Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Sear Tri Tip Success

Options
dstearn
dstearn Posts: 1,702
This was my 2nd attempt at a reverse sear tri tip. Followed the Malcom Reed How to BBQ Right video. 
Rubbed the Tri Tips with Olive Oil and Raising the Steaks Rub.

Indirect at 250 dome with one chunk of post oak, pulled at 115 internal. Then direct at 4 mins per side.
Rested for 15 mins

Best Tri Tip so far. Next time I will try the Chimi Churi sauce recipe.

Comments

• PBandJ
    PBandJ Posts: 92
    Options
    Looks great. I need to try that.
    Woodbridge, Va.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Looks great!

Depending on how you like your beef, 4 minutes a side direct might have been more than necessary.  If it's up to 600° or 650°, 1 minute a side usually does a pretty good job of searing, it seems to me, and won't cook deeply at all into the meat.

Obviously, we all have different tastes, and the point always is to cook it exactly the way YOU love it!  :)
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Looks and sound delicious. All around great meal. I like some oak on my beef. 
  • dstearn
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Looks great!

Depending on how you like your beef, 4 minutes a side direct might have been more than necessary.  If it's up to 600° or 650°, 1 minute a side usually does a pretty good job of searing, it seems to me, and won't cook deeply at all into the meat.

Obviously, we all have different tastes, and the point always is to cook it exactly the way YOU love it!  :)
    Thanks, it was 500 dome when I seared it.
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    I can't get the pictures to load but it smells damn good.
    Snellville, GA

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    You gotta make the chimichurri. It's awesome and pairs so well with Tri-tip. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    You gotta make the chimichurri. It's awesome and pairs so well with Tri-tip. 
    The steak with a board sauce rocks.  I like brother @GATraveller really like it with a home made chimichurri.  Your steaks look tasty.  I also agree with @Theophan with a shorter sear so you get more of a MR.  To each his own.  Nice work.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Space_City_Egger
    Options
    Looks great. I've done tritip twice now. Both times using adam p Lang recipe. Only change I made was to cook reverse sear style. His rub and basting sauce is eggcellent. I will say his food has never failed me. But this isn't weeknight food  it's a lot of steps and rubs and bastes and finishing butters and etc. Tri tip is under appreciated. 
    Large

Houston,TX
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    From the pics it's pretty clear that the sear wasn't too long, too short if you want a better char. Pull it at 105-110 tops and sear at the highest heat you got for good char. It's all up to your instant read. I recommend the sear on another device. 
  • dstearn
    Options
    Next time I will set up a two zone cook on the XL. That way I do not have to wait as long for the temp to ramp up. I agree that it could have been a bit more rare and seared however the meat was moist and full of flavor throughtout the Tri Tip.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    From the pics it's pretty clear that the sear wasn't too long, too short if you want a better char. Pull it at 105-110 tops and sear at the highest heat you got for good char. It's all up to your instant read. I recommend the sear on another device. 
    I won't pretend to be an expert, but tri-tip is sort of a really thick steak, and 4 minutes a side is 8 minutes on pretty high heat, and that doesn't just sear, it COOKS.  An even longer "sear" would have removed any pink at all from that tri-tip.

I'm with you on the high heat.  I usually sear around 600°-650°, and at that hot, a minute a side usually does it, and a minute a side hardly causes any gray meat at all.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    love me some of that tri tip...

I did sous vide tri tip the week before last and it turned out incredible...sous vide for 9 hrs or so and perfection was achieved
  • GrillSgt
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Theophan said:
    GrillSgt said:
    I won't pretend to be an expert, but tri-tip is sort of a really thick steak, and 4 minutes a side is 8 minutes on pretty high heat, and that doesn't just sear, it COOKS.  An even longer "sear" would have removed any pink at all from that tri-tip.

I'm with you on the high heat.  I usually sear around 600°-650°, and at that hot, a minute a side usually does it, and a minute a side hardly causes any gray meat at all.
    That's because it was allowed to come too close to the desired IT before going for the sear.

Additionally. The meat will continue to cook while you are setting up your egg and waiting for it to come up to temp. So if you pull it at 120, there's a good chance it will be beyond 125 or more by the time it is back on the grill. That is why I suggest doing the sear on another device. You have already put as much flavor from the egg as you're going to get during the low and slow. The char is the additional flavor and that can be accomplished on charcoal or even gas.

EDIT: The meal should be ready to serve as soon as the steak comes off the grill. The sooner the better because again their is residual cooking going on until the meat is sliced.

That's my 3 cents.
  • dstearn
    Options
    I used Malcom Reed's video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCw0Fzd-vcI
    His Tri Tip was larger, which is why he went with 4 mins per side. Next time I will try to get a larger Tri Tip about 3LBs. He pulled it at 117 and it came out perfect. One thing I learned, when setting up for a reverse sear, make sure you light several spots in the lump otherwise it will take a while for the egg to get up to temp for the sear. I am ordering some stainless dividers from CGS so that I can easily set up for a reverse sear next time.
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    Looks way beyond medium rare in the video.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Did it today for tri tip tacos,  sv for 10 hrs at 131.  Costco tri tips,   shouldve gone 12 jrs

They were tender but not as much as last time i did the sv for 12.  Quick sear over pecan made for great flavor but i want more tender next time....