Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First brisket questions.

Options
Ok, had the LBGE for three years and have not ventured into the brisket try yet.  Bought one today, it was 15 pounds. Planning on cooking at 250 with the point toward the back.  When watching the temp, do I pull it at 195-200 when the flat hits target or when the point does?   Seems like I should pull it when the flat reaches temp.  How long should I plan for the cook?  Foil or no toward the end?  Fat up or down?

Thanks for the advice.
LBGE 
FWB, FL

Comments

• dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    There are plenty of eggers with more experience than me but I have done my briskets at 265. You want to use the temperature in the thickest part of the flat. I usually start probing at 190. There is no specific temp to pull it. Go with the feel. When the majority of the flat probes like "buttah", it is time to pull. I don't foil mine during the cook. Once you pull the protein, let it rest on a rack for at least 20 minutes before FTC. I would give an estimate of 1.25--1.50 hours per pound but as @lousubcap would say, "the cow drives the cook". Keep us posted on your work.

XL BGE
    MD
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    What @dsrguns said + make sure all of the brisket is over the plate setter.  The flat that's hanging over the edge will get burnt and dry.  I position one leg of the platesetter in the back under the point and place my pizza stone (foiled) over the front gap between the two legs under the enter flat.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Great advice above.  Patience is the watch-word with the cow.  PM with likely information overload sent.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bigegger
    bigegger Posts: 87
    Options
    The problem with smoking a brisket that has different thicknesses is you will have different levels of tenderness wherever you base your final temperature. For some this won't even be a problem.
    I avoid this conflict by asking my butcher to give me a 5-6 pound brisket flat with the fat trimmed between a quarter to an inch just as long as I get a uniform thickness of the brisket.
    to answer to your other questions..
    I always wrap my brisket between 175-185º with fat up. I have heard if you're smoking a prime piece of brisket , $10 per pound :s, you can get away without wrapping in foil.
    Also great advice read above.

LBGE with 76" Challenger Cooking Island
  • mvnole
    mvnole Posts: 54
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. Looking forward to an interesting cook and hopefully some juicy, tender cow.  
    LBGE 
    FWB, FL
  • mvnole
    Options
    No brisket yet, but had an interesting morning.  Set up the Egg at 5:00, got it to 260, set up the flame boss and put it on at 6:00 am.  Things went haywire at that point. The Egg jumped to 379, could not get the temp down, my flame boss meat thermometer quit working and the flat was at almost 160 after two hours. Finally got the temp under control and at 1:00, the brisket is holding at about 165.  Starting to look good, but what a morning. Not sure I will be done by my target of 6:00 pm for dinner, but we will see. 
    LBGE 
    FWB, FL
  • mvnole
    Options
    Well first brisket is in the books. Thanks for all the advice. Pulled at 205 and sitting under foil waiting for our dinner guests.   Will post taste test results shortly. 
    LBGE 
    FWB, FL
  • mvnole
    Options
    Not bad. A little dry in the flat, but the family loved the flavor. Will do another.
    LBGE 
    FWB, FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Looks great from the pics.  Nailed the bark.  Congrats.  
    For me, the best groceries are in the point.  Start there next time and be ready for meat coma.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Better than my first one, that's for sure. 

Fwiw, I am a proponent of butchers prime injection and wrapping in foil or butcher paper @ 160. Briskets a finicky and a big investment in both time and money, not to mention that they are usually meant to feed company. I figure these "crutches" offer me the best chance at success. I have also used a drip pan with liquid occasionally. The only cook for which I have ever used such a heat sink. Cheers