Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pulled Pork

In about 6 weeks, I am giving a shower at which there will be about 25 guests. My plan was to serve pulled pork for sandwiches. I have the minimax, so I decided to do a test cook, and bought a 5.5 # pork shoulder, seasoned it with a rub I mixed up of chili powder, cumin, dry mustered, pepper, salt, brown sugar...Cooked it for 6 hours at around 280 or 300. At that point, the lump was mostly used up I guess, as the dome temp. began to fall. The pork was at 190 in some places and maybe only 180 in other places, but I pulled it off and wrapped in foil, some floursack dishtowels (which got wrecked due to the foil leaking) and put it in the cooler. Then fiddled with removing the hot grid, ceramic stone, drip plate that was quite full of grease...to add more lump and relight the grill for the vegetables. Everything was absolutely delicious! I made the Myron Mixon's  vinegar sauce recipe that was posted on here and we all agreed it really took the pork up a notch for sure. Now, the problem is....I didn't end up with a ton of meat, and the thought of grilling possibly 3 of these in order to have enough for sandwiches for the guests at the shower, and for the guys who show up after the shower...well, I am thinking maybe pulled beef might be the way to go...like less shrinkage and less fat, so more meat resulting? I don't know. However, it is tempting to do the work of the pork butts because it was really good, and fairly easy. Also, I wouldn't be grilling any vegetables, so would not be dealing with hot grill parts and reloading; I could get these done in advance, then re-heat with some of the vinegar sauce...I might mention that the minimax was loaded with lump clear up to the ceramic stone..BGE lump...does it burn up quicker compared to Rockwood? Anyway, here are the pics. Thanks again to the forum experts for all the good information I found by searching!
Normal, IL 
Minimax

Comments

• That all looks outstanding! I vote for the pulled pork. No problem in doing ahead and reheating. As far as green lump lasting longer than RW I can't say. Hard to go wrong with RW though. The key is you need small pieces so you can get more lump, resulting in a longer burn time. Good luck!
    Snellville, GA

• Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    I find you lose 50% of either brisket or pork butt. I don't know about other cuts of beef. You can cook a butt and freeze it to build up your stash. Reheats great with chicken broth. 
    This was 70lbs before trimming. 

• itzann
    itzann Posts: 35
    Wow, that is a huge pile of meat!!

Normal, IL 
    Minimax
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    edited June 2017
    Six weeks is plenty of time to negotiate a good price on a Large or XL.  I'm going to have to try Myron Mixon's vinegar sauce.  Besides getting a larger egg you're kind of limited...pulled pork does go a long ways.  Can you fit a larger size shoulder on the Mini Max and finish it off in your oven if you run out of coals?  After a few hours on the egg you should have a great flavor profile and adequate bark so all you'll be doing is pushing it to your target temp then FTC.   BTW...looks like the cook turned out nice.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    I say go with the pork as you know how good it is. Just need to do them in advance and reheat the day of. As stated above after several hours in the Egg the flavor is there, then wrap in foil and in the big white clock (oven) in the kitchen to finish. I think 3 - 7 lb butts would be enough pork with sides. Good luck

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    If your food tastes as good as it looks, can I come?

If all you have is the MM, I guess you'll have to cook several butts in advance and reheat when the time comes. Cook, pull, blend with some eastern NC vinegar sauce, vac seal in 1 lb bags or so, refrigerate til ready, heat a pot of water to about 160°, add vac sealed bags for about 30-45 minutes and serve. Serve with whatever sauce floats your boat, but I think the NC stuff MAKES it.

I did that last year for Mom's 100th birthday. I think we served about 40-50 people. I cooked four 8 lb butts in her oven (no egg there) and we had leftovers (don't remember how much). Not quite as good as egged, but still excellent. There's a formula for how much raw pork per person, but I can never remember.

Hope this helps! Enjoy!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• itzann
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Six weeks is plenty of time to negotiate a good price on a Large or XL.  I'm going to have to try Myron Mixon's vinegar sauce.  Besides getting a larger egg you're kind of limited...pulled pork does go a long ways.  Can you fit a larger size shoulder on the Mini Max and finish it off in your oven if you run out of coals?  After a few hours on the egg you should have a great flavor profile and adequate bark so all you'll be doing is pushing it to your target temp then FTC.   BTW...looks like the cook turned out nice.
    Thank you. Ha,  I actually told my husband we needed to get a bigger Egg, but realistically, this minimax is all we need for most situations! And, yes, I could probably get a 7 pounder on there OK...and finishing in the oven is a good idea. Thank you.
    Normal, IL 
    Minimax
  • itzann
    I say go with the pork as you know how good it is. Just need to do them in advance and reheat the day of. As stated above after several hours in the Egg the flavor is there, then wrap in foil and in the big white clock (oven) in the kitchen to finish. I think 3 - 7 lb butts would be enough pork with sides. Good luck
    I think I am leaning towards doing the pork...like you said, I already know how good it is. And we will have a good number of sides, too, so that will help stretch the pork. I am also going to locate some dollar rolls...those are smaller and people won't end up making a huge sandwich that then gets half thrown away (which I can't stand to see happen!). A person can always go back for a second or third...Also for kids, the dollar rolls are a great size. 
    Normal, IL 
    Minimax
  • itzann
    If your food tastes as good as it looks, can I come?

If all you have is the MM, I guess you'll have to cook several butts in advance and reheat when the time comes. Cook, pull, blend with some eastern NC vinegar sauce, vac seal in 1 lb bags or so, refrigerate til ready, heat a pot of water to about 160°, add vac sealed bags for about 30-45 minutes and serve. Serve with whatever sauce floats your boat, but I think the NC stuff MAKES it.

I did that last year for Mom's 100th birthday. I think we served about 40-50 people. I cooked four 8 lb butts in her oven (no egg there) and we had leftovers (don't remember how much). Not quite as good as egged, but still excellent. There's a formula for how much raw pork per person, but I can never remember.

Hope this helps! Enjoy!
    It really did taste as good as it looks! My husband and three of our daughters were here for supper last night, and everyone agreed it was good, and the girls all wanted the recipe for that vinegar sauce! From everyone's advice, I think I will go with the option of starting them on the Egg and finishing in the oven. That will cut down on time spent watching the Egg, and yet give great flavor! Thanks for the advice.
    Normal, IL 
    Minimax
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351

Pork butts are easy and always come out great, you have proven that yourself with this cook, Good Job by the way. It has been my experience that the folks that come to eat the day of will rave about how great it is. Your going to rock out some awesome food for the shower.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• itzann

Pork butts are easy and always come out great, you have proven that yourself with this cook, Good Job by the way. It has been my experience that the folks that come to eat the day of will rave about how great it is. Your going to rock out some awesome food for the shower.

Thank you for the vote of confidence! I think the pork will be a winner!

Normal, IL 
    Minimax
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    The best butt I've made was on the mm. Overnight, no controller.   Better than my large, same finish temp. I agree pulled pork reheats so well, it's not worth getting another egg. Just bag it, and re-heat it.  
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    I'd go as far to say pulled pork tastes better the next day, after it's had a night (or two, or three) to sit.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    I find you lose 50% of either brisket or pork butt. I don't know about other cuts of beef. You can cook a butt and freeze it to build up your stash. Reheats great with chicken broth. 

Agreed. If I'm cooking butts, I always cook extra so I can vac-seal for easy reheats. I never tried chicken broth, I've been using beef broth.

XL BGE
    MD
  • SSQUAL612
    It does reheat nicely after vac-seal. I always cook way more than I can eat and then vac-seal in small servings to pull out when I'm pushed for time or don't feel like cooking...it's great in quesadilla's and just found a recipe for leftover pulled pork egg rolls I'm going to try.   I've sealed it pulled or in half or 1/4 shoulders...either way it's good...not quite as good as fresh, but close enough.
    I've done the same with ribs and brisket too and it all works.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    The PP looks good from here, but so does that corn!

I think 1/3rd lb of raw meat per person is what the usual estimate is. But the number of sides, how many men/women/ kids are eating, and size of the rolls will indeed make a difference.

I like serving Kings Hawaiian rolls with PP. Add coleslaw and a dollop of sauce and you have a great slider . Helps stretch the quantity of meat too. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • itzann
    edited June 2017
    caliking said:
    The PP looks good from here, but so does that corn!

I think 1/3rd lb of raw meat per person is what the usual estimate is. But the number of sides, how many men/women/ kids are eating, and size of the rolls will indeed make a difference.

I like serving Kings Hawaiian rolls with PP. Add coleslaw and a dollop of sauce and you have a great slider . Helps stretch the quantity of meat too. 
    I'll bet the King's Hawaiian Rolls would be good with the pork, and they are a nice size, too. And I think we will also have some great sides. I always like to have too much of everything, and then have great leftovers for a couple of days! Oh, and the corn was good, too. I used the Mexican Street Corn recipe...smearing with mayo and seasonings. 

Normal, IL 
    Minimax
  • SSQUAL612

@Smokin_Trout  Is this an actual cook?   
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    @SSQUAL612 yes that was a real cook. Had 9 in the fridge and we were headed out of town in a few days. Didn't want to leave anything that I would have to cook after we got back. Took about 24 hours @ 225-250