Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Sleep Apnea

Options
Rascal
Rascal Posts: 3,923
Anyone diagnosed with this syndrome...  use a cpap?  Like to hear of your experience..
Thanx

Comments

• Tak
    Tak Posts: 145
    Options
    I use a cpap.....works great....took a min to get use to it.....really helped my health....lowered my blood pressure and allowed me to get solid nights rest....sleep apnea really can hurt your overall health if you don't treat it
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
    Never used one but as a medical professional I will tell you that having sleep apnea puts a tremendous strain on your heart over time and using a CPAP alleviates that. Chances are you knew that already but couldn't help but throw that in.
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Indigestion, gone.  Bathroom breaks at 2 am, gone.  Tired in the morning, gone.  Sore/tired legs after a nights rest, gone.  Grumpiness, gone.  High blood pressure, alleviated.  

Download "Sleepyhead", AUS software package to monitor your sleep better than your doctor or DME.  Icon is a sheep with a mask on.  

Do some research, you'll be amazed at the support out there if you want it.  I use "p10 pillows" not a mask, they look funky but allows me to read or watch tv at night.  Also, now I can't breath through my mouth when I sleep.  The pillows have trained my body tononly breath through my nose when sleeping.  Kind of a pain at deer camp (don't take my machine), but I accept it as part of hunting experience.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I have sleep apnea, use CPAP, and I strongly urge you, if you have sleep apnea or might have sleep apnea, to get that sorted out for sure and treated.  It can take a little while to get used to the mask, but no kidding, it's just not a big deal, and it can SAVE YOUR LIFE.

I try to breathe every day, AND every night.  I consider breathing important for my health.

;)
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    If you have been advised to get a CPAP after sleep study DO IT NOW.  
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options

I was racking up hundreds of episodes a night back in the day... Then I got a machine and actually slept. Doctors told me there isn't really any cure, but the CPAP is the way to go vs the other treatments.

However, I lost a good bit of weight, and the apnea subsided dramatically, to the point where I don't need a mask anymore. If you have a naturally narrow jaw, and 'get plump', your soft palate in the back of your throat also gets plump, making the airway even smaller.

Can't say it would work for everyone, but it definitely won't hurt.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Have sleep apnea and been using a CPAP for at least a decade. I use it all night every night.

Only took a few days to get used to it. Finding a mask that fits well is important. I went thru a few before settling on one.

The machines these days are very quiet. Most of the noise comes from the "exhaust vent" on the mask or fitting near the mask.

If you have never had a sleep study it is worth doing (tho I'm surprised anybody actually gets any sleep during one of those :) ). If you do have apnea you will be stunned to see how often you actually stop breathing!!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    As people have said.. I have/had this for several years. When through my first physical when I was 35 and EKG yielded a ERV (enlarged right ventricle). Fast forward to now, Im 42 and just went through another physical. I let the new cardiologist know I was diagnosed with an ERV several years before. He stated he could see a "hint of one" in the new EKG but "barely". He then asked if I has sleep apena. I afirmed, and stated I have been on a CPAP machine for ~2 years. He stated to continue to use the CPAP machine and it would be a good possibility my heart could completely rectify the ERV in a few more years...

Get a CPAP, live longer...maybe

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Ditto what @HeavyG said.

I've been using a CPAP for about 10 years since my wife moved out of the bedroom due to my snoring. Did a sleep study and had really bad apnea.

I was in denial because I'm not overweight. But the facts were the facts.

Did take awhile and a few masks/nose pillows to find what works best.

It did give my hair a serious cowlick, though.

Since I went on a CPAP, I've also found out I have CAD... coronary artery disease.  Had a stent installed in 2012. So it's vital that I stay on the CPAP.

I even have a smaller travel machine.

It's become just a routine part of my life. At first I really complained, etc. Than I realized that many people have way more to deal with on a daily basis that a stupid CPAP.

In closing, a former co-worker died in his sleep of a heart attack that was brought on by sleep apnea. He had stopped using his machine.

Also, I believe Justice Antonin Scalia did not put his CPAP on the night he passed.

So, just do it and live to tell the tale!

Welcome to the machine!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Thank you all for your inputs!  I've Just been diagnosed this week.  Somehow I was able to get 6 hours of shut eye at the sleep lab while wearing the mask, so I guess I'll adapt.  Wonder if I'll dream of space walking??!!  ; - )
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Rascal said:
    Thank you all for your inputs!  I've Just been diagnosed this week.  Somehow I was able to get 6 hours of shut eye at the sleep lab while wearing the mask, so I guess I'll adapt.  Wonder if I'll dream of space walking??!!  ; - )

Your post is timely.  I'm waiting to hear back for the third time today from the sleep center.  I've been for two sleep studies in the past month and they are now scheduling a third.  They can't get enough data from me because I don't sleep more than 3 hours.  

Phoenix 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I've been using one for over a decade.  It's made a huge difference for the better.
    Flint, Michigan
  • ShesGotEggs
    ShesGotEggs Posts: 103
    Options
    My husband has one. It has saved our marriage. NO MORE SNORING!!!
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    I just completed a home sleep study and am awaiting the results.    Hopefully CPAP will be soon      Tired of being tired :)
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • BJM2932
    BJM2932 Posts: 119
    Options
    As many have said before, if a CPAP is recommended you should use it.  Your heart will thank you.  Most of my patients who use CPAP say they love it after a minor getting used to period.  
    L BGE
    Paoli, PA

Instagram

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    BJM2932 said:
    As many have said before, if a CPAP is recommended you should use it.  Your heart will thank you.  Most of my patients who use CPAP say they love it after a minor getting used to period.  
    Agreed, wish I would have had it at 16.  Minor inconvenience but well worth it!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Bottomfeeder28
    Options
    As another said, timely thread. This will be night 3 for me. I see a difference already. I was so tired in the morning that my motor skills just to make coffe and get out the door was a task. I hope it helps. The snoring so far is gone. Good luck brother. Chris
  • Meeeshigan22
    Meeeshigan22 Posts: 306
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Ditto what @HeavyG said.

I've been using a CPAP for about 10 years since my wife moved out of the bedroom due to my snoring. Did a sleep study and had really bad apnea.

I was in denial because I'm not overweight. But the facts were the facts.

Did take awhile and a few masks/nose pillows to find what works best.

It did give my hair a serious cowlick, though.

Since I went on a CPAP, I've also found out I have CAD... coronary artery disease.  Had a stent installed in 2012. So it's vital that I stay on the CPAP.

I even have a smaller travel machine.

It's become just a routine part of my life. At first I really complained, etc. Than I realized that many people have way more to deal with on a daily basis that a stupid CPAP.

In closing, a former co-worker died in his sleep of a heart attack that was brought on by sleep apnea. He had stopped using his machine.

Also, I believe Justice Antonin Scalia did not put his CPAP on the night he passed.

So, just do it and live to tell the tale!

Welcome to the machine!
    Man, you might have convinced me to give a cpap another shot.

I was diagnosed 13 years ago at 30, hated the machine so I gave up in 10 minutes. Was in shape and exercised daily so I thought I could get by.

If I ever get a good nights sleep it's a miracle, wife booted me to the couch years ago. The minor inconvenience might be worth it.

Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • ChuckR
    ChuckR Posts: 248
    Options
    I cannot agree with all the posts enough. Changed my life. Get a mask that is comfortable for you and it will be worth it.

Suwanee, GA
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I cannot sleep without my CPAP anymore.  I wake up once per night (sometimes I don't) instead of 4-5 times.  I fall asleep faster.   I wake up rested.  I can have meetings in the afternoon without feeling terribly tired.  Fewer migraines/headaches.  I could go one.  It was a life changer for me and SWMBO (I don't snore anymore, apparently it was bad).

I had a hard time finding a mask that was not invasive.  I highly recommend Brevida by Fisher & Paykel

https://www.fphcare.com/homecare/sleep-apnea/masks/brevida/

I am now using a newer model Philips respironics CPAP.  They are a lot more silent than previous versions.  SWMBO can barely hear it.

Options
    best thing i ever did, the doc said i have to wake up 40 times in an hour b4 trying the machine, they called into me to see if i was ready to try the cpap and i said i i thought i had to fall asleep first they said i had i said you going to tell me i have been snoring to they said watch the video. Hooked me up slept 4 hours thought more like 24, went home with it took awhile to get used to just have the nose pillow one, had to go with out for a week got the new mask getting in and putting on i said Hi Honey and my wife said what did you say, works great give it time and do not give up
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Be lost without mine....and sleeping in the garage if Ernie didn't have hers. During the sleep study I had 65 "incidents" in 30 minutes of monitoring. 
    Try to get a heated hose...and a machine that the user can turn it on/off. During the winter months I have the heater on, warmer months off. 
    I have had more than one late night freakout...hose wraps around my neck...
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Options
    Everyone has given you good advice and all the details. I'll just say that I have been sleeping with a CPAP since 1992.  Any time I lay down the mask goes on. 
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    Yup, and get it if diagnosed.  If you have the benefits to pay for it get one that auto adjusts the pressure and make sure there is humidification
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    Been on one for years ! Everyone has given you good advice, My apnea hypopnea number was 38. Never thought I could sleep with something on my face, slept 6 hours straight the first night. On my second machine now a Resmed Air Sense 10 , very quiet , use nasal pillow mask, very comfortable. Good Luck to you !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SWMBO has severe sleep apnea.  Her CPAP not only allows her to sleep through the night, but me too (snoring could wake the dead).  In her sleep study, they put her on it after only 30 minutes, it was so severe.  Also, I believe it helped me cut down on drinking, because I'd have to be completely hammered to sleep through that snoring.
    Options
    Me too.  14 years, and probably waited at least 14 longer than I should've.  Game changer for me, won't sleep without it.  Personally, I hate the humidifier, but that's me.  Try all of the options and masks and work out what's best for you.  Sucks to have to use it, but sucks much worse to not use it.
  • Jonnysouth
    Jonnysouth Posts: 162
    Options
    I use one with the nose pillows. Love it, I hate dosing off for a nap without it because I wake up all sore in the throat area because of snoring. There's no doubt I could stand to lose a good 50-75 lbs...I currently fluctuate between 300-310 lbs...docs say I need to do Atkins or Mediterranean diets...tough to get serious about it but I know I need to. CPAP= Good Thing!
  • Zaltydog
    Zaltydog Posts: 106
    Options
    @calracefan which mask are you using? I have been doing cpap for 11 years. Wanting to try a nasal mask.
    I find humidification and a heated hose during colder months a must have. Hose management and the mask interface are the key elements to making the thing work. It is well worth the effort.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    As many have said the mask is the biggest deal.  All of the major manufactures of PAP mask offer a 30day mask fit program, so you're not stuck with what you initially take home.  One thing I'd suggest is that you ask the DME company to provide you with a ResMed airsense unit.  This allows them to get compliance data remotely and adjust pressures from the office, so that you don't need to go to the office. for goodness sakes they all work bankers hours just like I do.  

Our practice recomends all of our patient's be setup on APAP this is a veritable pressure unit.  When you had your study, they picked a pressure that was best for that night; however, you may not always need that setting.   AutoPAP or APAP or Autoset will very based on your position and what's happening to you each and every night.  We generally order these set to a small range based on the titration reports.   So if you needed 10cmH2O to keep your airway splinted open, we'd order a range of 6-14cmH2O.  

Most of the PAP patient's we see select to use a Nasal App devise like a make or nasal pillows.  Many seem to like the new AirFit series by ResMed (P10 or N20) some have gone with a nasal seal made by a company called Reapironics (DreamWear) and a few use the Brevida by F&P.  

Good of luck and if you have any questions just send me a PM.   

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2