Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moving the egg

Options
So I'm in the Army and will about to be stationed in Hawaii. Army moves are somewhat notorious for breaking things in the move. What are some packaging suggestions to help keep my egg safe?

Comments

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Take it apart and ship separately 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Military moved my brother across country. He pulled firebox and fire ring out and insulated everything with towels and cardboard. He also used cardboard between base and dome .. no problems. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    Hope all goes well with your move. When u say moving to Hawaii do u mean Oahu?  If so there's only 2 egg dealers here. Both are ok but not as knowledge as the mainland egg dealers. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    call a local dealer and see if they have a box or a demo they set up. 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Thank you for your service! I agree with Kent8621. I'd check with a dealer and see if they have a box with all the packaging that comes with it. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • enderw30
    enderw30 Posts: 58
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Cardboard is best inside. And if they bust it they buy it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Anytime you are PCSing I always say let the Army move it...even if you're doing a Partial DITY move.  I have had quite a few military friends that have had theirs moved with success...but more importantly, they are liable for it if it breaks. One of my buddies went from Texas to Virginia and the lid was cracked on arrival. They paid full MSRP for reimbursement.  It took him about 120 days to get the check but he got a new Egg and kept the rest for backup parts.

Also a LBGE will fit in a tough box with packing materials.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN