Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does Anyone Really Need a BGE??

Options
2»

Comments

• SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    Who needs a BBQ at all? You can cook just about anything in a $100 Instant Pot. 
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I guess for some people it is sausage warmer much like a pickup truck to go get milk. 
  • WDE86
    WDE86 Posts: 69
    Options
    I didn't need mine but man oh man am I eating and cooking better than ever. Obviously, if you just want a burger-flipper you go a different route. But the BGE is so versatile. I'm learning things (and confident about cooking things) I thought I'd never get a chance to. 
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,871
    Options
    Of course not.  
    However, I didn't really need the clay chimnea I had just bought, about 15 years ago, when the kitchen oven broke and I was promoted in the field to Sunday roast chef for the leg of lamb we had waiting to go.   On reflection, that might have been the epiphany that lead me to becoming an Egger.   

As the article alludes to though, I don't ever envisage doing a traditional sausage & burgers session again.   Closest has been leaving three pounds of craft sausages from my butcher to bake in the snuffed Egg, while I enjoyed the main event of pork belly.    Sausages then stashed in fridge and freezer for weekend breakfast treats in following weeks. 

Revel in being amongst the enlightened minority, fellow Eggsters!  
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Problem is, if you buy a sh1tty knock off of any quality product, you don't use it because it's not sayisfying to use.
    I agree!  I grilled burgers and steaks over the decades on little open hibachi grills, Weber kettles, a Weber gas grill, and I enjoyed it, but I never really loved it, and I didn't do it very often.  Then my wife bought me a BGE Medium, and I was HOOKED!  I LOVE grilling and smoking on my Eggs (she bought me a Large the next year), and I do it a LOT more often than I ever had in the years B.E. (Before Eggs).  It's hard to explain, but I love the food more, I love to cook in them more, it's just hugely more pleasurable than the other grills were.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,816
    Options

Theophan said:
    Eoin said:
    Problem is, if you buy a sh1tty knock off of any quality product, you don't use it because it's not sayisfying to use.
    I agree!  I grilled burgers and steaks over the decades on little open hibachi grills, Weber kettles, a Weber gas grill, and I enjoyed it, but I never really loved it, and I didn't do it very often.  Then my wife bought me a BGE Medium, and I was HOOKED!  I LOVE grilling and smoking on my Eggs (she bought me a Large the next year), and I do it a LOT more often than I ever had in the years B.E. (Before Eggs).  It's hard to explain, but I love the food more, I love to cook in them more, it's just hugely more pleasurable than the other grills were.
    was looking to make an open hibachi grill and saw this one 1296.00 Kotaigrill

no heat adjustments, no height adjustments =)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    edited July 2017
    Options
    EVERYONE needs a BGE

It is essential for the sanity of society.  Imagine a world with perfectly cooked burgers, chicken and sausage, plus pizza and lemon cheesecake made on the outdoor bbq

Traffic congestion would be reduced due to people staying home for dinner,  neighborhoods would have more socializing, people would feel better about life

There would be so much more good in this world if everyone had a big green egg...
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options

That actually looks cool!  Don't think I'd be paying that kinda money for it, though.  What I meant was the cheap things they sold back in the '60s and '70s, a lot like this but even simpler and cheaper:

That was the first kind of grill I purchased, probably back in the '70s, grilling out on the balcony of my apartment.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,816
    Options
    Theophan said:

That actually looks cool!  Don't think I'd be paying that kinda money for it, though.  What I meant was the cheap things they sold back in the '60s and '70s, a lot like this but even simpler and cheaper:

That was the first kind of grill I purchased, probably back in the '70s, grilling out on the balcony of my apartment.
    had one of those back 70's and 80's,  wish i knew about lump instead of briquettes back then. i do like cooking over an open fire, might build one similar to that expensive grill, needs an air intake adjuster though, wonder how many that guy sold =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it