Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leathery Smoked Chicken Skin

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need some advice on how to keep the skin from turning to leather when smoking it. Every time I do chicken it happens. How can I keep from throwing the skin away? The meat itself is perfect but the skin is as tough as my work boots

Comments

• Chef Wil
    Options
    Smoke Daddy,
    I think maybe your not hot enough ?
    I usually cook chickens at least 375 degrees on up to 425 degrees, 375 direct and elevated, 425 elevated but indirect. A light dusting of dry cornstarch has proven to crisp up skin.HTH

• Chef Wil,[p]I do usually like to cook the chicken around 250 degrees to an internal meat temp of around 170. Do you think this is what is causing the rubbery, unedible skin?
  • I ank up the temps to crisp your chicken. We usually run over 350 to get a nice crisp skin. I Have even gotten over 400 a few times, low and slow is great for pigs and cows, but not for yard birds.
  • DaytonEgger
    Options
    Smoke Daddy,[p]My experience is that if you want the meat to be fall of the bone, absolutely free of all connective tissue and veins, etc, then you need to go low and slow (250 or less) which will result in rubbery skin. But if you want crisp skin, and firmer meat, then crank up the heat. I haven't seen a good way to get the best of both worlds.