Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help on Indirect with CGS Setup

Using the CGS ring with the 17.5” stone, would the photo be the setup for indirect cooking? Does it leave too big a gap around the edge? I didn’t get the placesetter (or whatever it’s called now) planning to use the stone and ring for indirect cooking, but wonder if the gap is too large. I plan to cook three racks of baby backs this weekend and was going to use the 2-2-1 method over indirect heat. Should I go ahead and buy the placesetter?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Rick

Comments

• HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Your good to go - I use this same setup with my CGS rig
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    works, just put a piece of foil over the top of the stone......

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    All set gap is fine
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Only real gap differences with the PS are where the legs go all that way to the fire ring. The gap on most of the plate setter is about the same as you have here.

I have that setup for my large and my MM.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    All good advice above.  Smart move to buy the CGS after-market toys.  Definitely don't acquire the platesetter.  No value-add and a waste of $$.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • skroll116
    skroll116 Posts: 7
    You should be fine as others have mentioned.  I use the spider and round stone as you have shown when doing something that can sit more in the center of the Egg, but switch to the CGS Adjustable Rig and oval stone when doing racks of ribs.  I feel it protects the ends a little better and is also easier to drop in additional wood chunks during the cook if needed.
  • RickLRMS
    RickLRMS Posts: 12
    Thanks for all the replies.Will give it a try this way, see how they work. I will likely try some other ways at later dates, always enjoy eatable experiments. I do have the adjustable rig, but not the oval stone. Next time I do ribs, I'll probably move to six racks of ribs at once and use the adjustable rig. I used to do six at a time on my Weber SM, but had to roll them up and stand them on end. Then, if six work, may try nine racks at a time -- but that may be pushing the XL. :)

Rick
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Only 9? =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    The Chef Wil 20 rack thing was apparently legit. Done years before my time here, but here is a thread about it... http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/819570/20-racks-at-one-time
    Click the links within in the thread too for more info.

Chef Wil is showing up as "Unknown" username. Back in the day, you could post without logging in, or even being a member.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q said: Back in the day, you could post without logging in, or even being a member.
    Wow that's crazy. Imagine how fun Friday nights would be if you didn't need to be a member to post here. 
    Snellville, GA

• RickLRMS
    RickLRMS Posts: 12
    Thanks for the photo and link, Carolina Q. I guess nine shouldn't even be a challenge.