Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Cast Iron Grates

Just bought an XL and went for the BGE cast iron grates mainly because of great experiences with cast iron with previous grills.  Since the XL grates come in two half moons, I tried to set up on top of the convEGGtor (with the legs up) and it does not seem to fit. I'm a BGE rookie, am I doing something wrong? One half-moon fits perfectly and the other tilts towards the middle.  Any suggestions are appreciated - thank you

Comments

• bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    can you take a pic?
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    The only real advantage to cast iron grates are the sear marks you get cooking at higher temps direct. 
    Adding the platesetter is normally lower temps and always indirect so no advantage or reason to use the the cast iron grates with the platesetter.
    Just use the stainless grate that came with your Egg.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    both xl cast iron grids will fit atop the xlwoo, if you want to grill at the felt line.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.