Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mad Max Chicken Cook Gone Wrong

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried this cook since it sounded so tasty; however, I have encountered a problem. The breast is done (160), but the thighs are not yet there (150). What could have gone wrong. I used the roaster as prescribed. It wasn't a "high dollar" pan, so I put it on an aluminum roaster to keep the juices from burning. Could that have been the difference? Did I create a pan that handled the heat too well?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    rayl,
    could be that your breasts were getting hit with more radiant heat then the legs, leading to them getting done faster. .. i've been thinking that next time i do this, i might stick the birds in upside down (i.e. legs facing up), so that they get hit with more of the heat than the breasts . ..[p]actually, in one of his other books, pepin talks about setting his chickens on their side so that a leg/thigh is sticking up higher, then flipping it halfway through the cook so that the other leg is sticking up. . .either that or the upside down should help solve the problem. ...[p]how was it once it was done? ...

• EdF
    EdF Posts: 121
    Options
    I do the flipping thing (from "Art of French Cooking"). It works well to keep the bird evenly cooked, though it takes a bit more attention than some other methods.
  • mad max beyond eggdome,
    I had to take the leg quarters off of the chicken and place them back in the roaster to finish. All in all, the chicken was good, but I didn't get the crispy skin I was craving. However, the gravy/sauce turned out very good.[p]I think the idea of putting the chicken in upside down is a good one. The other would be to quarter the chicken and lay the pieces in the roaster. Not sure how well that would turn out though.[p]

[ul][li]http://-[/ul]