Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I camped with my ex-wife for four days

Options
Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited May 2017 in EggHead Forum
Side-by-side lots.
Ex's husband helped me get set up before the only significant storm rolled in on Friday.  I broke a door holder, he gave me a new one for helping install his new lock. 

When the rain cleared, it was time for the boys, both old and new, to line up for haircuts.

Brother's Baby Mama#2 brought my nephew, and her two twins, out to visit.  We had a great time.  Dug the CI grid out my grill tote and cooked brat patties over black cherry, great color.  Like finding CI in the wild, I have a hard time trusting public grills.

We ran a constant fire for four days, with our own wood.  My boy, and nephew's, responsibilities were daytime firepitmasters, grabbing hedge bark, fallen branches, and whatever is dry, to keep a small fire going.  They did a really good job.

Also decided to bring my 14.5 WSM for this flight.  HyVee is now copying Tiefenthaler's skinless brats, they were fantastic.

We did bushes and carrots, diced taters on the lower level.  My ex's garlic shrimp was the best thing to come off the pit, didn't get pics.

The back yard residents were super nice and welcoming.  Always waved, one offered up his golfcart for us for free, invites to their permanent sites, several compliments on our popup and truck, good peeps.  A bags tourney was held, and when it comes to shoes and corn hole, they don't mess around.

A nice torch.

We got beat by the winners first game, worked our way through the losers bracket to finish 4th, fun in the sun.Cracked the vents about a third open, got settled in for the night, topping off with Kingsford before crashing hard.  Lil' Hunter isn't seen, and to the left.  They all had to sleep together.

Awoke to this.  She doesn't look like much, until you pop the hood, and find an 8.5lber with room for another.  Gates Original Classic rub, pecan, 250, didn't touch a vent.

No Thermapen, but the popup indicator let me know we were there.  

Went through a couple dozen of my brother's eggs, 1.5lbs of chorizo, a few pounds of bacon, and chocolate pancakes.  Like my bullet Booger, the 17" BS answered the early morning calls.

Held for few hrs, then chopped for lunch.

Ended the night with a smile and smores.

Next day, wings were solid, Zach's Better Buffalo and Sweet Heat, used Gates again after getting the cleaver treatment.

Then things got a little out of hand when switching from Bud Heavy to a sixer of Revolutions 1ZEnuff.  Woke to this in the morning. Lol

Lunch was then my favorite chain sausage, Conecuh Cajun.  Handed the Buck over to the boy to prep dinner while we snacked.

Supper was breaking out the Peoria pie irons.  They get better with each flight.

Looking forward to the day when he does the cooking, and I sit back, doing nothing. Hahaha

Bread, Colavita, Conecuh, sharp cheddar, he nailed it.

The last campfire, the ex, husband, and I had a really nice talk about the kids, and what we're obligated doing, as a family unit.  I am extremely grateful.  Her Aunt, and my ex-MIL said similar things on separate occasions tonight at my son's game, and with both about life in general.  We had our moments, respecting the fallen by listening to "If You're Reading This", and JJ's "Lead Me Home", but the popup memory maker delivered yet again.  

With a bag of K, firecane torch, split logs, Booger, Tailgater BS, bampoo board, meat cleaver, pie iron, and a Buck 110....I can do anything.  =)

As always, thanks fer lookin'.
Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Looks like an awesome time? No pictures of the ex?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Focker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thanks, it really was.
    She's the hairstylist.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Camping with the ex.  Rather than say something about reverse seering my own privates, I'll instead just say - good for you.  Great pictorial btw.

Phoenix 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    You slept next to your ex and your co-mingled families while separated by greenery and soft sided mobile houses?

I too am from Tennessee!  We have a club. We meet at the rest stop at I-40 exit 101  ;);)

Great looking weekend. Keep those you love close. Life is too short to get consumed with where we all are on our journey. 

Some great looking meals. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• chuckytheegghead
    chuckytheegghead Posts: 1,201
    Options
    dopey said:
    Focker said:
    Thanks, it really was.
    She's the hairstylist.
    Is she named Tiffany?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKWmFWRVLlU
    That video is a classic. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Nice post to start my Wednesday morning...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Great looking time and the food looks delicious! Cool to see that you and the ex are civil with one another. Your son will appreciate that when looking back. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    Great memories for the kids. Good job. We should all be so open with each other. Maybe less arguments would ensue.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    Looks like a great time for you and the kids. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Looks like a good time was had by all.  And yes, a sixer of 1zenuff will get you.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
  • Focker
    Options
    blasting said:

Camping with the ex.  Rather than say something about reverse seering my own privates, I'll instead just say - good for you.  Great pictorial btw.

Lol, thanks b, already looking forward to the next one.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    You slept next to your ex and your co-mingled families while separated by greenery and soft sided mobile houses?

I too am from Tennessee!  We have a club. We meet at the rest stop at I-40 exit 101  ;);)

Great looking weekend. Keep those you love close. Life is too short to get consumed with where we all are on our journey. 

Some great looking meals. 
    Lol, thanks.
    I hear ya, life can change quick.
    It's nice to kick back, slow things down, and have fun, even the sounds of a fire, turkey calls to roost in their tree, hoo-hoo, hoo-hoo, hoo-hoo hoo-hooooo, and coyotes yippin' close by, no city lights, stars gallore.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    dopey said:
    Focker said:
    Thanks, it really was.
    She's the hairstylist.
    Is she named Tiffany?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKWmFWRVLlU
    Definite Danger Zone.
    I was caught in a jet wash, while working two jobs through nursing school, had to hit the eject button, no regrets.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Nice post to start my Wednesday morning...
    Thanks Darian, good times for sure.

WeberWho said:
    Great looking time and the food looks delicious! Cool to see that you and the ex are civil with one another. Your son will appreciate that when looking back. 
    Thanks much V, I hope so.
    We can only try to lead, and teach, by example.

Only had to paint one back porch over the weekend..nephew was bullying a kid on the merry-go-round, smashed his water bottle while he was taking a drink, water hitting him in the face, kid started crying.

Yesterday my Dad had his old boots out, cleaning them up.  My brother and I got kicked square in the arse countless times with these, and they hurt like a SOB!

I learned quick, pre stupid tax days, about consequences for my stupid actions though. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Kayak said:
    Great memories for the kids. Good job. We should all be so open with each other. Maybe less arguments would ensue.
    Thanks much for the kind words.  That would be wonderful, but I highly doubt it, with this bunch, but it's all good.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Looks like a good time was had by all.  And yes, a sixer of 1zenuff will get you.
    Thanks guys.

@YEMTrey,
    That stuff is dangerous, it bit. Lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    @Focker - you and your ex are amazing. Teaching your kids the most important lesson in life; how to be a real adult!  Setting aside the past for the best of your kids and moving forward the best way possible in life!  Again, amazing....  Thank you for sharing!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • Focker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    da87 said:
    @Focker - you and your ex are amazing. Teaching your kids the most important lesson in life; how to be a real adult!  Setting aside the past for the best of your kids and moving forward the best way possible in life!  Again, amazing....  Thank you for sharing!
    Thank you so much, it's a group effort.

The little guy Hunter, has no grandpa, both of her husband's parents have been deceased, and her Dad passed before he was born from lung cancer.  My Dad has adopted him.  When we're out, and small talkin' with people you bump into as we do, people ask how many grandkids he has.  He chimes in proudly, 4.  Makes me smile every time.  We all go to his birthday parties, Christmas gifts, my Dad has a savings account for him, identical with the other three biological rascals.  

Life is far from perfect way out here, but our families are all on the same page.  Thanks again.  :)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    It's clear where you got it - like father like son!  Doesn't matter where you live, that's pure class!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    When I see all this it is like the only time I'm glad I'm 68 years old. Makes me feel better about my age .
  • Focker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    sctdg said:
    When I see all this it is like the only time I'm glad I'm 68 years old. Makes me feel better about my age .
    Getting old isn't for pu$$ies, that I do know.
    No way I'll be setting this highwall pup up, and lugging loaded Pelicans at 68, but I will have fond memories of doing this work though, hoping the boys do too. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Brandon, Thanks for this whole write up and the valuable lessons they told. I have known for a long while since first meeting you years ago that you are a class act! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    edited June 2017
    Options
    RRP said:
    Brandon, Thanks for this whole write up and the valuable lessons they told. I have known for a long while since first meeting you years ago that you are a class act! 
    Ron, thank you, but the credit belongs to my grandparents, and parents, I am only doing what I was taught.  No way, could I fill my old man's boots.   :)
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_uGcW-v5EI

I feel the same about you Ron, hoping to see you in Sterling soon.  ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Focker said:
    RRP said:
    Ron, thank you, but the credit belongs to my grandparents, and parents, I am only doing what I was taught.  No way, could I fill my old man's boots.   :)

Double or triple back at you buddy! Next month I turn 73 so I figured I better get my *ss in gear while I'm still a youngster so for the past two days I carried home over 1200 pounds of blocks, stone and steel liner from Menards. Worked my young butt off and with maybe an hour yet to go tomorrow I finally constructed a 45" diameter fire pit in my side yard. Only wanted to build one for 37 years here now...so I figured it best to get doing it.  =)
    unfortunately Sterling is out of the question this year and have already told Pete so. Getting ready for dental implants that week and I assume no one will being egging liquid soup for me to eat...hence no drive to Sterling! 
    Have fun, buddy! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    edited June 2017
    Options
    RRP said:
    Focker said:
    RRP said:

Double or triple back at you buddy! Next month I turn 73 so I figured I better get my *ss in gear while I'm still a youngster so for the past two days I carried home over 1200 pounds of blocks, stone and steel liner from Menards. Worked my young butt off and with maybe an hour yet to go tomorrow I finally constructed a 45" diameter fire pit in my side yard. Only wanted to build one for 37 years here now...so I figured it best to get doing it.  =)
    unfortunately Sterling is out of the question this year and have already told Pete so. Getting ready for dental implants that week and I assume no one will being egging liquid soup for me to eat...hence no drive to Sterling! 
    Have fun, buddy! 
    You remind me so much of my old man, climbing in his attic at 73, to sift through junk. Lol 

Have seen too many bad deals in the hospital, one lady was paralyzed from the neck down, working in her yard and falling down a ravine.

I will probably be the same way at 70 too. 
    You were smart, used your brain instead of your back for a successful career.
    Keep on keepin' on my friend, but please take it easy.  :)

My Dad had no teeth for 8 months, I would have no problem accomodating.  In all seriousness, hope the inplant procedure goes well. 

You and Pat enjoy the peaceful fire time. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities