 said:
    Ok I sent Ron a message this morning and ordered my gasket. It shipped today. I can't wait to put it on and see how much better it is. 
    The gasket itself is one thing, but following my proven methodology from 15 years is even more important. While I won't guarantee the same many years as I and so many others have enjoyed I wish the same success as those who have trusted me for my "cheap price".