Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Trucks, What do you drive??

Comments

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    I drive a 2006 dodge 2500 (cummins ) 4x4
    abdolutely the best truck I have ever owned .. Got her at a steal of a deal too (low miles)
    this was the last year a diesel was a diesel (before the EPA showed its ass) 

i looked long long and hard until I found my unicorn ... I would seriously look for one of them or get a newer cummins and make sure your dpfs and your EGR's are deleted .. Otherwise are bombproof engines 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited June 2017
    Taco
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    2-Kenworth T600, 1- Freightliner, 1-F-250 Powerstroke, 1-Chevy 3500 Dump bed... If that helps
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • 2008 Grand Caravan.  Ok, it's not a truck.  But with the stow & go seats, I can haul a lot of stuff from Home Depot.  Plus I can take the whole family anywhere in comfort.  It works for me!
    Flint, Michigan
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    been driving a dodge dakota convertible for 27 years now. had a 2006 h2 hummer for 10 days but found them to be tippy

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Focker said:
    WeberWho said:
    Let me throw a beater into the mix:
    Your beater looks a helluva lot nicer than mine after two wrecks.  =)

Nice lookin' Ranger bud.
    Thanks Focker. It gets me from A to B. I've owned this one for the last 30k miles. I've never had it in the shop. My last Ranger I bought for $2,600 and was able to put on another 100,000 miles on it. 

Your truck is perfect. My Grandpa I believe had a 94 Silverado like yours but black and long box. My cousins and I use to drool over that truck when we were kids. My aunt owns it now and it's starting to show its age. I can't tell you how many times I pictured myself driving that truck as a kid!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    piney said:
    2-Kenworth T600, 1- Freightliner, 1-F-250 Powerstroke, 1-Chevy 3500 Dump bed... If that helps
    I forgot about the 84 Chevy squarebody I just recently bought until @DoubleEgger reminded me in his post. Geez, no wonder my Ins premiums are so high.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    DuckDogDr said:
    I drive a 2006 dodge 2500 (cummins ) 4x4
    abdolutely the best truck I have ever owned .. Got her at a steal of a deal too (low miles)
    this was the last year a diesel was a diesel (before the EPA showed its ass) 

i looked long long and hard until I found my unicorn ... I would seriously look for one of them or get a newer cummins and make sure your dpfs and your EGR's are deleted .. Otherwise are bombproof engines 
    My TDI was bombproof even with the DPF and EGR. Too bad VW showed their ass with Dieselgate.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    @DoubleEgger the aluminum so far sucks. I'm really hoping there's improvement or they scrap the idea completely. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Image result for funny el camino pics

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I just picked up a '16 Ford F-150 Supercrew after my neighbor's tree fell on my '07 pathfinder. Bought it used with 18K on it and have taken 2 roadtrips and put about 2K on it. Love it so far. Test drove the new Ram as a rental while I was waiting on the insurance and I liked the Ford better than the Ram. Only thing I think I would do different was I would have looked into the engines more and looked harder for an Ecoboost engine. The one we got had all the stuff we wanted, but none of the stuff we didn't but its the V-8. Its got power for days, but its isn't a gas sipper. I don't do much freeway driving and just city driving I'm just barely getting over 16 miles to the gallon. Of course, with a 10mi round trip to work and back, its not like I have to fill up that much anyway.

From what I heard from the body guy who was looking at our pathfinder, most insurance companies will just replace body panels on the Ford rather than paying to fix them as its cheaper. He said they charge $50 and hour to work on regular cars and $90 for aluminum. By the time it all adds up, its cheaper to just replace it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• tarheelmatt
    I have a 2002 Dodge Ram quad cab, w/ 360 Magnum (year before they introduced the HEMI).  Just clicked 62k miles on it the other day when I drove it.  Don't drive it a lot, but it's there when I need it.  

On Ocracoke Island...

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Was always a a Chevy guy until I bought an F150 in '09 cause the price was right. Put 215k on it in 5 yrs and took $10k in trade toward a '15 King Ranch. So far I've put 82k on the new one and I've had all 12.2k lbs on the hitch, it pulled like hell. I'll stick with em until they make me not want to. 
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    I have a 2011 Ford F150 4x4 crew cab I bought new in January of 2012 with 86000 miles on it and I just paid it off.  It's been very reliable and I don't plan on replacing it any time soon.  I like the new Ford's, but don't want another payment for a while.  The Ford has a lot of room in it, but the Chevy and Ran are ok as well.  I haven't compared trucks in a long time.
    The Fords do have a ton of room. Took mine on a road trip for my brother's bachelor party a few weeks after I bought the first one- 5 grown men in the truck. Had 3 guys across the backseat for 6 hrs and it wasn't tight enough back there for their knees to touch. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2017
    WeberWho said:
    Focker said:
    WeberWho said:
    Let me throw a beater into the mix:
    Your beater looks a helluva lot nicer than mine after two wrecks.  =)

Nice lookin' Ranger bud.
    Thanks Focker. It gets me from A to B. I've owned this one for the last 30k miles. I've never had it in the shop. My last Ranger I bought for $2,600 and was able to put on another 100,000 miles on it. 

Your truck is perfect. My Grandpa I believe had a 94 Silverado like yours but black and long box. My cousins and I use to drool over that truck when we were kids. My aunt owns it now and it's starting to show its age. I can't tell you how many times I pictured myself driving that truck as a kid!
    My Uncle had a early 90s GMC, remember the cloth bench, instrument panel/radio green lights, country music, driving out to the lake hours before sunrise, half-awake, good memories.  

I always loved the gen 4s, jacked up and lowered, fleetside over stepside for sure.

My brother's old Chevy was nicely done.

Body, front end was somewhat squared, not too much, classic heartbeat design.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    blasting said:

dougcrann said:
    02 Cheby 2500HD, Duramax with an Allison. Great truck. Just replaced the problematic injectors...other than that have had 0 problems in the 105k I have had it. 

@dougcrann. What motor do you have?  The 02 with an 8.1 / allison trans was the favorite of all tbe trucks I've owned.
    LB7 Duramax. Thing is known for its injector issues. I got the truck with 90k on it, went another 110k before the injectors went out. I replaced them myself. Installed a lift pump, and flashed the computer with Idaho Rob tunes. Best friend owns a transmission shop, he rebuilt the Allison when I got it. 
    First Chevy truck I own. Absolutely love the thing. Starting to get some squeaks and rattles, but I live on a rough dirt road. Need to spend some time, sure I will be able to silence it. 
    Truck is not without its problems. But they are not the trucks doing. One of them is the front wheel bearings. Just like damn near everything made the front bearings are of a sealed, hub nature. Original ones went 120k, now if I get 20k on them that is a lot. Not very difficult to change, but even with my sizeable discount at NAPA I am paying close to $200 A shot...
  • WeberWho
    edited June 2017
    dougcrann said:
    blasting said:

dougcrann said:
    02 Cheby 2500HD, Duramax with an Allison. Great truck. Just replaced the problematic injectors...other than that have had 0 problems in the 105k I have had it. 

@dougcrann. What motor do you have?  The 02 with an 8.1 / allison trans was the favorite of all tbe trucks I've owned.
    LB7 Duramax. Thing is known for its injector issues. I got the truck with 90k on it, went another 110k before the injectors went out. I replaced them myself. Installed a lift pump, and flashed the computer with Idaho Rob tunes. Best friend owns a transmission shop, he rebuilt the Allison when I got it. 
    First Chevy truck I own. Absolutely love the thing. Starting to get some squeaks and rattles, but I live on a rough dirt road. Need to spend some time, sure I will be able to silence it. 
    Truck is not without its problems. But they are not the trucks doing. One of them is the front wheel bearings. Just like damn near everything made the front bearings are of a sealed, hub nature. Original ones went 120k, now if I get 20k on them that is a lot. Not very difficult to change, but even with my sizeable discount at NAPA I am paying close to $200 A shot...
    If you have an Advance Auto Parts near you look into their online coupons. It's crazy what you can save. Go to dealcatcher.com and type in Advance Auto Parts in the search engine. Definitely worth checking out if you have one near you. (Example: Spend $100 and save $40) 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    dougcrann said:
    blasting said:

dougcrann said:

Had an 03 LB7

It had 4 sets of injectors in 220k miles 2500-3000 bucks each time.  Loved the truck. Get an 04.5 or newer if wanting duramax. 

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Jeremiah said:
    @DoubleEgger the aluminum so far sucks. I'm really hoping there's improvement or they scrap the idea completely. 
    I've heard nothing but bad things about the aluminum. 
  • tarheelmatt
    Jeremiah said:
    I've heard nothing but bad things about the aluminum. 
    There's some steel manufactures looking into making steel, similar weight as aluminum, but stronger obviously.  Had a meeting with one company last month for their electrical equipment update/upgrades.    
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I have a 2002 Dodge Ram quad cab, w/ 360 Magnum (year before they introduced the HEMI).  Just clicked 62k miles on it the other day when I drove it.  Don't drive it a lot, but it's there when I need it.  

On Ocracoke Island...

62K? Time to tighten those head bolts....

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • tarheelmatt
    JRWhitee said:

On Ocracoke Island...

62K? Time to tighten those head bolts....
    Yep, 62k.  I don't drive it a whole lot.  

You're probably right Jim.  Hahah....

Maybe you could drive it get them to turn loose, then I'll tighten them?  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    I bought a 2005 Dodge 2500 Diesel when I retired. I have about 198,000 miles on it and still running like a champ. Gets 18.5 in the city and 23.5 on the highway. Gets about 17.5 towing the boat. It is a nice light Stroker Bass Boat.
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    1997 GMC Sierra S-15.  235K or so on the clock.  Mint.  Only change to this baby is the windows have been tinted to 50% opacity.  Everyone wants this thing off me now.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    1997 GMC Sierra S-15.  235K or so on the clock.  Mint.  Only change to this baby is the windows have been tinted to 50% opacity.  Everyone wants this thing off me now.
    Nice, clean, truck!
    They don't make 'em like that anymore that's for sure.

Plan on going 30%(max here in IL) on my side windows soon.  Got a friend of a friend that will do it for $50.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DoubleEgger
    edited June 2017
    WeberWho said:
    dougcrann said:
    blasting said:

dougcrann said:

If you have an Advance Auto Parts near you look into their online coupons. It's crazy what you can save. Go to dealcatcher.com and type in Advance Auto Parts in the search engine. Definitely worth checking out if you have one near you. (Example: Spend $100 and save $40) 
    Order online with in store pickup. Use code P20 to get 20% off up to $50. I bought an Optima Yellow top battery the other day... $50 off. 
  • WeberWho
    edited June 2017
    WeberWho said:
    dougcrann said:
    blasting said:

dougcrann said:

Order online with in store pickup. Use code P20 to get 20% off up to $50. I bought an Optima Yellow top battery the other day... $50 off. 
    I did my front discs and pads a few summers ago on my truck for $60 with their coupons. Hard to beat their pricing

Minnesota
  • DoubleEgger
    WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    dougcrann said:
    blasting said:

dougcrann said:

I did my front discs and pads a few summers ago on my truck for $60 with their coupons. Hard to beat their pricing
    Now if I could just find a deal like that on Yamaha engine parts and Yamalube 
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    @pescadorzih Digging the BGE green! @SchwarzenEGGer I figured that video might make an appearance, well played. @kdink my father in law has a suburban and loves it, that thing drives like a couch, I considered one but I think I would get more functionality out of a truckbed! Thanks for all the other comments and pictures guys, y'all have some good lucking trucks!
    LBGE
    AL