Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Broken Plate Setter

Options
Brason
Brason Posts: 330
edited June 2017 in Off Topic
So I dropped and broke my plate setter yesterday. Now I have the decision of how to replace it. What is the best option? AR or Woo or ?? 

I am open to suggestion at this point. I like the idea of having multiple levels to cook on. I have a LRG.  

Please help me spend my money.
Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA

Comments

• Brason
    Options
    I wanted to add I plan to call and talk to Tom tomorrow at CGS.
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Just call Tom and ask him. Very nice guy. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I own 2 PS and have been fortunate to have never broken either - BUT if I ever do I will replace with AR.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Brason
    Options
    Thanks @RRP I knew I wanted another solution but was not going to spend the money until I "had" to. I am in the if it ain't broke don't fix it camp but, since it's broke now i'm going to get the best solution. I'm just trying to figure out what that is.

Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,383
    Options
    You offered the right comment above.  Call Tom at CGS.   AR is the way to go.  Only question is how many levels...  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Get the cast iron one ... nothing ever, ever beats cast iron.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Hub said:
    You may be right - but in the bounce test I think that neither the ceramic or cast iron will fare as well as a welded, metal AR.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    RRP said
    Hub said:
    You may be right - but in the bounce test I think that neither the ceramic or cast iron will fare as well as a welded, metal AR.
    AR still needs a ceramic heat deflector...  you can just as easily break their stone as a platesetter.  

Now, if Tom makes a cart iron version of his best deflectors that would get my vote.
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited June 2017
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    RRP said
    Hub said:
    AR still needs a ceramic heat deflector...  you can just as easily break their stone as a platesetter.  

Now, if Tom makes a cart iron version of his best deflectors that would get my vote.
    Hub said:
    @GoooDawgs @Hub

I used a bayou classic, cast iron, two sided griddle years ago. It was a pain to use, constantly having to re-season it after each cook. Seemed to always interrupt the timing of cooks when food came off the grill - had to worry about the cast iron instead of getting the food on the table.

The cast iron side that was to the lump took heavy abuse during each cook. Rust took the griddle down. Kinda my lesson with cast iron in the egg, especially with two sided stuff.

Some folks just use a stainless pan on the AR as the deflector. Could go two pans at different heights on the rig: one to block, one to catch drippings.

No way would I use a platesetter without the PSWoo. PSWoo makes life just to easy when handling the platesetter and/or setting-up direct at the felt line.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.