Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pickle-juice brined chicken legs

Options
My wife and daughter were away, and my son just polished of the last two dill pickles from a big jar, so I decided to experiment. I had heard that pickle brine makes chicken very tasty and moist.  So I added a couple of tablespoons of salt and sugar to the juice, plus some black pepper and a pinch of cayenne, whisked and added two whole chicken legs.  Left it in there for several hours, patted dry, and applied my usual basic rub.  Then smoked it (apple) for a couple of hours at 250, added new potatoes tossed in duck fat I happened to have in the fridge along with some salt and pepper, left it go another hour, added some sauce (last minute decision) and quickly boiled some corn.

Though the pictures are not really inspiring (that plate needs some green!) the chicken was really excellent. Hard to describe as it did not taste like pickles at all, which is good, but had a "tang" and tasted great. The revelation was how juicy it was...will never throw out pickle juice again, that is for sure.

(And my son loved it, as you can see.)

Toronto ON

Comments