Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

North vs South vs East and West....Sauce for pulled pork

Options
Photo Egg
Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
Found this this morning looking for a good, simple pulled pork sauce.

...said the man who can't cook brisket.

"so Texans may be beyond saving."

"Texas sauce is a lot like Memphis rib sauce, except it's sometimes a bit hotter (the south-of-the-border influence) and may have a bit of added mustard or black pepper (the German influence.) Then again, down there they think barbecue is beef brisket, so Texans may be beyond saving."

Entire post below:
  • p3orion says
    OK, for those trying to figure out the regional argument:

1) Eastern NC sauce 
    Primarily vinegar and crushed peppers, with salt and varying amounts and types of sugar. Very thin, usually clear. When used as a mop, butter is often added. NO TOMATO ALLOWED east of the capital (then again, Raleigh is full of relocated Yankees now anyway, so that's confused things, but we'll try to get y'all up to speed.
    2) Western NC sauce
    Still heavily dependent on vinegar, but a bit more relaxed about some tomato sauce. Usually a bit sweeter and thicker than Eastern style. Crushed red pepper is not usually used, the heat (if any) coming from cayenne or Texas Pete.
    3) South Carolina sauce
    Mustard based. Fairly sweet, tangy from the mustard rather than vinegar. A good example is Maurice Bessinger's, based in Columbia. This style carries south and west into western Georgia and eastern Alabama.
    4) Piedmont style sauce
    The Piedmont is the region in between eastern, western, and South Carolina, so it's not surprising that the typical sauce there is often a combination of all three styles. Good sauces, but usually with a lot more ingredients.

All of these are meant for use on pulled pork, which is what God meant when He said "Let there be Barbecue."

Rib sauces are thicker, with a base of ketchup and sugar (molasses, brown sugar, whatever.) That same style sauce will be used on pulled pork up and down the Mississippi (Memphis style, Chicago style, etc.) They usually start with dry rubs, too, and get some or all of the heat from that rather than the sauce.

Texas sauce is a lot like Memphis rib sauce, except it's sometimes a bit hotter (the south-of-the-border influence) and may have a bit of added mustard or black pepper (the German influence.) Then again, down there they think barbecue is beef brisket, so Texans may be beyond saving.
    Posted Wed, Sep 12 2012 10:52am
Web link....http://www.meatwave.com/blog/barbecue-sauce-recipe-north-carolina-vinegar-sauce

Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Good read, thanks!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    There is no bad BBQ.....just some are better than others.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,189
    Options
    There is no bad BBQ.....just some are better than others.

• camofreak
    camofreak Posts: 161
    Options
    I'm in SC and around here all of the best is vinegar based. That mustard based stuff is just candied pork.
    Green Eggin' in South Carolina
    Go Gamecocks!!!
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     Having spent many vacations in the Charlotte NC area(NASCAR)I am swung to a modified Piedmont style sauce. Cider vinegar. Ketchup. Mustard. Lemons.. But Eastern is fine on occasion. Cleaner taste.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
     Having spent many vacations in the Charlotte NC area...
    If your Q experience is limited to CLT... then you have no Q experience. Sorry, but it's true. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,189
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
    If your Q experience is limited to CLT... then you have no Q experience. Sorry, but it's true. =)
    Totally agree. Charlotte really shouldn't be in North Carolina 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
    Totally agree. Charlotte really shouldn't be in North Carolina 
    hahaha, no, I'll give 'em their NC card, but please... no BBQ! :rofl:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
     Not limited too...

I enjoy most every regions BBQ dishes and styles. Heck, up here in CT all we can get is good(or bad...) copies of other regions 'Q. Nothing original coming out of here.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim