Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sealer for cedar?

Options
What is the best sealer for cedar? Want minimal tone darkness not a solid or even semi solid. Also do not want a poly finish that has to be stripped in order to reapply when needed. 

Table top is granite so only frame and shelves are cedar and require stain. 

Thanks in advance
Atlanta, GA

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Where will it be sitting? Exposed to the elements or under cover and out of damaging UVL?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    Options
    BEHR used to make a product called NWF that when I was in college I sold out of home centers.  That product would hold up on decks in Central Texas for 2 years.  I just asked my friend who works at BEHR these days and he says similar is the #4000 which is almost clear.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    brock9281 said:
    What is the best sealer for cedar? Want minimal tone darkness not a solid or even semi solid. Also do not want a poly finish that has to be stripped in order to reapply when needed. 

Table top is granite so only frame and shelves are cedar and require stain. 

Thanks in advance
    My friend if your table is exposed to the sun and you don't want to re finish your table every few years....purchase a custom cover. The UV rays wreak havoc on the wood...regardless of your finish. A little inconvenience will go a long way with extending the life of your table. Mine also has granite top.

Take care of it....and it will take care of you.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Options
    Sikkens SRD works well for the vertical surfaces. Had it on my table for 2 1/2 years
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    Readyseal.  Put it on my cedar deck last summer, really easy to work with and hold up well.
  • Wanasmoke
    Wanasmoke Posts: 388
    Options
    After staining I used General Finishes water based poly a few years ago on my clear cedar table. The water still beads up after a rainstorm in year 3. I think you only need a light sand and can add more costs but I haven't needed to touch it yet!

LBGE in Elm Grove, WI
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Spar urethane
    Options
    Wanasmoke said:
    After staining I used General Finishes water based poly a few years ago on my clear cedar table. The water still beads up after a rainstorm in year 3. I think you only need a light sand and can add more costs but I haven't needed to touch it yet!

BEAUTIFUL table! You Sir obviously are a more than just a weekend woodworker! Got some other project pictures you care to share? If not here please send a link or a PM to me. I really appreciate craftsmanship! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.