Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's your go-to rub?

Options

Comments

• SurfingEgg321
    Options
    Hardcore carnivore black for steak
    lanes sweet heat for chicken
    pork u rib rub for ribs

• Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    Dizzy Pig:
      Burgers — Red Eye Express
      Salmon — Raging River
      Tuna — Shaking the Tree
      Ribs — Dizzy Dust
      Chicken — Molé
      Steak — Just salt and pepper 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Like others, I use a bunch of things, but a couple that I use regularly that I haven't seen mentioned in the thread:

Rub Company Santa Maria - Good on pretty much anything, although I haven't used it on big traditional bbq meats.  I have used it, with much success, on pork chops, pork tenderloin, chicken breasts, chicken thighs, turkey breast, flank steak, and tri tip.

John Henry Greek Rub - Again, very versatile, I've used it the pork and poultry above, and I've used on lamb chops.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    It's My Rub, Power Blend and Smooth Blend from @EggObsessed and @NoJokeSmoke (Kelley and Bruce)
    I use these like salt and pepper!!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Chicken-  Dizzy Dust
    Beef - Montreal 
    Butts - Bad Byron and John Henry Carolina rub
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Anything Pig:

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options

Wife would eat a shoe sole with raging river. I'm meh on it. 

Mine is the same way...lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    Steak is Carne Crosta. Period. Until I run out, then I might try something else.
    Everything else I experiment with...
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Brisket is my homemade rub - i keep wanting to try a new one but my wife and friends keep saying "Dont even think about it"
    Ingredients
    2 Cups brown sugar
    1 TBSP Kosher Salt
    2 TBSP Paprika
    2 TBSP Chili powder
    2 TBSP Cayenne Pepper
    2 TBSP Garlic Powder
    2 TBSP Cocoa powder
    1 TBSP Coffee
    1 TBSP Cumin
    Worcestershire sauce - Just a little

Chicken - still searching for a "go-to" winner. Been trying a bunch of different ones but this one I found online is pretty good when i make it. 
    Ingredients
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1 tablespoon garlic salt
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1/4 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
    1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
    4 tablespoons brown sugar

Pork - bad byrons butt rub gets the nod most of the time. 
    Image result for bad byrons butt rub
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Anything Poultry: 
    @Mickey Coffee Rub

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I participate in the annual run exchange. I have discovered several rubs that I have ordered and use on select things. I have a cabinet and tailegateing kitchen full of all kinds of stuf. It's all good.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Here's the list that got all of this started. 

Burgers - Chaisson's Rub It ( Thanks for bringing me some @nolaegghead )
    Steaks - Oakridge Santa Maria and Carne Crosta
    Brisket - Sams BBQ 1 Cow Dust (local) 
    Pork (except chops)- Sams BBQ 1 Pig Dust 
    Chops - Cookies Flavor Enhancer (shout out to @Brisket_Fanatic
    Yardbird with skin- Mickeys Rub. 
    Yardbird sans skin - Szeged 
    Salmon - Raging River 

I'm purging a lot of the stuff I only used once or twice. At nearly $10 a bottle these days, I'm tired of wasting money on rubs when I already have the ones I like and use. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Lately this has been my go to for pork and chicken since it is less than $6 for 15 oz at Sams and it is pretty solid. 
    Weber Kansas City BBQ Rub 15 oz

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• F3DAWG
    F3DAWG Posts: 98
    Options

I have two, Cimarron Doc’s Sweet Rib Rub and Montreal Steak Seasoning

Summerville, SC
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    @TN_Sister_State for your brisket rub do you use regular coffee? Or Instant? If regular is it a regular grind or something fine? Thanks.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • TN_Sister_State
    Options
    EggMcMic said:
    @TN_Sister_State for your brisket rub do you use regular coffee? Or Instant? If regular is it a regular grind or something fine? Thanks.
    @EggMcMic - Honestly i use whatever the wife has in the pantry. Lately its been pike place starbucks regular grind. I have cut open a k-cup in a pinch. Im sure people will comment on the lack of salt for a brisket but i dry brine all my briskets for 24 hours so the extra salt in the rub doesnt need to be much. Just food for thought on that. If you dont brine it or add a layer of salt under the rub you will taste a lacking for sure and its not as good. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options

I like to try different rubs most of the time.  But my go to on baby backs is Meat Church Honey Hog and Honey Hog Hot then sauced with Blues Hog Tennessee Mountain.  That’s the perfect rib combination for me and I don’t see it changing for a while!

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    brisket:  top secret proprietary blend of salt and pepper....

Pork ribs and shoulder: Rendezvous dry rub.

Chicken: lemon pepper seasoning from weber....
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Holy Cow is my #1, scoop it on everything.

Biting into a clump takes you to a special, special, place.
    Honorable mention goes to...
    Plowboys for the spit birds, pork.
    Secret Weapon for pork.
    Game On, Black Ops for beef and bambi.
    Pineapple Head for pineapple, popcorn, and pork.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I have tote boxes, cupboards, cardboard boxes and a closet full of rubs and sauces. I experiment on some proteins. I'm partial to Meat Church, Lanes, SuckleBusters, PorkU and a local place "The Garden Produce" that makes small batch spices/rubs that typically only distribute to restaurants. Never tried ANY DP product & no real interest to do so...I'm like a pink unicorn in the egging world.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • PirateBill
    PirateBill Posts: 259
    Options

Have not really experimented that much.

So far I like Hardcore Carnivore Black/Red and just got Swamp Venom my wife and I love it.

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• BrookieP
    BrookieP Posts: 135
    Options
    I think most people have covered the essentials, but I'll give my opinion anyways.
    For steak - Meat Church Holy Cow or Hardcore Carnivore Black
    Salmon: Dizzy Pig Raging River
    Ribs: Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust
    Chicken: Any of the -ish flavors by Dizzy Pig, anything by Lanes BBQ (and of course Yard Bird)
    Pork Chops: Anything by Lanes BBQ, Meat Church Honey Hog or Deez Nuts
    XL BGE & 36" Blackstone
    Instagram: BGEBrooke
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    These are the go to rubs:

Pork - Fat Boys RUB
    Chicken - John Henry's Texas Chicken Tickler
    Salmon - Dizzy Pig Raging River
    Beef - Dizzy Pig Cow Lick/ Meat Church Holy Cow
    Steaks - Dizzy Pig Raising the Steaks or Holy Cow

I do experiment with a lot of different rubs though, too many to list....

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • camofreak
    camofreak Posts: 161
    Options
    This right here is the stuff...

Green Eggin' in South Carolina
    Go Gamecocks!!!
  • camofreak
    camofreak Posts: 161
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    My favorite go-to lately for pork and chicken has been Willie's Hog Dust outta Sumter, SC. Good stuff. I found it at the Bilo in Chapin, SC. Looks like they've made it pretty big lately though and offer numerous products. All I've tried is their rub though. 
    I think I may give that one a try since it's kind of local to me. What is Bi-Lo charging for it? 
    Green Eggin' in South Carolina
    Go Gamecocks!!!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    camofreak said:
    Dyal_SC said:
    My favorite go-to lately for pork and chicken has been Willie's Hog Dust outta Sumter, SC. Good stuff. I found it at the Bilo in Chapin, SC. Looks like they've made it pretty big lately though and offer numerous products. All I've tried is their rub though. 
    I think I may give that one a try since it's kind of local to me. What is Bi-Lo charging for it? 
    I have used this some in the past. Their rub is good....but I don't like their Bloody Mary mix. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I have tote boxes, cupboards, cardboard boxes and a closet full of rubs and sauces. I experiment on some proteins. I'm partial to Meat Church, Lanes, SuckleBusters, PorkU and a local place "The Garden Produce" that makes small batch spices/rubs that typically only distribute to restaurants. Never tried ANY DP product & no real interest to do so...I'm like a pink unicorn in the egging world.

I have a super secret reason for using DP rubs preferentially over other brands... It's what I was gifted by the family. They like it and keep buying it for me. I haven't tried other rubs because I have DP in the pantry and the family likes it. It's kind of a feedback loop with no escape. I may need to do the rub & sauce exchange this year to introduce an alternative to the fam...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I really don't have one.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    camofreak said:
    Dyal_SC said:
    Can't remember exactly. Maybe 4 or 5 bucks?It makes for a tasty bark on pulled pork and ribs. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    edited April 2017
    Options
    28 rubs didn't get a rose at the ceremony this afternoon and were tossed. I can't believe the space I have now.