Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking for 35 on the XL

Options
I was volunteered to host and cook for a family reunion, looks like there will be 35 people. I thought about Boston Butts and maybe some chicken thighs. I am not dead set on that but would like some suggestions and how much to cook, mostly adults. I have a XL with the two rack set up so I can get a good bit on there. 

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Pork butt and pork loin combo come to mind. You could turbo the butts at 350 then throw a loin or two on your top rack the last 2hrs
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm sure you could get 3-4 butts on the lower rack and cook some chicken or stuffed pork loins on the top.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lowandslow
    lowandslow Posts: 122
    Options
    I cooked for that amount on my XL last summer... 2 levels...2 Boston Butts on the lower and 6 racks of ribs in a rib rack on the upper.  Was perfect amount..  Once the butts and ribs are done, you can always fire up the temp to 400 and have some chicken thighs done in about 45 mins.
    Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    General guidelines-figure around 50% yield from the pre-cook weight for pork and chix (accounting for the bones).  Depending on sides and crowd make-up (adults vs kids) if you go with 4-5 oz cooked for each serving you can run the numbers to determine how to proceed.  Err on the conservative side so you don't run out.  Left-overs are a big hit.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Cookinslow
    Options
    Thanks for the tips.