Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much weight can a platesetter support?

Options
I have an XL and want to put my 25lb pork shoulder on the PS vs on the grill resting on the PS because of room considerations. Is this a risky move having this much weight on the centre of the PS vs on the outside legs?

Thanks!

Comments

• etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
    I wouldn't do it. I've had a platesetter  crack just by dropping it on the grass from a height of 3 inches. Let go of it a little early when setting it down. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
    tamu2009 said:
    Not sure, but i'd be concerned with getting the direct heat from the patesetter on the the shoulder opposed to more indirect from the air gap between the setter and whatever else it sits on.
    Agree
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    Options
    etherdome said:
    tamu2009 said:
    Not sure, but i'd be concerned with getting the direct heat from the patesetter on the the shoulder opposed to more indirect from the air gap between the setter and whatever else it sits on.
    Agree
    Agree
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    Options
    etherdome said:
    tamu2009 said:
    Agree
    Agree
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • vern1
    vern1 Posts: 29
    Options
    I had my 1st PS for 8 years but always had a grill on it vs setting stuff directly on the PS. The old one cracked when my dog knocked it over on the deck. The problem is the new PS's have longer legs so the grill sits a good 2" higher which is a lot when you are cooking something that is 25 lbs. Hence my dilemma.

If I put it on the grill I would still use some spacers both under the tray and in the tray so direct heat from the PS would not be hitting the shoulder. I just don't want to crack a brand new $100+ PS!! The change in design is not good in my opinion but that's a different story I guess
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    etherdome said:
    tamu2009 said:
    Agree
    Agree
    We heard you the first time.  ;)

Agree with the others. Sounds like you'd end up with a good hard sear on that butt via this approach (and not in a good way). 
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    I mainly deal with metal parts at work, but based on the thickness of the one from my large and a 25lb load in the middle of ceramic a quick hand analysis is outside of what I would consider an acceptable margin for a part.  so in my opinion don't.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    @Kent8621

What do you do? 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Kent8621
    edited May 2017
    Options

@kl8ton

aerospace engineering contractor.  I guess this is where I get to have a little brag, my promotion to Engineering Lead just became official Monday, still getting used to that. 

Boiler Up!!

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I agree with others that the main concern is you don't want it sitting directly on the plate setter because of the conductive heat that will brown the side in contact. You need some kind of rack and spacers sitting above the plate setter. 

I don't think you should have any issue fitting a 25 lb shoulder on the XL in a normal configuration.  You could fit that on a large egg with no problem. Unless I am missing something and it is an odd shaped shoulder. 

Do you happen to have a pic of the shoulder?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    vern1 said:
    I had my 1st PS for 8 years but always had a grill on it vs setting stuff directly on the PS. The old one cracked when my dog knocked it over on the deck. The problem is the new PS's have longer legs so the grill sits a good 2" higher which is a lot when you are cooking something that is 25 lbs. Hence my dilemma.

If I put it on the grill I would still use some spacers both under the tray and in the tray so direct heat from the PS would not be hitting the shoulder. I just don't want to crack a brand new $100+ PS!! The change in design is not good in my opinion but that's a different story I guess
    Ahhh...I missed this comment before I posted. It sounds like you have an older XL that had the squatty dome. They used to make a squatty plate setter. They redesigned the XL and plate setter so now you have a normal plate setter with a squatty dome. 

I think you should be fine with some kind of rack and spacers to distribute the load. 

I would look really hard for any cracks in your dome and get it replaced under warranty :smiley:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• vern1
    Options
    Kent8621 said:
    I mainly deal with metal parts at work, but based on the thickness of the one from my large and a 25lb load in the middle of ceramic a quick hand analysis is outside of what I would consider an acceptable margin for a part.  so in my opinion don't.

Whats a quick hand analysis mean?? Seriously
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    vern1 said:
    Kent8621 said:

It means he didn't run a computer simulation.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Kent8621
    Options

what he said.  grab the material properties to plug in a basic equation for load and guessed on the size of the butt. I have a large egg so I assumed the same ratio of size for mine to the size of an XL.   typically in this world we have a CAD model to run some simulations on and software but in new design we do a lot of hand calcs for basic loads to give design a starting point of material thickness.  once they design the part we can run it through the gauntlet and predict the failure and if we are ok with that point it moves along.  it is a lot of fun. 

For instance, a few years ago ford (i think) led the way with a new car frame design that has a section the has a "wave" in part of the frame.  with that design than can make the frame fail at that point and better control the front end collision of a car.  by doing that they increased the chance of living through a head on crash at 55mph significantly. 

Boiler Up!!

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Is it too late to agree?  Should I just concur instead?
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    vern1 said:
    Kent8621 said:

It means he's gonna go blind. 

Little Rock, AR

• vern1
    Options
    vern1 said:

Ahhh...I missed this comment before I posted. It sounds like you have an older XL that had the squatty dome. They used to make a squatty plate setter. They redesigned the XL and plate setter so now you have a normal plate setter with a squatty dome. 

I think you should be fine with some kind of rack and spacers to distribute the load. 

I would look really hard for any cracks in your dome and get it replaced under warranty :smiley:
    Yes an older model. I like the idea about checkin for cracks!

I have a v-rack that could work and its legs would rest with one side near the base of the PS and then stretch across to the other side. Just concerned about having the 25lb load centred in the middle

• vern1
    Options
    vern1 said:
    Kent8621 said:

It means he's gonna go blind. 

That's what I figured :o

Still not sure what to do. With my old flat dome and higher plate setter, it presents a problem for bigger cooks

Cheers
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I'm just surprised that this many comments were made about a "platesetter" versus that stupid rename of Conveggtor! Maybe there is hope for future eggers after all!  =);)B)  
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited May 2017
    Options
    vern1 said:
    I have an XL and want to put my 25lb pork shoulder on the PS vs on the grill resting on the PS because of room considerations. Is this a risky move having this much weight on the centre of the PS vs on the outside legs?

Thanks!
    The plate setter will easily support the weight, but..................

The XL should comfortably accommodate a huge shoulder on the grate. You will need the convective circulation to properly cook the butt. You will not get this resting the butt on the plate setter - the plate setter gets VERY hot even on low and slows and will burn whatever is in contact with it. 

You can cut the butt in half and cook on the grate if you need the space. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I've done my mad max turkeys on the large on top of the platesetter with four crushed beer cans creating an air gap.  Haven't done something similar in the XL yet.  I do have a similar issue with an older style XL with the shallow dome and the new longer legged PS
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    edited May 2017
    Options
    My platesetter handled this brisket flat and boston baked beans in a huge dutch oven! That CI DO has legs that allow an air gap underneath.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Can anyone speak to a proper CGS set up for the old style shallow dome on the old XL?    Should I just reach out to CGS and report back?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • vern1
    Options
    vern1 said:

Thanks!
    The plate setter will easily support the weight, but..................

The XL should comfortably accommodate a huge shoulder on the grate. You will need the convective circulation to properly cook the butt. You will not get this resting the butt on the plate setter - the plate setter gets VERY hot even on low and slows and will burn whatever is in contact with it. 

You can cut the butt in half and cook on the grate if you need the space. 

as mentioned before I will NOT put the butt on the PS. Will make sure there is proper circulation. thanks
  • vern1
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I've done my mad max turkeys on the large on top of the platesetter with four crushed beer cans creating an air gap.  Haven't done something similar in the XL yet.  I do have a similar issue with an older style XL with the shallow dome and the new longer legged PS

Now that's a good idea. And I have lots of beer cans to make the support!

Thanks!

Since they changed the PS then they should offer us guys with the old model the new bigger dome...