Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fort Worth BBQ suggestions

Options
I'll be in Fort Worth in a couple weeks for a meeting. Any cant miss BBQ joint suggestions?  Or really any restaurant suggestions. Will be staying near the convention center. I'm flying in so no car but uber or taxi isn't out of the question if it's reasonably close. 

Comments

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I think Billy Oak Acres BBQ is the best around FW, but it's not near downtown. Heim BBQ on Magnolia will be the best near (Uber) downtown. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• TXSamIam
    TXSamIam Posts: 32
    Options
    Heim BBQ on Magnolia in the hospital district. Fairly new but has a cool story. Tried it a few weeks ago for the first time and I was very impressed.  The brisket was great as were the bacon burn ends.  Go early though because they tend to sell out.  We were that at 5:30 on a Saturday, the line was out the door and sold out of everything but brisket, sausage, and bacon burnt ends.

Here is the link to their website:  http://heimbbq.com/
  • jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    Options
    I still consider Angelo's a Fort Worth BBQ staple.  Maybe not the best BBQ you will ever eat, but it's one of those old BBQ joints that has been around since the 50's and is not too far from downtown to the northwest.

Thanks @Toxarch and @TXSamlam for the tip on Heim BBQ!  I'll have to check that out soon.  Great story on their website.

@Lowcountrygamecock you should also check out Velvet Taco while you're here.  Short ride west of downtown on West 7th.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    I have tried Heim's twice and thought it was good. I have noticed EVERY SINGLE TIME a barbecuer invokes Franklin's name to make you think they are authentic they do not use his method (you might be able to tell this annoys me a little bit).

Heim's story talks about getting their first propane tank to build a smoker from Franklin, well there is no offset smoker anywhere near that restaurant. You can go out back and check out the Oyler rotisseries (not a bad way to cook barbecue, and the best I have had in Fort Worth, but not an offset).

Check out Joe T. Garcia's for some good Tex-Mex. I like Fred's Texas off West 7th for a little authentic local Texas flavor. Sometimes they have good music also.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    Thanks. We'll add all those to the list. Only there three nights and one is tied up so we'll only be able to choose two spots for dinner. 
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Reata downtown, blackened Buffalo ribeye, medium rare w/ calf fries... killer meal!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    ibanda said:
    Check out Joe T. Garcia's for some good Tex-Mex. I like Fred's Texas off West 7th for a little authentic local Texas flavor. Sometimes they have good music also.
    I don't know why anyone eats at Joe T Garcia's. It's what I call Tourist Tex-Mex and I think the food is not that good. It's there to feed the Stockyards tourists. The Margaritas are good, the food is bland. I'd much rather go to Uncle Julio's, which started in Dallas but is now a chain. If I'm near the Stockyards and want authentic Mexican, I'd go to El Asadero. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    @jdkeithbge I haven't thought of Angelo's in years. We used to go there heavy in the 70's and 80's around new car time (Sept). 
    Best cold glass mugs of beer in Fort Worth. Peanuts on the floor. BBQ and the big moose head. 
    Would head there in a second if going to Fort Worth. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• TXSamIam
    TXSamIam Posts: 32
    Options
    First of all Joe T's isn't really Tex Mex, is more family style Mexican.  If you are looking for true tex mex there are tons of better places.  With that being said been in DFW for 20 years and love Joe T's.  great margaritas and great patio, the food isn't off the hook good but it is consistent and portions are good.
  • jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    Options
    Resurrecting this thread as I took a friend and client over to Heim's BBQ in Fort Worth today.  We had both been wanting to try it.  I had 2 meat combo with brisket and jalapeno-cheddar sausage.  It was very good, and made me wish I'd gotten more brisket.  Tater salad was great, coleslaw so-so.  Would recommend it highly though!  

@Lowcountrygamecock where'd you wind up going and did you enjoy your FW trip?

XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    Still a couple weeks out from the trip. I asked a little early I guess but I'm glad I did. That pic looks great. 
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    We hit Heim BBQ last night. Bacon burnt ends were phenomenal. Brisket was good and sides were good. Definitely good food and we may hit it again before we leave.