Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Non-OO Cook

Options
LDR
LDR Posts: 414
I just loaded the egg for the first time with anything other than Ozark Oak.  I'm going to go through a few bags of Royal Oak I picked up at the HD sale, and then a few bags of Rockwood that just arrived from Firecraft.
Should I expect to see meaningful variations in start time, or tendencies to go hot?  Thanks!
I've still got several bags of OO left, but am holding them in reserve.

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    OO to RO.... you're in for culture shock. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    It'll take longer to clear out the white smoke for sure. 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    OO and Rw are quite comparable. If you are in central arkansas parkers is available locally and is a close second to the other two. Royal oak is okay but you will notice a difference. 

Little Rock, AR

• LDR
    edited June 2017
    Options

My inexperienced guess was that Rockwood would be my replacement, but that Royal Oak would be fine for grilling.

I had forgotten about Parker's at Congo.  It's dangerous to go in there - I keep looking at a possible second egg.

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Ozark and Rockwood are nearly identical - same forest source, the Missouri Ozarks.
    Royal Smoke is the same as BGE lump, it will smoke white until you get over 300º or so, and it will be quite noticeable if you've been using OO for a long time.

I bought a bag of Cowboy at Costco, 50¢ a lb and worth it. Here's a sample of what came out of that bag, it had a dozen or so just like it:

Get what you pay for, I guess at 50¢ a pound, you get rocks.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Royal Oak will impart a smokier flavor than OO and RW.  Adjust your additional wood chunks accordingly.  ( If all I have is RO, then I don't add wood chunks.)
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe Posts: 406
    edited June 2017
    Options
    OO and Rw are quite comparable. If you are in central arkansas parkers is available locally and is a close second to the other two. Royal oak is okay but you will notice a difference. 
    Where do you find parkers in Little Rock?  Asking for my brother. 
  • LDR
    Options

SloppyJoe said:
    I believe he got it at Congo Fireplace and Patio in Benton.
  • LDR
    Options
    The Royal Oak definitely had a stronger smoke flavor on its own, even for a quick grill of some chicken breasts.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    LDR said:

SloppyJoe said:
    I believe he got it at Congo Fireplace and Patio in Benton.

Yep

Little Rock, AR

• LDR
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I was in Congo today and they had a good supply at $18 for twenty pounds.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited July 2017
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    Ozark and Rockwood are nearly identical - same forest source, the Missouri Ozarks.
    Whaaaaaaaaaat???  :o   We're pulling from the Mark Twain National Forest; they were pulling from the Ozark National Forest.  Not even close in comparison--that 100 miles makes all the difference.  Our wood here in Missouri is a million times better than that Arkansas crap!!!!  Hahahhahaa.  :get_outta_here:
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Dang @stlcharcoal - you sound like those European vintners who can get several $$ more per bottle just because they are on the other side of the road. BTW- when asked I failed to get a good answer as to why-something about dirt...  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I'm going to pick up a bog or two of Kamado Joe at my local Ace tomorrow and will ask them to order some Rockwood.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Options
    I ended up getting a sample bag of Parkers sent to me. It had some normal issues with respect to putting charcoal in a random bag (piece milled from a lowes box or two) and ran through the shipping circus. So it was all small stuff as you would expect. I know that's not the case for their normal product (right @stlcharcoal ?!) but for a free bag I don't care. It burned perfectly and cleanly. If I have the opportunity to get more I definitely will. I couldn't tell a difference between it and OO. Same burn pattern tendencies. Highly recommend. 

I did hust just order a 6 bagged from firecraft and it came through without a scratch or broken pieces!
    Large BGE in Moore, OK