Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Ribs - Ideas?

Options
Decided to do ribs for the first time on my egg.  I've done ribs before on a Masterbuilt electric smoker and they actually came out pretty good, so I had high hopes.

Bought a 3 pack of ribs from Costco.  The membrane was already removed so I threw a simple rub on them and let them sit for an hour.  I got the egg temp stabilized at 250 and put them on indirect with the plate setter.  I didn't have enough room for them to lay flat so I used a rib rack and cut each rack in half.  After 2 hours I foiled each half rack, added some apple juice and put them back on for 2 hours, after that removed the foil and back on for an hour.  After the 5 hours and a 20 min rest, these weren't the fall off the bone ribs I was looking to serve, I have my own theories why but would appreciate feedback.  

Did the rib rack angle these and not let them sit in the juice when foiled?  Should the temp have been at 300 than 250 to render the fat down more?  I did leave a half rack not foiled just on the grate for the full 5 hours.  That one came out the best but I can't be sure, my kids ate them while I was messing with the rest of the ribs.  I didn't get any complaints, but I can do better.  

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    My advice is don't beat yourself up after your first BB on a BGE! Give yourself a break as many of us are still trying to reach perfection EACH and EVERY time! But - you know what?...there are several variables which can make it seem like hit and miss very often. After 17 years of egging I think my disappointments outweigh my successes, but not everybody here will admit it! LOL - Now STAND BACK for the flames!  =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Shocked 2hrs wrapped wasn't fall off the bone. id calibrate your dome thermometer 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Paging @lousubcap
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    IMHO 2hrs foiled is too long. That's why they fell apart. Personally I wouldn't go more than an hour. Half an hour uncovered sauced should be plenty. 

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    Nothing further to add other than I would check your thermo.  You should have achieved the fall off the bone with two hours sealed in foil regardless of how they were positioned.  The tooth-pick test will let you know the texture before you declare victory.  Not sure how you determined they were done at the 5 hours mark but time isn't the driver here.  FWIW-
    @RRP has it right-time to go again.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I haven't used a rack in some time, but my recollection was that the ribs cooked unevenly if I didn't flip them a few times.

I rely on a bend test, or more like a tug test. When I can grab a bone end, and a little jerk starts to tear the bone out, and I can see the membrane around the bone is gone, I know they are done.

I don't foil, just another bother as far as I'm concerned. 5 hours at 250 - 275F dome usually does the trick.
  • News2u
    News2u Posts: 335
    Options
    With baby-backs your head has got to really be into it.

Mine on M-Day were, tender, fall off-the-bone but over steamed during foiling, tasteless, poorly fat-rendered, and I practically needed a magnifying glass to make out the smoke ring. Pretty much the by-product of a flat mop sauce and an effort even less inspired. C- ... if that.

I know what the problem mostly was ... me. 

But for the single malt strategically kept within close range ... it could have been a whole lot worse.
    Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.
  • jetman96
    jetman96 Posts: 127
    Options
    Once you go Turbo, you never go back! Three hours, tops, from opening the package to pull-off-the-bone greatness. (link)
    Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • News2u
    Options
    Man, if I can get 'em like that -- and consistently -- then that's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks.
  • horoegg
    horoegg Posts: 47
    Options
    I never wrap and always end up with tender ribs and a delicious bark.  Whenever I use a rib rack (I did 9 racks once!) the ribs always take longer.  I have a feeling that's what happened here, 5 hours was probably not enough.  Also as some others said time is not the determining factor for doneness.  With ribs I always go with the bend test: grab the ribs half way down the rack with tongs, lift up the rack, and if the bark starts to crack and the meat starts to pull away you are good to go. 

Also stop relying on dome temp and go out and buy a remote thermometer that can measure grate temp. I have a Maverick ET-733 and love it!  I've seen 30+ degree differences between my dome temp and the grate temp. 

Lastly if you are regularly cooking 3 rack of ribs or large amounts of food in general on the egg, do yourself a favor and buy the Adjustable Rig from the Ceramic Grill Store.  This was the single greatest purchase I've made thus far and it will allow you to cook 4 racks of ribs at a time lying flat on the grates or 3 racks and a butt (just did that yesterday and everything came out fantastic!), ribs and chicken, etc.   

Good luck and don't get discouraged.  All of us have bad cooks, even after owning the egg for years sometimes things don't go right.  Keep on experimenting until you find what works best for you. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Wrap or don't, high/med/low temp, sauce/spritz/dry, just cook until done and you'll have great ribs.  I always put ribs on cold, but that's just me.
  • News2u
    Options
    jetman96 said:
    Once you go Turbo, you never go back! Three hours, tops, from opening the package to pull-off-the-bone greatness. (link)
    Okay. I'm trying turbo style today. Will report back.

Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it.
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    I'm sure glad there are so many rib post today. Doing my first baby backs as well. Turbo it is. Had to cut my three Costco racks in half and will use the rib rack too.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• News2u
    Options
    Houston, we are good to go at 15:30. Ready on deck. Roger that:
  • News2u
    Options
    News2u said:
    Houston, we are good to go at 15:30. Ready on deck. Roger that:
    Roger that, News2u. You are clear to go. Repeat: You are clear to go.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    @TN_Sister_State - toothpick test for the win.  Fool-proof. Look for the "probes like buttah" feel (never wrote that before) in the between bones meat.  There is a decided transition from " am I there?"  and when you know you are.  If in doubt let 'em continue to cook.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TN_Sister_State
    Options
    @lousubcap thanks! Put them on a little while ago. @News2u following your cook too. I chose low and slow instead. Will try turbo once I lock in my flavor profile.
    Franklin, Tn

• News2u
    Options
    @lousubcap thanks! Put them on a little while ago. @News2u following your cook too. I chose low and slow instead. Will try turbo once I lock in my flavor profile.
    Roger that, TN Sister State. We were holding steady @ 350° as of 16:00 hours. Will report toothpick status asap per lousubcap suggestion.
  • News2u
    Options
    Maintaining optimum turbo temp @16:37:
  • News2u
    Options
    Just mopped with Jacksonville's finest. Check in 10.
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I think @RRP said it best, don't worry about it so much.  I'm sure it was pretty good anyways!  Baby backs aren't as forgiving as ST Louis spare ribs in my opinion, and if your ribs fall off the bone they are over cooked anyways.  Good luck on the next go around! 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • News2u
    Options
    I would agree completely with @RRP. At any rate, turbo cook tonight came off definitely above average. A hint of a smoke ring, fat rendered very well, meat a little overdone but tasted okay. Nothing to write home about, but an "A" for effect since it was my first turbo cook.

Will go low and slow next time to try to get that elusive tender quotient up.
  • TN_Sister_State
    Options
    Man those look good, mine are coming off soon and I'll have a new post for them since I tried something different. ;)
    Franklin, Tn

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    horoegg said:

Also stop relying on dome temp and go out and buy a remote thermometer that can measure grate temp. I have a Maverick ET-733 and love it!  I've seen 30+ degree differences between my dome temp and the grate temp. 

Not necessary.  Dome temps work fine.  Grid temps also work.  Grid temps can vary 30º depending where on the grid you place the probe.  Grid probes are not a foolproof thing.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• News2u
    Options
    horoegg said:

Not necessary.  Dome temps work fine.  Grid temps also work.  Grid temps can vary 30º depending where on the grid you place the probe.  Grid probes are not a foolproof thing.

Agreed. That said, we did the leftover thing tonight, and the ribs tasted better heated up the day after. The smoke ring looked even more vivid. Or was that  the peyote talking?