Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide chicken/pineapple kabob help

GlennM
GlennM Posts: 1,359
I made some great looking kabobs today, pineapple, chicken breast, onion and seasoning. They looked fantastic!  We vac sealed them and put them in the sous vide at 150 for about 90 minutes and seared quickly on a hot grill. They looked great but the texture was "chalky". Kind of like they were coated in a bit of flour paste. My fear is that my wife is telling me she won't ever eat sous vide chicken again and I have been led to believe that chicken cooked correctly this way should be outstanding?
In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    edited July 2017
    Was the chalky texture on the surface or throughout the meat?  I'm thinking pineapple juice cooking may be the issue.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,167
    Ya, the acid from the pineapple probably had something to do with it. Try just a seasoned breast by itself, then you will know what it should be like, and it is outstanding. I also prefer 145 over 150, but that's a personal preference you will have to experiment with
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    I did theseba while back, and left out the pineapple for this reason. Although I will say that evens without the pineapple they were average at best. Probably not worth the effort to sous vide IMHO
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    It's the bromelain in the pineapple.  That enzyme really breaks down meat proteins.  And I don't think 150F is hot enough to completely inactivate it.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I cook chicken breasts (bone in, skin on) to 140 and sear. Absolutely fantastic. I would sous vide just the meat and then thread the skewers. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    It's the bromelain in the pineapple.  That enzyme really breaks down meat proteins.  And I don't think 150F is hot enough to completely inactivate it.
    This. although a bit more work, try SV the chix by itself, then sear. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GlennM
    I will try just the meat next time. Maybe 145?
  • I'm in the same boat as you Glenn. I got a SV on prime day, told my wife it's the best thing going. Cooked 2 boneless skinless breast at 145° for 2 hours. Seared them off in a cast iron pan for about 90 sec per side. Tough as nails and stringy. Luckily my wife wasn't here to eat it so it was just me. Hopefully I can figure out what went wrong. I too thought chicken basically foolproof. Let me know if you find the magic solution or if anyone else has the perfect formula for tender chicken breast.
    Snellville, GA

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    @Eggdicted_Dawgfan try 150 for an hour n a half then sear. 

Not sure how your turned out stringy, my chicken is always spot on with the sous vide. Only think I can think is that the sear was too hot and too long 
  • That's kinda what I was thinking. Over cooked the outside. I'll try the 150° for 1.5 next time and see how it turns out. Maybe hotter iron for 30 sec per side. 
    Snellville, GA

• GlennM
    I'm reading 140 is a good temp?
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Nice cook!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I'm firmly in the 140 camp. I do bone in, skin on breasts and then sear, bone, slice and serve with a little sauce made in the searing skillet. Check out serious eats sous vide chicken. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia