Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good price on this demo package?

Options
With egg demo's happening over the summer my local hardware store just posted 10 "demo" packages at a discount. Does anyone know if this is a decent deal or have a tip on what I could offer?

Comments

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    That aint a good price around here. Hell I can buy a new one for less. 

Little Rock, AR

• bryan_h
    bryan_h Posts: 5
    Options
    Not sure where local is to you, but that seems high. I have an XL reserved from a demo event for only $30 more than that, same package.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    At the Ga Mountain Fest this year, a large was about $750 with nest. Other accessories at 10% discount.

http://mountainegg.com/demo-eggs/

Most (all?) fests offer demo egg pricing so if you are planning to attend one, check that out.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,347
    Options
    That's more than I paid for my new LBGE last year with nest/table mates...no PS

No deal in my book
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    That's about what I paid for my new XL, delivered and setup with the extras you got. 
  • joeybrown105
    Options
    added a large to my collection last year at eggtoberfest. 700 all in, included nest, ash tool, plate setter, bag of lump charcoal, and, the most important part, a lifetime warranty : )

I'd pass on that deal.
    Nashville, TN

Medium BGE | Large BGE | Little Griddle | Kick Ash Basket | Looftlighter
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'll go out on a limb and say it isn't terrible. Most demo eggs don't come with mates and the handler. So hard to compare apples to apples. My dealer demos were about $170 cheaper than than that exact setup minus the mates. 

One of the best ways I think to buy an egg is by itself. You can usually buy the nest and mates for under $60 used on Craigslist. I've bought 4 large nests off Craigslist and the most I've ever paid for one is $40
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • mjfutures
    mjfutures Posts: 53
    edited June 2017
    Options
    WOW .. thanks guys!! Think I'll call my sales rep and offer him $900 delivered... thoughts? 
  • mjfutures
    Options
    And I am having a table built so some of this junk they are including will be useless for me ... I just wanted to save a bit is all. The new large is $849 here.
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Where are you located? @mjfutures Someone might give you a tip where to buy from. Warranty is a big consideration when buying the Big Green Egg. How good is the dealer with warranty replacement 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • mjfutures
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Fargo, ND USA :) 

This dealer is top-notch in terms of customer service, warranty, etc... Its a Scheels Home Hardware, but known for good customer service and been around forever. 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    mjfutures said:
    And I am having a table built so some of this junk they are including will be useless for me ... I just wanted to save a bit is all. The new large is $849 here.
    Is that without a nest and handler?  

Little Rock, AR

• mjfutures
    Options
    mjfutures said:
    Is that without a nest and handler?  
    Correct, they charge $849 + tax + $30 delivery for just the large egg. 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I understand good customer service but I still think I would shop around. At LEAST hit one or two more dealers. 

Little Rock, AR

• mjfutures
    Options
    I understand good customer service but I still think I would shop around. At LEAST hit one or two more dealers. 
    Yeah ... I know 2 more but all at same price and never see any deals around here. Is this something you can negotiate on? 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Wouldnt hurt to try to negotiate. But no way Im buying that used set-up if you are putting it in a table. 

Little Rock, AR

• ChrisSonn23
    ChrisSonn23 Posts: 280
    Options
    Seems a little high to me. Our Demo's included the Egg, Nest and Plate Setter. Large package $875 and XL $1,195. No real reason to have the handler IMHO
    BGE Dealer and EggHead since 2013. Find our company on Facebook
    Large BGE
    Waterloo, IL
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    If you think you could sell the nest/handler/side tables I'd offer them $900.

Otherwise you might want to just buy the Egg and then look at some of the third party offerings rather than the platesetter.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I cant imagine getting the extra money back by selling nest, etc. already have one poster saying he has bought several nests and most of them $40. 

Little Rock, AR

• mjfutures
    Options
    yeah not sure what to do. pay $849 for new or watch for a deal. i don't mind paying what its worth but it seems like many of you have gotten decent deals vs retail. 
  • Cdm624
    Cdm624 Posts: 52
    Options
    i paid $925 incl. tax last weekend for basically the same setup brand new in Plano, TX. If you're anywhere close to the North Texas area, CGS is the place to buy them....Went there after i had already bought mine and they had some great deals (less than $900 with an AR included)
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I cant imagine getting the extra money back by selling nest, etc. already have one poster saying he has bought several nests and most of them $40. 
    A lot of regional variability in prices of course but I'm confident in my area a nest/HANDLER/tables new-in box could bring in at least $100 (maybe even $150) on Craigslist.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• mjfutures
    edited June 2017
    Options
    brand new large free-standing Big Green Egg: $749.00 -- just found a new dealer. best price yet for my area. 
  • WeberWho
    Options
    mjfutures said:
    brand new large free-standing Big Green Egg: $749.00 -- just found a new dealer. best price yet for my area. 
    I paid close to that 7 years ago for my large. They've only gone up in price. I'd jump all over that 

Minnesota
  • mjfutures
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    mjfutures said:
    I paid close to that 7 years ago for my large. They've only gone up in price. I'd jump all over that 
    Awesome! Glad I posted on here, never realized how many places carry the egg where I live! :)  
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    mjfutures said:
    Thats more like it. Thats what i can get one for in arkansas. 

Little Rock, AR

• mjfutures
    Options
    mjfutures said:
    Thats more like it. Thats what i can get one for in arkansas. 
    Nice! I'm going to pick it up later today. What are the must have accessories to get with it from day 1? My table is being built so maybe I'll grab them over next few weeks and find some deals.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Get a tablenest. I would skip platesetter and get a setup from ceramic grill store. Either an adjustable rig or a woo with stone. I have a pswoo with oval stone and grid extender but if I had it to do all over I'd probably just get an a/r. Before you buy anything call them. They will sell you whats best for YOU. 

Little Rock, AR

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Everyone likes to point out a once in a lifetime deal they got. That's a good price for that package. If you want to beat up your retailer to try and squeeze a few more bucks out of him, well that's your prerogative. Amortized over the life of your egg, the cost is insignificant.