Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Pool heater advice (considering a solar unit)

Recently found a severe hole straight through the shell of my (estimating 15 or so year old) 18' above ground pool. I purchased a new pool yesterday, to be installed late next month. 

A neighbour who was leaving the street several years ago gave me a 15KW Val Therm Model C Mechanical electric pool heater. I understand that it would likely cost me about $1200 CAD to have it wired into my panel by an electrician, and that daily operating costs will also be fairly significant. This being said, I'm not sure I want to have it installed.

As an alternative, I was thinking about a little solar unit in the $250-350 CAD range. I have a family member who employs one with good results. Given the small size of my pool, I would expect a solar heater to make a difference. They are also low maintenance and low cost.

My yard is not terribly spacious, so my preference would be to go with a small-footprint coil-style over the often 18-20' panel-style. 

Anyone with experience with solar heaters who can speak to any disparity in performance between the two styles I mention?

Comments

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    I have a small solar heater for our pool, and it works well.  The one we have is about 2 feet wide and 4 feet long and is "rated" to add 6-10 degrees up 20k gallons per day.  Not sure how that math works out but I can say that it actually works and we wouldn't be with out it.  When I get a chance I'll send a photo of the box and brand.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• ryantt said:
    I have a small solar heater for our pool, and it works well.  The one we have is about 2 feet wide and 4 feet long and is "rated" to add 6-10 degrees up 20k gallons per day.  Not sure how that math works out but I can say that it actually works and we wouldn't be with out it.  When I get a chance I'll send a photo of the box and brand.  
    @ryantt: Thanks for the input, friend. 

I am considering this one at present:
    https://www.lowes.ca/pool-heaters-thermometers/esse-enterprises-s202-solar-arc-2_g1831888.html
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    This is basically what we have, you'll be amazed at how well they work. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    We installed a heat pump 2 years ago and we love it.  It is a 50k BTU unit and our pool is the same size as yours.  I started it Saturday AM (water temp was 64F) and by the end of the day the water was at 80F.  The only drawback is that it makes a lot of noise.  It is currently installed on the deck but we plan on moving it to the other side of the pool because of the noise.

Waterco makes most of the models sold around here and different retailers have huge price differences for the same unit but branded differently.

From what I recall, the electrical connection (including a gfci beaker) was 700-800$.  I made all the plumbing connections.

It is 15c outside today and I just got out of the pool at 80F.  It extends the swimming season al lot.  SWMBO barely used the pool.  Now, she uses it several times a week. 

Costco.ca has a model similar to the one we have right now for 1700$.

We installed a heat pump 2 years ago and we love it.  It is a 50k BTU unit and our pool is the same size as yours.  I started it Saturday AM (water temp was 64F) and by the end of the day the water was at 80F.  The only drawback is that it makes a lot of noise.  It is currently installed on the deck but we plan on moving it to the other side of the pool because of the noise.

Waterco makes most of the models sold around here and different retailers have huge price differences for the same unit but branded differently.

From what I recall, the electrical connection (including a gfci beaker) was 700-800$.  I made all the plumbing connections.

It is 15c outside today and I just got out of the pool at 80F.  It extends the swimming season al lot.  SWMBO barely used the pool.  Now, she uses it several times a week. 

Costco.ca has a model similar to the one we have right now for 1700$.

Thanks @paqman.

Like I say, I have a heater. The big question for me is whether I install the one I have or simply put in a little solar one. Will have to think on it. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    Heat pumps are using far less electricity than a regular electric heater.  It is worth considering.  The solar one would not be enough for us.

We have a 15x30 and use Fafco solar panels. I found them in Craigslist. I believe they say you want solar panels to equal 50% of the surface area of your pool, we have about 100%. Last year on an 80*bright sunny day, the pool went from 74* to 86*. 
    Once you pay for the solar panel, the only other cost is running your pump. 
    BTW I am in Michigan.