Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork belly burnt ends question.

Options
I bought 8lbs of sliced pork belly from Costco today to do my first pork belly burnt ends. I have read several post here and other places and have a plan but I also have a few questions.

1. I plan on coating them in Meat Church The Gospel rub and smoking them tomorrow. Should I coat them now and let them sit overnight or just wait and do it tomorrow?

2. I plan on smoking at 250 for 2hr then in a pan with butter, brown sugar, and honey for another 2 hr. These are about 1in thick slices that I will most likely cut in say 2 in sections. Most of the things I have read suggest cutting in 2in x 2in chunks. Should I expect these to cook faster because they will be smaller pieces or will 4hr total be ok?

Last question. If these finish up faster than expected or early what the best way to reheat?

Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    I swear by the following process, although cutting them a little smaller works better.  Overnight coat won't hurt.  I use the cubes but just adapt.  Never have dealt with the reheat as they are inhaled.  You can place in a foil pan and cover-they will still be meat candy for a good 90 mins.  Beyond that I would cover tightly and place in an oven on the lowest temp you have.
    http://howtobbqright.com/2017/04/17/pork-belly-burnt-ends/  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jeffroe189
    Jeffroe189 Posts: 273
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I swear by the following process, although cutting them a little smaller works better.  Overnight coat won't hurt.  I use the cubes but just adapt.  Never have dealt with the reheat as they are inhaled.  You can place in a foil pan and cover-they will still be meat candy for a good 90 mins.  Beyond that I would cover tightly and place in an oven on the lowest temp you have.
    http://howtobbqright.com/2017/04/17/pork-belly-burnt-ends/  
    That is the exact recipe I was going to follow. The only difference is the rub and sauce I will use.
    Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone