Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I Got a Deal!!

XF15Loader
XF15Loader Posts: 22
edited June 2017 in EggHead Forum
Hello Eggheads!!  Recently I was lucky enough to stumble upon an incredible offer and became the lucky owner of a LG BGE and table.  

I've since made a butt, pizza, burgers n brats, and a few steaks....and I LOVE it.  I've had my eye on the BGE for the better part of 15 or so yrs so was ecstatic when I found a used one for a reasonable price.

Anyway, I'm now beating my head against a wall because...

A.  The thing has a terrible overbite and I can't correct it

B.  It fails the dollar bill test miserably all the way around.

Any suggestions on how to correct this?  I've watched videos and attempted those suggestions to no avail.  As a matter of fact, I removed the bands to replace the gaskets and was sure I could correct it once everything was reassembled...nope.

Is it possible that I just need new bands?  And if so, do I go OEM or are there better to be had?

Thanks for listening and thanks for the informative and delicious posts!!

-J

Comments

• Welcome. Sounds like you need new bands. I would imagine that you have the old style bands. If you can not get rid of a serious overbite and get it to seal properly it will be covered. I would recommend you hold out for the newly redesigned bands.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,163
    edited June 2017
    Give the search function here a look.  The BGE's ran with the same band design for several decades.  Plenty of threads about processes to eliminate the air-leaks (first priority in my book) and likely reduce or remove the underbite.  FWIW-
    Edit: ( a bit slow here this PM).  Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    The new bands should cure that and run about $130 I think. Since you are lot the original owner you don't qualify for the warranty replacement. But don't feel too bad the mothership has been spotty on replacing the under warranty anyway.

someone correct me if I'm wrong.

And welcome to the forum
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    @ XF15Loader Contact @RRP and start with a $20 gasket before replacing hinges. As long as it seals it doesn't matter. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    td66snrf said:
    @ XF15Loader Contact @RRP and start with a $20 gasket before replacing hinges. As long as it seals it doesn't matter. 
    $20 gasket??? I haven't moved off $11 for a Large in 15 years!

BTW @XF15Loader here's some ideas you might want to try before buying a new band and hinge assembly which may not cure your issue anyway!

Here’s an approach in a video that many here claim works even better - BTW the guy made that stainless steel band himself! Pretty neat, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Jplxn4yAg

OR

Overbite/Underbite: A quote from a poster

"I called this morning and spoke to Dewayne at BGE HQ Customer Service.  He was extremely helpful and guided me through the steps to level out the top.  It was extremely simple to do, even for someone who didn't understand the way these things are put together. 

So basically here's what was the problem and what I did.  The first problem was that the lower band was not wrapped around evenly - it was lower in the rear than in the front.  He explained to me that the lower band should come right up to the edge of the lower gasket all the way around the lower half.  So I loosened the carriage bolt on the lower rear band and GENTLY tapped along the band using a block of wood and a rubber mallet until the band was placed evenly around the whole bottom.  Then I tightened the band.  From that point, the underbite had improved significantly, but there was still a bit of unevenness along the planes where the gaskets met and it still did not pass the dollar bill test.  In fact, the gap on the rear side between the gaskets was slightly worse, but I wasn't worried because I knew there were a couple more steps to 

Next step was to adjust the front to back placement to fine tune the sitting of the top to the bottom.  There are two slotted acorn nuts on the top part of the hinge (above the spring) on both sides of the top that needed to be loosened so that I can 'wiggle' the top into a centered position.  So I loosened all 4 nuts, wiggled it into position, then tightened.  Now the top was centered properly (no under or overbite), but there was still unevenness on the plane of contact - in other words, it still failed the dollar bill test. 

The last step was to somewhat repeat the first step (loosening the carriage bolt) except for the upper band.  Wherever there was the largest gap between the two gaskets, I GENTLY tapped the band upward which essentially pushed the lid downward by it's own weight.  Once I saw that the upper band was positioned in such a way that the entire top part of the egg sat nicely and evenly on the bottom, I tightened the carriage bolt of the top band and vuala!  It was fixed.  Dollar bill test passed all the way around the egg.  No more underbite (or overbite). “

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Sorry for the misinformation. The warranty is indeed only good if you are the original owner.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf said:
    $20 gasket??? I haven't moved off $11 for a Large in 15 years!

BTW @XF15Loader here's some ideas you might want to try before buying a new band and hinge assembly which may not cure your issue anyway!

Here’s an approach in a video that many here claim works even better - BTW the guy made that stainless steel band himself! Pretty neat, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Jplxn4yAg

OR

Overbite/Underbite: A quote from a poster

"I called this morning and spoke to Dewayne at BGE HQ Customer Service.  He was extremely helpful and guided me through the steps to level out the top.  It was extremely simple to do, even for someone who didn't understand the way these things are put together. 

So basically here's what was the problem and what I did.  The first problem was that the lower band was not wrapped around evenly - it was lower in the rear than in the front.  He explained to me that the lower band should come right up to the edge of the lower gasket all the way around the lower half.  So I loosened the carriage bolt on the lower rear band and GENTLY tapped along the band using a block of wood and a rubber mallet until the band was placed evenly around the whole bottom.  Then I tightened the band.  From that point, the underbite had improved significantly, but there was still a bit of unevenness along the planes where the gaskets met and it still did not pass the dollar bill test.  In fact, the gap on the rear side between the gaskets was slightly worse, but I wasn't worried because I knew there were a couple more steps to 

Next step was to adjust the front to back placement to fine tune the sitting of the top to the bottom.  There are two slotted acorn nuts on the top part of the hinge (above the spring) on both sides of the top that needed to be loosened so that I can 'wiggle' the top into a centered position.  So I loosened all 4 nuts, wiggled it into position, then tightened.  Now the top was centered properly (no under or overbite), but there was still unevenness on the plane of contact - in other words, it still failed the dollar bill test. 

The last step was to somewhat repeat the first step (loosening the carriage bolt) except for the upper band.  Wherever there was the largest gap between the two gaskets, I GENTLY tapped the band upward which essentially pushed the lid downward by it's own weight.  Once I saw that the upper band was positioned in such a way that the entire top part of the egg sat nicely and evenly on the bottom, I tightened the carriage bolt of the top band and vuala!  It was fixed.  Dollar bill test passed all the way around the egg.  No more underbite (or overbite). “

@RRP I apologize for the price quote. I probably bought two. I hope I'm forgiven. I did head him in your direction. 
  • RRP
    td66snrf said:
    @RRP I apologize for the price quote. I probably bought two. I hope I'm forgiven. I did head him in your direction. 
    LOL - no apology needed! I just ask for a chance to give a quote on multiples as my gaskets are cheap - postage is the variable which saves people money!
  • td66snrf
    The one I bought for my XL I haven't installed yet and now I picked up a small so I'll be contacting you about that soon.
  • RRP
    Great video @RRP
    Thanks - but it wasn't mine, nor did I claim credit for it - sorry if it was yours - PLEASE tell me if it was and I will edit my referral FOREVER!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    RRP said:
    Great video @RRP
    Thanks - but it wasn't mine, nor did I claim credit for it - sorry if it was yours - PLEASE tell me if it was and I will edit my referral FOREVER!
    Nothing more than showing some appreciation for you posting a video you found on the web 
  • XF15Loader
    Thanks for all the suggestions.  I have seen the video but had difficulty figuring out a way to cut the washers. I did follow the other suggestion and that was the closest I could get to fixing the overbite.  

I'll keep tweaking and hopefully get things worked out.  Regardless, $150 for this setup is well worth it, even if I have to get new bands.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    You might can use an e clip. These can be found at Home Depot or an auto parts store. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Keep running before the cops catch you for stealing it at that price! ;)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • td66snrf
    Thanks for all the suggestions.  I have seen the video but had difficulty figuring out a way to cut the washers. I did follow the other suggestion and that was the closest I could get to fixing the overbite.  

I'll keep tweaking and hopefully get things worked out.  Regardless, $150 for this setup is well worth it, even if I have to get new bands.
    Are you saying you got this rig for 150 bucks? 
  • XF15Loader
    Are you saying you got this rig for 150 bucks? 
    I am saying I got this for $150.  The guy was moving out of state and didn't want to move it.  I found the deal on FB and was immediately skeptical. Once I got the address, I looked it up on line.  He was selling g his $800k house as well.  

Turned out to be legit. Nice guy, lovely wife and family.  Prolly gave me more than $150 in accessories.  Like I said...lol...I got a deal!
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    That's an awesome deal. Enjoy it.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• td66snrf
    That's incredible. Congratulations 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,163
    Better to be lucky than good any day!  Great score.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.