Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another failed 2-2-1 attempt...pls help!

Options
2»

Comments

• sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    Try St Louis ribs, lot easier to work with ,more meat on the bone . More forgiving to how they are cooked and taste real good too.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    edited April 2017
    Options
    one thing i did not see mentioned was meat side down during the foil stage so they braise in the liquid. agree with raising the temps
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    The first few times I did ribs on my LBGE, it seemed to take way too long too. Once I got a handle on the difference between dome temp and grille temp things changed rapidly. I use a dome temp of 275 to 300. 275 for the first three hours on the smoke followed by 300 for an hour in foil with a little liquid (apple juice and BBQ sauce). Then they come out of the foil for an hour on the grille at 300 or so to glaze the sauce in place. They are usually overdone, but in a good way. I just slide the bones out and eat the ribs with a fork.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    as teefus mentioned, 300 at the foil stage is good, with an indirect setup they dont braise/simmer properly until you reach about 300 degrees. same with simmering in a dutch oven
    fukahwee maine

• Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Options
    Ok Thanks. I was worried that meat side down while In the foil would wash the rub off. I'll try this next time. Great advice
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Gym said:
    I'm using flame boss. Currently set at 250. Dome thermo says 250 also
    I could be wrong but my experience says that one of these readings is not correct.  Usually my grate temp is about 30-50 degrees hotter indirect than the dome temp.  Might be something to look into...
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    Gym said:
    I'm using flame boss. Currently set at 250. Dome thermo says 250 also
    I could be wrong but my experience says that one of these readings is not correct.  Usually my grate temp is about 30-50 degrees hotter indirect than the dome temp.  Might be something to look into...

That all depends on what time of the cook you are , early dome will run hotter than the grate, later they equalize out. Not sure why you would read a hotter temp at your grate than the dome (heat rises)!

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    A late comment, but maybe useful going forward.

There isn't much of any reason to foil meat in an Egg.

1st, the Egg's moisture retention keeps the meat moist. Unlike metal cookers, the moisture isn't drawn away to the cooker's wall. Little chance of dessication.

2nd, the base reason to foil is to put a "sweat suit" on the meat to speed the cooking. But the reason the higher temp turbo cooks work is that they do the same thing. The down side of foiling is that as long as the fluid is in the packet, and it should be there if well sealed, the cooking time will not improve much compared to cooking at a higher dry temp. There will be a little water vapor above 212F in the packet, but not much. At that temp, the Maillard flavor compound formation is reduced.

3rd. The food has been removed from the smoke, which is at least as important to the final flavor as the rub. One gets 3 hours of smoke, not 5.

Finally, if you want apple flavor, why not mix some apple sauce w. your sauce, if you are saucing. Or, why not dab some concentrated juice on towards the end, just enough to moisten the surface, but not was off the smoke and rub?

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I gave up on using foil for BB and Spare ribs. Just cook the BB using Car Wash Mikes approach. For Spare Ribs which I prefer. cooking at 275 dome renders the fat better and the ribs are done in 4 1/2 to 5 hrs. I just spritz every hour or so with apple juice and cider mix. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i would say theres more here that stopped foiling and now just cook them til done, i stopped foiling along time ago, foiling can be tricky. one rack foiled for 2 hours might be perfect, the next mush. you need to check them at the hour mark and then every 15 to 20 minutes while foiled. try them different ways, some like ribs falling apart and sticky with sugars, others with some bite either sauced or just the rub
    fukahwee maine