Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Innovations From the Dark Side

Options
13»

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,376
    Options
    Focker said:
    So did Mr. Loafer go rogue from BGE or another ceramic grill company to form KJ?  

Seems like these folks have been around this scene with the design flaws they are quickly addressing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7sCb1B9hiQ
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Options
    I'm not rich or anywhere near rich. Been similar-retired the last 3 years. Or mostly unemployed. Or between contracts. It LOL depends on how you want to spin it...

all that hat to say I don't get the chance to be a snob very often and the 2 BGEs sitting on my patio are my one snobbish achievement.  Makes me feel life has meaning.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I'm not rich or anywhere near rich. Been similar-retired the last 3 years. Or mostly unemployed. Or between contracts. It LOL depends on how you want to spin it...

all that hat to say I don't get the chance to be a snob very often and the 2 BGEs sitting on my patio are my one snobbish achievement.  Makes me feel life has meaning.
    I would hope it's just being outside and relaxing and doing something you enjoy that makes you feel good. Not just the color of your grill. Nothing snobbish about buying a quality product. Buying an expensive product just to part of a click reminds me of grade school and not being able to afford  name brand clothes like the in crowd. You, raising 4 kids...I know you have made sacrifices, just like my parents did. You deserve to have a nice grill or 2 if that's what you enjoy.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2017
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Focker said:
    So did Mr. Loafer go rogue from BGE or another ceramic grill company to form KJ?  

Seems like these folks have been around this scene with the design flaws they are quickly addressing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7sCb1B9hiQ
    Thanks for sharing that Heavy, kind of puts it all together.  He's a smart egghead, love it!!!

BGE needs another mandatory meeting, watching this vid too.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    Two things have really surprised me. First that the "on the clock buffalo" let this thread survive 30 minutes or at least didn't even sink it! He has been far more lenient than shown on far lesser threads mentioning competition or even minor after market products! Secondly that the KJ owner was so adament about 2017 improvements being good but wait to see what we add for 2018! I mean if I were even considering buying a KJ I'd probably wait 7 more months! Or if I had to buy now and the dealer didn't have the new and improved 2017 model in stock then rest assured he better be giving me a deep discount on the 2016 or older models he hasn't moved yet! 
    Not stirring the pot, BUT I still wonder if other than to Darian if my opinion/observation might see at least twilight tonight let alone the light of day tomorrow!  B)
    I do agree with the statement about the year models. That's going to stiff some of the low volume dealers. It seems like they want to move to a big box sales model. 
    They don't just want to, they have. I saw the KJ at Lowes last weekend. 1299.99. The new Block charcoal or whatever it is called was 24.99/bag. I wonder if they are going to dissolve their small-volume model since they do roadshows and are moving downmarket(in everything but price) with selling at place like Lowes(I'm not being critical, but Kamados are a niche high-end product in the grill marketplace overall). It's kinda sad in a way. The dealer network is what helps make eggfests and get-togethers happen. I don't see someone walking into Lowes to make that happen.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,267
    Options
    Agree @Eggcelsior . Once you start selling big box, they own you. 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    Two things have really surprised me. First that the "on the clock buffalo" let this thread survive 30 minutes or at least didn't even sink it! He has been far more lenient than shown on far lesser threads mentioning competition or even minor after market products! Secondly that the KJ owner was so adament about 2017 improvements being good but wait to see what we add for 2018! I mean if I were even considering buying a KJ I'd probably wait 7 more months! Or if I had to buy now and the dealer didn't have the new and improved 2017 model in stock then rest assured he better be giving me a deep discount on the 2016 or older models he hasn't moved yet! 
    Not stirring the pot, BUT I still wonder if other than to Darian if my opinion/observation might see at least twilight tonight let alone the light of day tomorrow!  B)
    I do agree with the statement about the year models. That's going to stiff some of the low volume dealers. It seems like they want to move to a big box sales model. 
    They don't just want to, they have. I saw the KJ at Lowes last weekend. 1299.99. The new Block charcoal or whatever it is called was 24.99/bag. I wonder if they are going to dissolve their small-volume model since they do roadshows and are moving downmarket(in everything but price) with selling at place like Lowes(I'm not being critical, but Kamados are a niche high-end product in the grill marketplace overall). It's kinda sad in a way. The dealer network is what helps make eggfests and get-togethers happen. I don't see someone walking into Lowes to make that happen.
    Time will tell if the KJ will stay at the Lowe's stores. Our Lowe's does sell some of the high dollar Weber gas grills as well as off-set smokers.
    The move into Lowe's might just be a summer advertising ploy, similar to the BGE Eggs that mysteriously show up at Sam's Club and such. Who knows.
    I agree 100% about the Dealer network. Not for the Fests and such as KJ has shown little interest in doing this in the US. But for educating the customer so they do not start their cooking experience blind. But then again, there are MANY BGE dealers who know squat about cooking on the EGG but try and sell them. I'm lucky as my local dealer is now fantastic. Not to mention my BGE distributor, Paragon in Dallas...Those guys ROCK...
    My only gripe with KJ is their continued effort to flood the market with Road Shows and now Lowe's that kill the local dealers who can truly sell, educate and help their customers who buy KJ. I also know in the past, KJ dealers struggled to get product to stock in their stores as KJ backordered products but they were still selling full force at their Road Shows. I do like their products and their repair and replacement policy shipping direct to my front door. I even stopped in to visit their warehouse a couple years ago. Very nice people. I just have a big issue with the way they have treat their dealers. I still have one of my KJ Jr grills but have let my Classic and Big Joe go. Like @Eggcelsior said, a good Dealer is invaluable. I know I can always stop in any get help. When they do help I always try and buy something, even if it's only a bottle of spice. I have also dropped them some things to try like Rockwood, and a couple weeks ago a bottle of DP Mole Rub. They are a Dizzy dealer but did not know about the Mole.
    It's great that this post has remained and for the most part has been VERY informative and civil. Enough rambling for now.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • PirateBill
    PirateBill Posts: 259
    Options
    all these inovations are nice.  if bge just put a bottle opener on the band the comp would be toast ;)

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,171
    Options
    Flint, Michigan
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,373
    Options
    That guy redeemed himself in the second video.    I couldn't imagine leaving a successful corporate job to start a brand new company in what seemed to be a highly penetrated market.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,536
    Options
    @thetrim I love my two KJ's a classic and a joe jr (jr really belongs to my daughter). I honestly have been thinking about selling my egg to get a big joe as well.  I actually appreciate their customer service and having talked with Bobby a few times, he knows the product.   He understands the joy of cooking and all the other things that come long with it.  

Now before people go crazy on me, Bruce from BGE has been awesome when I talked with him.  He pointed me in he right direction and helped me resolve some issues from a lack of service by a dealer.   
    For the most part my BGE experience is good, but this community is the best part about the egg.  

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Thomasc18
    Thomasc18 Posts: 197
    Options
    Looks interesting. I'd like to see what they have planned for next year 
    Madison, AL
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,373
    Options
    I think it's cool when KJ folks get on here!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    @SaintJohnsEgger I too take pride in my egg, and like you don't splurge often
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    https://youtu.be/WemFcE_O9AY

BGE do something 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

That's a little embarrasing

Phoenix 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,688
    Options
    blasting said:

Since the video, the large comes with a new hinge, new box, and 3" thermometer.

Guess their dealer charges for assembly.....we don't.  And I still don't get the "it call comes in together" ploy.  Whatever.  What if you don't need the nest and mates?  It all adds up to the same price--those parts aren't free.  Five $20s or all in one $100 bill.....who cares, it spends the same.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,376
    Options
    blasting said:

Guess their dealer charges for assembly.....we don't.  And I still don't get the "it call comes in together" ploy.  Whatever.  What if you don't need the nest and mates?  It all adds up to the same price--those parts aren't free.  Five $20s or all in one $100 bill.....who cares, it spends the same.

Kamado Joe does sell their 2 larger models in a standalone version that does not include the stand/side tables. They sell for a couple hundred bucks less.

Until 2017 the standalone versions were priced the same but they came with all shiny stainless steel hardware (including the top vent). Looked really sharp.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    blasting said:

Kamado Joe does sell their 2 larger models in a standalone version that does not include the stand/side tables. They sell for a couple hundred bucks less.

Until 2017 the standalone versions were priced the same but they came with all shiny stainless steel hardware (including the top vent). Looked really sharp.

I know......that's what makes the "all in the same box" argument invalid.  So "we include everything", except if you don't want it, then it's discounted a couple hundred bucks.  How much is a BGE nest, mates, an ash tool, and a grill gripper?  A couple hundred bucks.

I bought a four post lift for our warehouse some time ago.  It had "free shipping".  I called the place up and said how much if one of our carriers to pick it up......they said pickup price was $350 less.  Guess it's not exactly "free shipping" then, right?  Same thing here, it's all advertising.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

I would hope it's just being outside and relaxing and doing something you enjoy that makes you feel good. Not just the color of your grill. Nothing snobbish about buying a quality product. Buying an expensive product just to part of a click reminds me of grade school and not being able to afford  name brand clothes like the in crowd. You, raising 4 kids...I know you have made sacrifices, just like my parents did. You deserve to have a nice grill or 2 if that's what you enjoy.
    Thanks @Photo Egg

I love just sitting outside and enjoying this time of year in Florida. I've sacrificed over the years and still have to; I've got two daughters that will be going through med school. My family comes first but my eggs are my most prized possession. I'm willing to drive older cars and skimp in other areas for my eggs. And while I don't rub it in other people's faces, I do take pride in owning my eggs and I love to talk about them any chance I get.
    Your a good man Charlie Brown...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    thetrim said:
    That guy redeemed himself in the second video.    I couldn't imagine leaving a successful corporate job to start a brand new company in what seemed to be a highly penetrated market.  

Not to take anything away from him, but that's how a lot of new companies are started.  Somebody that is bored in their job, has the money, and as willing to take the plunge to escape.  The dream job I wanted from grade school to grad school was to be an air ambulance pilot (helicopter).  I got the job at age 22, but after 10+ yrs, the schedule, risk, stress, etc was too much to handle with four young kids.  I walked away from a six figure career and hundred of thousands of dollars worth training, to be a stay at home dad and grow my fledgling charcoal company.  Best thing I ever did.
    I would love to hear more.   I am one a similar path, not the charcoal part.  
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    bigbadben said:
    thetrim said:

Not to take anything away from him, but that's how a lot of new companies are started.  Somebody that is bored in their job, has the money, and as willing to take the plunge to escape.  The dream job I wanted from grade school to grad school was to be an air ambulance pilot (helicopter).  I got the job at age 22, but after 10+ yrs, the schedule, risk, stress, etc was too much to handle with four young kids.  I walked away from a six figure career and hundred of thousands of dollars worth training, to be a stay at home dad and grow my fledgling charcoal company.  Best thing I ever did.
    I would love to hear more.   I am one a similar path, not the charcoal part.  

Sure, send me an email......address is on the profile page.