Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

60 and 180 days dry aged ribeyes

Options
paqman
paqman Posts: 4,670
edited April 2017 in EggHead Forum
While SWMBO was shopping with my mother in Montréal yesterday, I visited Le Marchand du Bourg, a specialty butcher shop that has been featured in a few TV shows lately. ~300$ for two 60 days and one 180 days dry aged ribeyes (2 inches thick each).

The place is a steak lover paradise.

The owner, Marc, is a stange individual.  I had to beg him to be able to purchase a "180 days" because you usually need to reserve them in advance.  He also insisted that I cook it in a pan, not on the BBQ.  I'm still debating if I'll listen to him or cook it on the BGE.  What do you think?

Comments

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    The Egg can do great things but for that money I think I'd go with the recommendation. Cast iron pan on the egg is probably how I would go. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Oh wow. I would listen to the man and cast iron those bad boys!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,304
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Will definitely be following this one. It will either be a magnificent cook or a train wreck that is simultaneously both hideous and glorious. Either way, a great spectacle.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    ....And for what it's worth, I agree with the above comments relating to heeding Marc's advice. 

If you're going to spend that much on rotten meat, you might as well follow the instructions.  ;)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Dang- talk about high-end living...congrats on the score.  Will be interested in your comparison of the 60 vs 180 day steak texture and taste.  
    And as above, I would go with a CI pan cook.  You will definitely get a better crust.  Any talk of hot tubbing and then searing off in the pan??
    Regardless, congrats on the buy and enjoy however you get there.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Da-n! What a great cook right there.  Congrats on nailing the cook and then follow-on eats.  Livin' large for sure.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Incredible steak- hope it tasted half as good as it looks. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • paqman
    Options

lousubcap said:
    Dang- talk about high-end living...congrats on the score.  Will be interested in your comparison of the 60 vs 180 day steak texture and taste.  
    And as above, I would go with a CI pan cook.  You will definitely get a better crust.  Any talk of hot tubbing and then searing off in the pan??
    Regardless, congrats on the buy and enjoy however you get there.
    @lousubcap We live in a small house, have just one car, no kids. I'd also say that we have above average revenues.  My father passed away when he was 46 years old.  I'm 39 and he was in much better shape than I am so I'm living each day like it was the last.

I will definitely comment back when I cook the "180 days".

I mentioned sous-vide to the owner and he almost changed his mind about selling me the "180 days".  I kinda agree with him... sous-vide is great with filet mignon and bavette but for ribeyes, I prefer traditional cooking methods.

Options
    This looks amazing. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Awesome cook!  I agree w SV that is isn't the best choice for ribeyes!  These ribeyes turned out excellent! 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    That came out fantastic!  Good job!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I'm gonna have to take a road trip to the East. That looks amazing. I will be sure to call ahead to reserve some steaks. 
    Those look absolutely amazing @paqman. Great job. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    what kind of sauce was on the side?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Thomasc18
    Thomasc18 Posts: 197
    Options
    Looks amazing!  
    Madison, AL
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    beautiful meat, perfectly cooked!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • paqman
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    what kind of sauce was on the side?
    @Hans61 HP sauce

Options
    "60 days" #2 is going on the egg in a few minutes.  SWMBO wanted to eat a salad tonight so it will all be for me  :o

Options
    @paqman -  now that is "striking while the iron is hot."  Well-played as long as you don't reveal the protein source or you may not be around to savor that 180 day protein.  ;)
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Good grief! Fine living @paqman , fine living indeed. Enjoy!
  • paqman
    Options
    #2 600F on the egg for 8 minutes flipping every minutes 

Options
    @paqman - way to mix it up.  Your opinion of the preferred method for the cook?  
    BTW- each method yielded great pics and I'm sure exceptional flavour (the GWN nod with that spelling).  
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    That steak looks incredible!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • CountryBoy
    CountryBoy Posts: 102
    Options
    Beautiful steaks! 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Wow... Wow... Wow!!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"