Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crack in base

Would this hairline crack be covered under warranty?
 I was cleaning out my XL egg this morning and noticed this crack.

XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    That will be covered under warranty 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    Yup, if you are the original owner. They covered the crack in the base of my large a few years ago. I noticed light smoke coming out between the egg and the table. I started to get worse so I cleaned it out and found the crack. 
    Take care of it as it will grow and could become a major safety hazard.
  •  I have not seen any smoke  come in from the bottom side of the base not even sure if it's all the way through.   But it definitely has a crack in it.  Yes it is still usable for now but like you said I don't want the issue to get worse in the long run. 

With a base like this do you know if the dealers request that you bring the bass in for them to have a warranty it out  or did they pretty much tell you to keep it while they  get your new one in?

I don't think it's a bad idea to have a second base as a back up LOL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887

With a base like this do you know if the dealers request that you bring the bass in for them to have a warranty it out  or did they pretty much tell you to keep it while they  get your new one in?

Seems to differ dealer to dealer so just ask. With my dealer a picture will suffice...others won't take your word! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Have done several warranty claims. Am on my third XL base, second Large. Send the dealer a picture. Wouldn't hurt to send a picture of the receipt as well...
  • The dealer said they will warranty the base but he told me it's going to be at least one month before it will come in because he just recently got a order of egg supplies in..
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    If it's in a nest no biggie IMO.  I have 2 nested eggs with similar base cracks at least 3 yrs old and they haven't grown although 2 new bases are staring them down.  Can't speak for tabled eggs.  Suppose it comes down to your level of risk.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    I'm not trying to be an A$$ but I'm sure that's what many will think! But I always wonder why people come on here and ask if something will be covered by BGE warranty! As far as I know the process is to contact a BGE dealer and they will determine if it's covered, if that fails one can appeal to BGE direct. I can tell you that having a great dealer is of great importance if one has a problem, It's also very smart to support your dealer by actually buying products from them. 

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    edited June 2017
    I'm not trying to be an A$$ but I'm sure that's what many will think! But I always wonder why people come on here and ask if something will be covered by BGE warranty! As far as I know the process is to contact a BGE dealer and they will determine if it's covered, if that fails one can appeal to BGE direct. I can tell you that having a great dealer is of great importance if one has a problem, It's also very smart to support your dealer by actually buying products from them. 
    What he said! :) Plus they seem to start out on the FB forum and then ask the same questions here (leaving some info out) when they didn't get 100% agreement on that forum! ;)

Check with your dealer!

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM