Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Leg Internal Temp?

Options
I am thinking about doing turkey legs for the extended family this weekend. Any opinions on the desired finished temperature as checked by Thermapen? I've located 4 legs so far and ideally need about twice that. Since the yogurt/garlic marinade is only rated for 3 pounds,or about 4 or 5 legs, I might use Dizzy Pig Shaking the Tree on the remaining ones.

Comments

• the_crease
    the_crease Posts: 132
    Options
    I would go 175-180. It's safe at 165 but the juices won't run clear until about 175 or 180.  Per my thermapop on some turkey legs last weekend. Good luck! 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Thanks Crease, I'm about to go off air for a few hours. I'll get back with anybody else in a while.
  • maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Options
    Are they raw or precooked? I can't find any around me that aren't already cooked. 

If raw, follow above but if they're already cooked you're just looking to warm them up. So I would probably do 145 or so. 
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Turkey legs can be delicious, though. there are lots of tendons and cartilage. Personally, I'd be looking for 185-190. Have fun with the family, and happy cooking.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I'm with Chris. I rarely do turkey, but for chicken thighs and legs, I usually pull at a minimum of 175°, but more often, 185°.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Options
    I'm with Chris. I rarely do turkey, but for chicken thighs and legs, I usually pull at a minimum of 175°, but more often, 185°.
    To clarify, do you still go that high even with the precooked ones? Just curious.
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    maso said:
    To clarify, do you still go that high even with the precooked ones? Just curious.
    I wouldn't, but I've never seen precooked turkey parts.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    In my area of North Carolina you can get pre-cooked smoked drumsticks in 30 pound boxes frozen. If you look hard you can also find raw but frozen drumstick sometimes, they are singles or four packs.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    They are raw. The local supermarket sells any parts that they don't chuck through the grinder, they have a big surplus of necks at the moment for instance. Thanks for all of the replies.
  • kindaquick14
    Options
    I'd head for 185°, personally.  Good luck with it!!
    Columbus, OH - XL BGE and Medium BGE
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Thanks, I have managed to locate 8 legs, raw and unfrozen, and they will go on mid morning Saturday. I will try to remember to get a finished picture.