Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking of selling my small

Options
I'm thinking of selling my small but I'm not sure what it would be worth. When selling I would include the platesetter and kick ash basket. Its always been garage kept and is in very good condition. Please let me know if any of you have experience with this. Thanks!

Comments

• g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Might be interested. Let me know the price and location and might buy and come and pick up. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Location is always important unless you are going to ship.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • carp210
    carp210 Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm located in central Illinois. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,919
    Options
    It is yours so do with it as you wish...BUT WHY SELL it? Of my eggs my Small is my workhorse egg. Anything I or others might help you with some apparent problem you have with it? 
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
  • carp210
    carp210 Posts: 9
    Options
    I love the grill but my family is growing and I need some more space. 

Its a small town called Streator. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,187
    edited July 2017
    Options
    If I was back in Metamora.  Small seems like a fun size.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Keep the Small and add a larger egg. The Small comes in handy for quick cooks during the week. Oh, and stop after the second egg, or don't.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Gotta echo @dmw on his thoughts.  If you are like the rest of us sick individuals you will want a second shortly after buying the bigger grill. Hang onto the small, it's a workhorse of an egg. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Love my Large/Small combo.  Perfect for a family of 4!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,187
    Options
    DMW said:
    Keep the Small and add a larger egg. The Small comes in handy for quick cooks during the week. Oh, and stop after the second egg, or don't.
    Stop at a dozen, anymore and people will question your sanity.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    The problem with selling a BGE is that it's always worth so much more to the original buyer because of the warranty. If I ever add a second BGE it would definitely be a small. Good luck whatever you decide.
    Stillwater, MN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,500
    Options
    Good advice above.   Regarding used BGE's, a rule of thumb, without the warranty start at around 50% of retail for the market value.  So now you know the ball-park range.  You may do better with Craigslist if someone who is new to BGE's wants to pick it up.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    2nd egg and keep small. You'll gain nothing of value by selling it. If you're lucky you may get 1/2 of market value...that's if you're lucky. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,826
    Options
    my small sits on a crappie fishing lake at a friends camp, i secretly call that egg free food =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,057
    Options
    I hated my small egg and sold it after a few months.  It was tough to bring up to temp and maintain temp.  Perhaps operator error?

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• RRP
    Options
    QDude said:
    I hated my small egg and sold it after a few months.  It was tough to bring up to temp and maintain temp.  Perhaps operator error?
    That is a common complaint yet for others of us that is not an issue. Funny thing is no one has ever figured out why some do some don't. I'm in the lucky camp and mine can be an inferno if I want and my small is my go to egg getting 60% or more of all my cooks.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Price is determined by location, as other's have said.  Mine was sold in Phx, and I got 400 for it.  Included a plate setter, and nest.  Excellent shape.

Just to add a counterpoint to those giving love to the small.  I didn't like mine at all - it felt very cramped.  Sold it within weeks of buying it (used).  Medium is the smallest I'll go with an egg.  I realize that I'm in the minority on this.

Phoenix 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2017
    Options
    blasting said:

Price is determined by location, as other's have said.  Mine was sold in Phx, and I got 400 for it.  Included a plate setter, and nest.  Excellent shape.

Just to add a counterpoint to those giving love to the small.  I didn't like mine at all - it felt very cramped.  Sold it within weeks of buying it (used).  Medium is the smallest I'll go with an egg.  I realize that I'm in the minority on this.

Whoa there chief, you're not allowed to have a belief that doesn't match the majority's, even with the experiences, logic, and rationale to back it up.

You're bbq forum tone offends me.  ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,195
    Options
    RRP said:
    QDude said:
    That is a common complaint yet for others of us that is not an issue. Funny thing is no one has ever figured out why some do some don't. I'm in the lucky camp and mine can be an inferno if I want and my small is my go to egg getting 60% or more of all my cooks.

Its an airflow issue.  I know what I am doing with my eggs, of the 6 I have, my small is a dog, it doesnt like to run.  I changed that last month with a kick ash basket for a mini max, and a hi que grate for a large.  It can breathe now and running at temps like the others is no problem.  What do I use it for?  Yesterday it was for hot dogs cooked at 375.  Its a better egg now that I know I can get it hot, but I use it for lower temp stuff anyway.  
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Geez ron
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RRP
    Options
    henapple said:
    Geez ron
    huh? 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    blasting said:

I agree with this. I keep the small now that I have it, but wouldn't buy it again.  The medium is way better. The small is hard to sell. I know lots of people like them, but even talking with dealers it's just not as popular as it used to be. Mini max has that niche now. I've thought of selling the small and mini and getting a mini max but now that I've fixed the airflow issue on my small, and not desiring portability for a ceramic (not sure that exists anyway), for now I'm keeping them. 
  • RRP
    Options
    blasting said:

I agree with this. I keep the small now that I have it, but wouldn't buy it again.  The medium is way better. The small is hard to sell. I know lots of people like them, but even talking with dealers it's just not as popular as it used to be. Mini max has that niche now. I've thought of selling the small and mini and getting a mini max but now that I've fixed the airflow issue on my small, and not desiring portability for a ceramic (not sure that exists anyway), for now I'm keeping them. 
    I hear you - but I assume you know that the MM is just a Small with the base shortened. I mean the same size grill blah blah. Granted it now has a fancy*sssed carrying stand at a couple hundred dollars higher price tag depending on where you live. But if the MM floats your boat then GOOD for BGE marketing and dealers! 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2017
    Options
    blasting said:

I'm with you guys.  My small has more sentimental value than actual grill value, bringing it home to IL from the GA MTN fest.  Built a custom table and have an Egg Carten for it by tracking Scott down in Ohio and getting one of his last three shipped to me, so that adds to the devotion.  A novelty for me anymore, like many feel about the mini.  It goes out on special missions, but it's seeing less ride time with the 14.5 WSM and Jumbo Joe.   

I'll probably haul it to the Dells next month, maybe that will light a fire again.  It's my lil' GA peach though, I'll never sell, likely give it to my son down the road with a large.  Then his a $$ can haul that heavy peach to our gatherings......smarter, not harder. Lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• cookingdude555
    Options
    RRP said:
    blasting said:

I hear you - but I assume you know that the MM is just a Small with the base shortened. I mean the same size grill blah blah. Granted it now has a fancy*sssed carrying stand at a couple hundred dollars higher price tag depending on where you live. But if the MM floats your boat then GOOD for BGE marketing and dealers! 
    Yes, I know they are the same, some data to help any interested:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1206536/my-small-is-a-mini-max-cross-dresser

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I thought the MM had a larger fire grate then the small? Otherwise they are similar.
  • RRP
    Options
    I thought the MM had a larger fire grate then the small? Otherwise they are similar.
    nope - same
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    RRP said:
    nope - same
    The fire grate on the MM is definitely bigger than the one on my small egg. Maybe we are getting to the bottom of the mystery. 

FWIW the draft door is the same size so the "intake" is the same with the dome closed. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    nope - same
    The fire grate on the MM is definitely bigger than the one on my small egg. Maybe we are getting to the bottom of the mystery. 

FWIW the draft door is the same size so the "intake" is the same with the dome closed. 
    me bad - I meant the grill not the fire grate