Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

wood experts: question about torch and staining

Options
FanOfFanboys
FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
I am building a bar for tailgating. This weekend I stained the sides, have not stained the front yet. Someone mentioned to me to do the burn look using my torch. 

I have a few extra pieces I am going to test on but here is my question: can the torch be done after the stain is applied? or should it be done prior?

if prior only, I can torch the front then stain. if can be done after stain then I can do the sides
Boom

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    It's torch first. 
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    It's torch first. 
    damn, figured

wish I knew this yesterday morn!

now to decide if I should torch the front or just go ahead and stain entire thing?
    Boom
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    why not do a trial piece and see what happens
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    As above, do a test piece of stained wood. You might be ok if it's JUST a stain and not a combo stain/sealer.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    As above, do a test piece of stained wood. You might be ok if it's JUST a stain and not a combo stain/sealer.
    will do a trial piece on scrap but it is stain/sealer combo 

gah, wish I heard about this yesterday morn instead of the evening!
    Boom
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Yea you have to torch it first. If not, the smell of the fresh burning stain would probably knock you out lol.

here is a piece that I torched before staining. It adds character by lifting the wood grain, but the right stain can do that too.

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    might be a dumb question but can I remove the stain from the wood I did?

I really do not like the look of it stained, wish I knew about the torch prior. To the point I might just trash what I have built and build new sides if I can't somehow make it work
    Boom
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    might be a dumb question but can I remove the stain from the wood I did?

I really do not like the look of it stained, wish I knew about the torch prior. To the point I might just trash what I have built and build new sides if I can't somehow make it work
    Get out your sander 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Bleaching and sanding and cussing will never remove it all, but instead either try to change the color or tone to what you want, or paint it or trash it! The choice is yours  but depending on the species of wood and the quality of the initial stain are all determining factors!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    RRP said:
    Bleaching and sanding and cussing will never remove it all, but instead either try to change the color or tone to what you want, or paint it or trash it! The choice is yours  but depending on the species of wood and the quality of the initial stain are all determining factors!
    I think you are right ha
    Boom
  • slovelad
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Here's a thought. You can achieve a similar look of raised wood grain and rustic look if you buzz the wood grain with a sander and go over it with a darker stain to bring out those high spots in the wood.

this is a assuming you aren't using a plywood, in which case it wouldn't much matter because the torched look won't really work. It needs to me somewhat rough timber
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    slovelad said:
    Here's a thought. You can achieve a similar look of raised wood grain and rustic look if you buzz the wood grain with a sander and go over it with a darker stain to bring out those high spots in the wood.

this is a assuming you aren't using a plywood, in which case it wouldn't much matter because the torched look won't really work. It needs to me somewhat rough timber
    no plywood. pine fence wood for panels on side and 2x4 for frames

that is another option

I stained a scrap piece tonight. will hit with torch tomorrow, just to experiment

from there I will decide if I start over on sides, stain remaining, or move on to other ideas

and I still have not decided on what to do a for a top, which was supposed to be my biggest decision! I want a nice piece of wood there. want that to be the centerpiece

really wish I did not do that stain yesterday, though
    Boom
  • slovelad
    Options
    I like to do a chevron pattern for bar tops

here is an 8' bar that I built (with steel tube base)

Pretty simple and I've done it a few time with success.

here is another example It on an egg fold up side table

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Not being a smart*ss here, but if all this is about a bartop for a tailgate bar thing if I were you I would quit worrying so much about the look this early on. I mean either you are going to be so concerned with your beautiful finish that you will piss off anybody who leaves a wet ring on that soft pine top bar thereby ruining it - OR - just go ahead and use it the one time WHEN it gets ruined and cover that bartop with a sheet of Formica in your team's color and relax, Francis!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    RRP said:
    Not being a smart*ss here, but if all this is about a bartop for a tailgate bar thing if I were you I would quit worrying so much about the look this early on. I mean either you are going to be so concerned with your beautiful finish that you will piss off anybody who leaves a wet ring on that soft pine top bar thereby ruining it - OR - just go ahead and use it the one time WHEN it gets ruined and cover that bartop with a sheet of Formica in your team's color and relax, Francis!
    if for me I would agree

but this is a gift and it is a tailgate for adults, not college kids. pretty nice setup they have there already and want to give away something people will enjoy and that they can use on their deck other times of the year

Boom