Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: The Company Store Comforters

Options
Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited April 2017 in Off Topic
Figured with mattress threads coming up here on occasion, always thought the hardest part was finding a good comforter.  My last Polo RL comforter was ok, bunched at the ends, Polo RL duvet buttons had to be resewn on, it would sh!t feathers on occasion.  And both weren't cheap.

Sheets aren't so bad to find, pick a color and thread count in your range.  

A good comforter is pretty damn hard to find.  The customer reviews are all over the place.  The in store selection was terrible around here.

A best bud led me to a place up the road in LaCrosse, WI..The Company Store.

Made there in LaCrosse, hypoallergenic, 12" box sewn construction to prevent bunching, smooth, nice navy sheen.

I'm sure some are fine with piled dirty clothes, pizza boxes, and a used Japanese collectible futon, but this comforter is top notch.

Went with medium down fill for all seasons here in IL.  
They have a family and friends 20% off promo this month. 
http://www.thecompanystore.com/comforters

It is true, bears do sh!t in the woods, and hug "Nemo" and "Worldy" pillows.  =)

Not affiliated with TCS in any way, but wanted to spotlight a great Made in the US of A product.

As always, thanks fer lookin'.

Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

For a bachelor, I'm impressed with how put together all your house shots are.  (Mine ... well, it doesnt look like yours  - always a project going)  

Phoenix 
  • Focker
    edited April 2017
    Options
    blasting said:

For a bachelor, I'm impressed with how put together all your house shots are.  (Mine ... well, it doesnt look like yours  - always a project going)  

Thanks bud, as you know, there are always projects. 

I'm pretty high maintenance.  A few pharmacists at work refer to me as "Brandi" Lmao

Buddy has given me a sweet brand new rectangular orange glasslike sink, with waterfall faucet to come out of the wall.  Shouldn't be hard finding cool tile to match, and building a box to put it on, and a medicine cabinet into the wall.  Looking forward to pulling the bathtub and going with a custom piece of fixed glass instead of a slider shower door....full tile all around.  Love the waterfall faucets and knobs being higher up the wall, easier on the ol' back.  Always a joy, breathing custom and unique life into things around the house.

Steel roof is coming soon.  Bathroom won't be until beginning of 2018, but I have a vision.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    Focker said:
    blasting said:

I'm pretty high maintenance.  A few pharmacists at work refer to me as "Brandi" Lmao

Buddy has given me a sweet brand new rectangular orange glasslike sink, with waterfall faucet to come out of the wall.  Shouldn't be hard finding cool tile to match, and building a box to put it on, and a medicine cabinet into the wall.  Looking forward to pulling the bathtub and going with a custom piece of fixed glass instead of a slider shower door....full tile all around.  Love the waterfall faucets and knobs being higher up the wall, easier on the ol' back.  Always a joy, breathing custom and unique life into things around the house.

Steel roof is coming soon.  Bathroom won't be until beginning of 2018, but I have a vision.  

@Focker Is it more/less expensive than traditional shingles? I'd love to do a steel roof in the future 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Focker
    edited April 2017
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Focker said:
    blasting said:

@Focker Is it more/less expensive than traditional shingles? I'd love to do a steel roof in the future 
    More V
    There are a couple of grades.

The nicest one, standing seam, wasn't even an option with my home and price, over 3x the cost of asphalt.

AG panels are what I went with, $2500 more than asphalt.  So 40% more roughly.

Midwest Roofing has their own steel, they coat with Valspar(former employer based out of your neck of the woods).  Hope to get 50 years out of it.  

BTW, "My Pillows" were from up your way too, absolutely love all four, the smalls are perfect for the camper.  B)

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    +1 - they make great products
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    Focker said:
    WeberWho said:
    Focker said:
    blasting said:

More V

The nicest one, standing seam, wasn't even an option with my home and price, over 3x the cost of asphalt.

Midwest Roofing has their own steel, they coat with Valspar(former employer based out of your neck of the woods.  Hope to get 50 years out of it.  

BTW, "My Pillows" were from up your way too, absolutely love all four, the smalls are perfect for the camper.  B)

at 3x the asphalt did the standing seam come with extras, i had a quote last fall and at about 3x they included r38 board insulation between the roof and standing seam, and 4 good sized vent/ roof windows roughed in. i think the windows were 2x6 feet big. pushing my luck =) the 20 year asphalt must be 45 years old now, chunks all over the yard and its not leaking
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options

If you like nice things try a set of Silk sheets to go with that comforter !

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Focker
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Focker said:
    WeberWho said:
    Focker said:
    blasting said:

More V

Midwest Roofing has their own steel, they coat with Valspar(former employer based out of your neck of the woods.  Hope to get 50 years out of it.  

at 3x the asphalt did the standing seam come with extras, i had a quote last fall and at about 3x they included r38 board insulation between the roof and standing seam, and 4 good sized vent/ roof windows roughed in. i think the windows were 2x6 feet big. pushing my luck =) the 20 year asphalt must be 45 years old now, chunks all over the yard and its not leaking
    Glad yours is holding up fish.

Found that mine leaked during the kitchen refresh.  A $3K DIY turned into $11K real quick.  I would let her go if it weren't for water coming down the range hood exhaust.  Not worth patching at this point.  Roof is probably 20 years, good life for asphalt in IL.

This guy at Midwest, Doug, doesn't Fock around....they're top tier roofers in our region IA IL WI.  It did not include anything extra.  But if I sold, which I don't plan to, I would not see any return.  Just too much $$$ for my little house on the prairie.

Know several family members who have done business with them, all speak very highly.

Saw a few bad deals by fly-by-nighter sh!t job contractors when I worked in the lumberyard....even bringing some to tears during quotes to have things redone.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options

If you like nice things try a set of Silk sheets to go with that comforter !

I saw some fancy Spandex blend sheets at BBB, went with a plain jane 650 Egyptian cotton for now, couldn't beat the sale price.

How much is silk?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Focker said:
    WeberWho said:
    Focker said:
    blasting said:

More V

Fish, when talking with him and asking many questions about install and whether or not they reinforce with any type of framing system underneath, with any material, he mentioned the strongest, most durable bond, is screwing the fasteners directly into good OSB.  Not sure I would want a layer of foam board between the steel and OSB?  And any extra holes roughed in are potential problems down the road.  Looking forward to going with a cleaner looking and better functioning ridge type vent vs the older, scattered, box vents.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @fishlessman,

Second standing seam bid came in today.
    1800 sq ft, tear off of one layer of asphalt.

$25,000

No foamboard or windows.
    I'm sure you could tack another grand or two on it when said and done.

$8000 for asphalt from them.  
    Pretty much in line, with the first.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    Focker said:
    @fishlessman,

$25,000

No foamboard or windows.

just dug out my last quote to compare. must be alot to do with location, maybe materials, mines only 1300 sqft roof area. this was also from last april 2016. my roof has just one penetration  and a chimney, standard cape, a window front and back but none on the roof

two layers asphalt removed
    underlayment installed
    standing seam drexel metals 24 ga. galvalume 18 inch wide x 1.75 high
    hidden fasteners including drip and gable fascia, ridge caps, valley and counter flashing
    construction debris and clean premise
    35 year finish warranty
     lifetime installation and workmanship guarantee

13,000 dollars

add ons

r18.5 insulation beneath metal   4550 dollars
    r 37 insulation below metal 7150 dollars
    4 velux manual skylights (no interior work)5900 dollars

not sure what i want to do with the insulation, putting two bedrooms and a bath up there and the one front and one back window isnt enough. this quote also covered 2 tiny roofs over the two doors. inside is open studs so might insulate that instead as i go along and skip the outer insulation
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Focker
    Options
    Focker said:
    @fishlessman,

$25,000

No foamboard or windows.

just dug out my last quote to compare. must be alot to do with location, maybe materials, mines only 1300 sqft roof area. this was also from last april 2016. my roof has just one penetration  and a chimney, standard cape, a window front and back but none on the roof

two layers asphalt removed
    underlayment installed
    standing seam drexel metals 24 ga. galvalume 18 inch wide x 1.75 high
    hidden fasteners including drip and gable fascia, ridge caps, valley and counter flashing
    construction debris and clean premise
    35 year finish warranty
     lifetime installation and workmanship guarantee

13,000 dollars

add ons

r18.5 insulation beneath metal   4550 dollars
    r 37 insulation below metal 7150 dollars
    4 velux manual skylights (no interior work)5900 dollars

not sure what i want to do with the insulation, putting two bedrooms and a bath up there and the one front and one back window isnt enough. this quote also covered 2 tiny roofs over the two doors. inside is open studs so might insulate that instead as i go along and skip the outer insulation
    Seems like a solid plan. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities