Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza fire

Options
i have XL BGE and have burned pizza crust!  Would it help to build fire in back of egg, and keep pizza stone towards front?

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I've never heard of anyone doing that. Tell us how you are doing pizza now. What components are in the egg, what spacers are you using for air gaps, how high up in the dome is your pie, what dough are you using, what dome temp? Someone will have an answer for you.

And, welcome to the forum! Where are you located?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Need more details, stated above. Then we can help you fine tune your set-up.

Welcome to the cult.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    i have XL BGE and have burned pizza crust!  Would it help to build fire in back of egg, and keep pizza stone towards front?

Direct answer to your question:  NO.  Your issue is elsewhere.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    If your pizza is burning, it's normally one of two reasons. Your crust is not made for high heat like the hand made stuff at a Pizzeria. Or your set up is not correct in your XL.

Third reason is cook time is too long.  Some people pay more attention to the top rather than the bottom when determining the proper cook time.  Dial in the cook time for the crust and then adjust stone height if the top/bottom heat balance is not correct.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @Photo Egg , I am intrigued by the black ring that your PS is sitting on, what is it & where can I get one?  
    XL  Central Ohio
  • FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 16
    Options
    @Photo Egg , I am intrigued by the black ring that your PS is sitting on, what is it & where can I get one?  
    Agreed!  What is the thing your PS is sitting on?  

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    @UncleBilly and @FatDog, It's a "Flip Ring".
    It was made by Tom at Ceramic Grill Store. It's kind of an upgrade over the original Woo for the XL but was phased out after Tom introduced the XL Adj Rig.
    It will raise and hold the BGE 24" grate at felt level or it can be "Flipped" over and it will raise a 22" cooking grid even a little higher. "Rumor" is, there might be a newer version in the works to take advantage of the newer taller dome of the XL. For pizzas on the XL, I use it help raise me higher in the dome.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    @UncleBilly and @FatDog, It's a "Flip Ring".
    It was made by Tom at Ceramic Grill Store. It's kind of an upgrade over the original Woo for the XL but was phased out after Tom introduced the XL Adj Rig.
    It will raise and hold the BGE 24" grate at felt level or it can be "Flipped" over and it will raise a 22" cooking grid even a little higher. "Rumor" is, there might be a newer version in the works to take advantage of the newer taller dome of the XL. For pizzas on the XL, I use it help raise me higher in the dome.

Man, does that look good.  Beautiful pics Darian.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."