Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do Rutland gaskets hold up to 1000+ degree clean burns?

Options
I did a clean burn last week and I can't tell if my gasket is shot or not.. it feels a little crispy. I thought they were indestructible?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    A Rutland withstands 2,200º which is FAR above anything a BGE can reach at the gasket level. Perhaps your adhesive let loose, but I'll assure you the Rutland wasn't damaged! Send me a PM and I'll talk you through the reattachment. BTW did you buy it from me?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't think mine's never been to 1000°...but 900° was fine. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    if its stuck on your good to go, dont sweat it. even if its loose in a spot it still seals.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Mine is crispy as shi*

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Mine is crispy as shi*
    Well. I'm not here to pick a fight but make an observation. If you damaged your  Rutland from high heat then you would have completely destroyed any of the lesser gasket materials LONG LONG before you hurt that Rutland! Honestly in 15 years you and the OP are the first ones who have ever told me they damaged their Rutlands!  I'm now North of the 3,400 mark.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    BTW, there is no need to go to 900 or 1000 for a clean. If you hold at 600 or 650 for an hour or so, your egg will be clean. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    abpgwolf said:
    BTW, there is no need to go to 900 or 1000 for a clean. If you hold at 600 or 650 for an hour or so, your egg will be clean. 
    Mine was a pizza. =) Haven't done either for years... 900° or egged pizza.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Yes, yes they do.....